Brain Death in Frogs: Is it True?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain Death
In summary: If there is very low activity, then it would suggest that the frog is in a state of stasis (immanent death), rather than cell death.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just heard a scientist say that when frozen, frogs have NO brain activity, but that they can still be revived. Is this true? I knew that frogs could be frozen and revived, but I had never heard the claim about brain activity. If this is true, then when is a frog brain dead, and what is the difference between stasis and brain death; cell death?

Is this why people think we could be frozen and later revived with our consciousness intact?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/3209/05-ask.html" .

Given the statement that anaerobic glycolysis still occurs to meet the greatly reduced demand for energy, I'd suggest that significantly reduced metabolic activity indicates a state of stasis. Lack of metabolic activity would suggest (immanent) death.

I'm not very familiar with the human cryogenics issue, but aren't they freezing at temperatures well below the -5 degrees Celsius mentioned for frogs? Some minimal level of cellular metabolism is still possible in frogs, it seems, under those conditions. Being frozen at -100 deg. Celsius is a whole different manner, even with lots of cryoprotectant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does "metabolic activity" imply "brain activity" such as we might measure with an EEG, or does this relate only to the supply of nutrients for the cells?

I would not imagine there to be any electrical activity as measurable by an EEG to be present, simply just a very low baseline activity of biochemical reactions("metabolic activity"). There's no circulation, no sense in propagating nerve signals as the frog is otherwise frozen, just a very slow turnover over the nutrients that are already present in the frog's cells.

Of course, this is just my speculation as, like the scientist on the NOVA page notes, there are no definitive published accounts regarding brain activity in frozen frogs. I would imagine that one would need to monitor the frozen frog for the entire period of its low-temperature hibernation - maybe there's very, very low-frequency behavior going on that otherwise goes undetected.

Mike H said:
Of course, this is just my speculation as, like the scientist on the NOVA page notes, there are no definitive published accounts regarding brain activity in frozen frogs. I would imagine that one would need to monitor the frozen frog for the entire period of its low-temperature hibernation - maybe there's very, very low-frequency behavior going on that otherwise goes undetected.

Yes, whether or not there are very low levels of electrical activity would seem to have profound implications; that is to say, if indeed there is no electrical activity.

Last edited:

What is brain death in frogs?

Brain death in frogs refers to a state where the frog's brain has ceased to function, leading to the loss of neurological activity and ultimately, the cessation of vital bodily functions. This is typically seen as the end stage of a severe brain injury or illness.

Is brain death reversible in frogs?

No, brain death in frogs is not reversible. Unlike in humans, there is no known medical intervention or treatment that can revive brain function in frogs once it has ceased. However, in some cases, certain reflexes may continue to occur even after brain death, giving the appearance of life.

How is brain death determined in frogs?

The determination of brain death in frogs is based on a series of physical and neurological tests. These tests assess the frog's ability to respond to stimuli, maintain basic vital functions, and demonstrate any signs of brain activity. If there is no response to these tests, brain death can be confirmed.

Can a frog experience brain death without physical injury?

Yes, a frog can experience brain death without any physical injury. This can occur due to various causes such as infections, toxins, or metabolic disorders that affect the brain's functioning. It is also possible for brain death to occur as a natural part of the frog's aging process.

Is brain death in frogs the same as death in humans?

No, brain death in frogs and death in humans are not the same. While brain death in frogs signifies the complete loss of brain function, death in humans is a more complex concept that involves the cessation of not only brain function but also heart and respiratory function. Additionally, the ethical and legal implications of brain death differ between frogs and humans.