Congruences with Fractions: Understanding the Definition and Examples

• Thread starter Edgardo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractions
In summary: So it's not just about 0 mod n, it's about any number that doesn't have an inverse in that particular modulus.
Edgardo
I have a question about congruences involving fractions.

For integers a and b the following is defined:
a and b are congruent modulo m (m is a natural number) if there exists
an integer k such that k*m = a-b

[itex]a \equiv b (\mbox{mod } m) \Longleftrightarrow \exists k \in \mathbb{Z} : km = a-b[/itex]

For example:
[itex]13 \equiv 4 (\mbox{mod } 9)[/itex] because [itex]1 \cdot 9 = 13-4[/itex]On the Wolfram mathworld website there are other examples in (8):
[itex]2 \cdot 4 \equiv 1 (\mbox{mod } 7)[/itex]
[itex]3 \cdot 3 \equiv 2 (\mbox{mod } 7)[/itex]
[itex]6 \cdot 6 \equiv 1 (\mbox{mod } 7)[/itex]

So far, so good.

But then in (9) they write:

[itex]\frac{1}{2} \equiv 4 (\mbox{mod } 7)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{4} \equiv 2 (\mbox{mod } 7)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{2}{3} \equiv 3 (\mbox{mod } 7)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{6} \equiv 6 (\mbox{mod } 7)[/itex]

which I don't understand.

At first I thought that for fractions a and b the definition is just extended:
[itex]a \equiv b (\mbox{mod } m) \Longleftrightarrow \exists k \in \mathbb{Z} : km = a-b[/itex]
with a and b fractions (instead of just integers).

But the definition of congruence for fractions must be different since
there is no [itex]k \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] such that

[itex]\frac{1}{2} - 4 = k \cdot 7:[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{2} - 4 = k \cdot 7[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow \frac{1}{2} - \frac{8}{2} = k \cdot 7[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow -\frac{7}{2} = k \cdot 7[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow k=-\frac{1}{2}[/itex]My questions:
a) How are congruences defined for fractions? And why is (9) correct?
b) Does (8) imply (9) ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Congruences are not defined for fractions.

Instead of thinking about a/b as a fraction, let a/b mean a times the inverse of b.
So when we write
We don't mean the fraction 1/2, but 1 times the inverse of 2. The inverse of 2 is the number for which 2 * a = 1 mod 7, which is a = 4.
You can get (9) from (8) by multiplying each side of the congruence by the inverse of a certain element.
Also, be careful, 1/7 is not defined here mod 7 because 7 is congruent to 0 has no inverse. There is no number, a, for which 7 * a = 1 mod 7.

Update: I added the link to the Wolfram mathworld website in my first post.

And thanks for the answers so far.

MrJB said:
Instead of thinking about a/b as a fraction, let a/b mean a times the inverse of b.
So when we write
We don't mean the fraction 1/2, but 1 times the inverse of 2. The inverse of 2 is the number for which 2 * a = 1 mod 7, which is a = 4.

This is very helpful. I didn't know that the modular inverse was meant.
You wrote that "The inverse of 2 is the number for which 2 * a = 1 mod 7, which is a = 4".
Can I also choose a = 11 ?
Or does a have to be in a certain set?

MrJB said:
You can get (9) from (8) by multiplying each side of the congruence by the inverse of a certain element.
If I understood you correctly the following holds:

[tex]ab \equiv c (\mbox{mod }m) \Longleftrightarrow \frac{c}{a} \equiv b (\mbox{mod } m)[/tex]

For example: a=3, b=3, c=2 and m=7, then

[tex]3 \cdot 3 \equiv 2 (\mbox{mod }7) \Longleftrightarrow \frac{2}{3} \equiv 3 (\mbox{mod } 7)[/tex]

Ok. I think I have worked out why this is so.
MrJB said:
Also, be careful, 1/7 is not defined here mod 7 because 7 is congruent to 0 has no inverse. There is no number, a, for which 7 * a = 1 mod 7.

I understand that 1/7 is not defined in mod 7 because "There is no number a, for which 7 * a = 1 mod 7".
But what do you mean by the bold part?
And why the hint on 1/7?

Thanks.

Regards,
Edgardo

Last edited:
Edgardo said:
You wrote that "The inverse of 2 is the number for which 2 * a = 1 mod 7, which is a = 4".
Can I also choose a = 11 ?
Or does a have to be in a certain set?
You can choose a = 11, but of course 11 = 4 mod 7. In fact, any number which satisfies this equation must be congruent to 4 mod 7. Therefore, we tend to choose the least positive integer that satisfies the equation, because all the other solutions can be gotten by adding multiples of seven to it.

Thanks for the answer Moo of Doom. Also for the hint that you get other possible values for "a" if you add multiples of 7. I was trying to find another value and found a=11 only after considering
[itex]2a \equiv 1 (\mbox{mod } 7)[/itex] <=> 2a - 1 = 7k <=> 2a = 7k + 1
I plugged in k=1 which gives a=4,
then I set k=2 resulting in no possible a,
then I set k=3 and found a=11.

But as you said, it is easier to consider the following:
Let "a" satisfy [itex]2a \equiv 1(\mbox{mod } 7)[/itex], then "a+7p" satisfies [itex]2(a+7p) \equiv 1 (\mbox{mod } 7)[/itex].

Proof:
[itex]2a \equiv 1 (\mbox{mod } 7)[/itex]
<=> 2a-1 = 7k
<=> 2a + 2*7p - 1 = 7k + 2*7p
<=> 2(a+7p) - 1 = 7(k+2p)
<=>
[itex]2(a+7p) \equiv 1 (\mbox{mod } 7)[/itex]

Last edited:
What I mean is any number congruent to 0 mod 7 isn't going to have an inverse.
This is important because here,
[tex]ab \equiv c (\mbox{mod }m) \Longleftrightarrow \frac{c}{a} \equiv b (\mbox{mod } m)[/tex]
you are multiplying each side of the congruence by the inverse of a. If the inverse doesn't exist then this equation doesn't hold, or even make sense. The equation is true as long as a is not congruent to 0 mod 7.

Thanks for the answer MrJB!

I think it's also worth noting that in other moduli there are numbers without inverses that are not congruent to 0 mod n. For example, 2 has no inverse mod 4.

What are congruences with fractions?

Congruences with fractions are a type of mathematical equation or statement that represents the relationship between two fractions. They indicate that two fractions have the same remainder when divided by a certain number, known as the modulus.

How are congruences with fractions different from regular fractions?

Congruences with fractions use the symbol "≡" to indicate the relationship between two fractions, whereas regular fractions use the symbol "=". Additionally, congruences with fractions are often used in modular arithmetic, while regular fractions are used in basic arithmetic operations.

What is the purpose of using congruences with fractions?

Congruences with fractions are useful in number theory and cryptography, as they help to identify patterns and relationships between fractions. They can also simplify calculations and make solving equations more efficient.

How do you solve a congruence with fractions?

To solve a congruence with fractions, you need to find the modulo or modulus, which is the number that the fractions are divided by. Then, you can use basic arithmetic operations to manipulate the fractions and find a common remainder. This remainder represents the solution to the congruence with fractions.

Can congruences with fractions be used with any type of fraction?

No, congruences with fractions are typically used with proper fractions, which have numerators that are smaller than the denominators. Improper fractions and mixed numbers can also be used, but they must be converted to proper fractions first.