Prove Limit of f(x)=x4: Proving a=a4

In summary: Then, I will let |x-a| < \delta1 where \delta1 is a positive number such that f(x) < -M whenever 0 < a-x < \delta1So, x>a ...(2)From (1) and (2), x cannot be greater than or less than a which is a contradiction.2nd caseFor all M , where M is a arbitrary large number, there exists \delta>0 such that f(x)>M whenever 0 < x-a < \delta0 < x-a < \delta.a < x < a+ \deltaTherefore x>a ...(3)Let |x-a| < \delta1 where \delta1 is a positive number such that
tanzl

Homework Statement

Prove that lim (f(x) , x=a) = a4 where f(x)=x4

Homework Equations

I think I understand the mechanics of limit proof. I just want to improve my way of presenting it because sometimes even I feel ambiguous for my own works.

The Attempt at a Solution

For all [tex]\epsilon[/tex]>0, there exists [tex]\delta[/tex]>0 such that if 0 < |x-a| < [tex]\delta[/tex], then |f(x)-a4| < [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

I think the mechanic of the proof is I need to find delta in terms of epsilon such that it satisfies all the conditions above. (or another way round, for me, the proof more like I need to express f(x)-L where L is the limit in terms of delta so that I could make it smaller than epsilon... please correct me)

So, the first thing I need to do is to express |f(x)-a4| in terms of delta.
|f(x)-a4|
=|x^4 - a^4|
=|x-a| * |x3 + ax2 + a2x + a3|
<=|x-a| * |x3| + |ax2| + |a2x| + |a3|

My problem comes, (when it starts to sound ambiguous)
What I do is I will let |x-a| < [tex]\delta[/tex]1 where [tex]\delta[/tex]1 is a positive number such that |x3| + |ax2| + |a2x| + |a3| < P where P is a positive number.

My reason of doing this is I need to obtain a close interval for the expression |x3| + |ax2| + |a2x| + |a3| so that I can make |f(x) - L| smaller than epsilon. Therefore, I started out by letting |x-a| smaller than [tex]\delta[/tex]1 which is a arbitrary positive number. Then by algebraic manipulation, I can obtain an inequality of |x| smaller than [tex]\delta[/tex]1 +a . So when I substitute [tex]\delta[/tex]1 +a into each terms of |x3| + |ax2| + |a2x| + |a3|, I can get inequality of each terms smaller than something. To save the trouble, I let the whole expression less than P which is also an arbitrary positive number.

Since |x3| + |ax2| + |a2x| + |a3| < P
then |x-a| * |x3| + |ax2| + |a2x| + |a3| < [tex]\delta[/tex] *P

So, when I let [tex]\delta[/tex] *P = [tex]\epsilon[/tex]. (I should express delta in terms of epsilon or epsilon in terms of delta?? The first sounds more correct for me because our mission is to find a delta for any given epsilon)

|f(x)-a4| < [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

Done.

Please feel free to correct me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll rewrite what you've wrote thus far.

[tex]\forall \epsilon > 0, \exists \delta > 0[/tex] such that [tex] \left| x^4 - a^4 \right| < \epsilon[/tex] whenever [tex]0 < \left| x -a \right| < \delta[/tex]

From here, we need:

[tex]\left| x^4 - a^4 \right| < \epsilon [/tex]

Factor we get:

[tex] \left| x - a \right| \left| x^3 + a^{2}x+x^{2}a+a^3 \right| < \epsilon[/tex]

Since we have that [tex] \delta > \left| x - 2 \right| [/tex], then you need to find a delta such that

[tex] \left| x - a \right| \left| x^3 + a^{2}x+x^{2}a+a^3 \right| < \left| x - a\right|*P < \delta*P < \epsilon[/tex]

Naturally, you want such that [tex]\delta = \frac{\epsilon}{P}[/tex]

Hope that helps.

tanzl said:

Homework Statement

Prove that lim (f(x) , x=a) = a4 where f(x)=x4

Homework Equations

I think I understand the mechanics of limit proof. I just want to improve my way of presenting it because sometimes even I feel ambiguous for my own works.

The Attempt at a Solution

For all [tex]\epsilon[/tex]>0, there exists [tex]\delta[/tex]>0 such that if 0 < |x-a| < [tex]\delta[/tex], then |f(x)-a4| < [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

I think the mechanic of the proof is I need to find delta in terms of epsilon such that it satisfies all the conditions above. (or another way round, for me, the proof more like I need to express f(x)-L where L is the limit in terms of delta so that I could make it smaller than epsilon... please correct me)

So, the first thing I need to do is to express |f(x)-a4| in terms of delta.
|f(x)-a4|
=|x^4 - a^4|
=|x-a| * |x3 + ax2 + a2x + a3|
<=|x-a| * |x3| + |ax2| + |a2x| + |a3|
You need parentheses, of course. But there is no reason to break up |x3+ ax2+ a2+ a3|. It's awkward and doesn't help.

My problem comes, (when it starts to sound ambiguous)
What I do is I will let |x-a| < [tex]\delta[/tex]1 where [tex]\delta[/tex]1 is a positive number such that |x3| + |ax2| + |a2x| + |a3| < P where P is a positive number.

My reason of doing this is I need to obtain a close interval for the expression |x3| + |ax2| + |a2x| + |a3| so that I can make |f(x) - L| smaller than epsilon. Therefore, I started out by letting |x-a| smaller than [tex]\delta[/tex]1 which is a arbitrary positive number. Then by algebraic manipulation, I can obtain an inequality of |x| smaller than [tex]\delta[/tex]1 +a . So when I substitute [tex]\delta[/tex]1 +a into each terms of |x3| + |ax2| + |a2x| + |a3|, I can get inequality of each terms smaller than something. To save the trouble, I let the whole expression less than P which is also an arbitrary positive number.

Since |x3| + |ax2| + |a2x| + |a3| < P
then |x-a| * |x3| + |ax2| + |a2x| + |a3| < [tex]\delta[/tex] *P

So, when I let [tex]\delta[/tex] *P = [tex]\epsilon[/tex]. (I should express delta in terms of epsilon or epsilon in terms of delta?? The first sounds more correct for me because our mission is to find a delta for any given epsilon)

|f(x)-a4| < [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

Done.

Please feel free to correct me.
You are assuming, in any case, that x is close to a, say a-1< x< a+1. x2< (a+1)2 and x3< (a+ 1)3. That should let you set an upperbound on |x3+ ax2+ a2+ a3|.

It helps a lot. Thank you.

I have a paradox here. Please tell me what is wrong.
I need to prove that limit (f(x) , x = a-) = -[tex]\infty[/tex]
f(x) = [tex]\frac{x}{(x-1)^2(x-3)}[/tex]

1st case

For all M , where M is a arbitrary large number, there exists [tex]\delta[/tex]>0 such that f(x)<M whenever 0 < a-x < [tex]\delta[/tex]

0 < a-x < [tex]\delta[/tex].
a-[tex]\delta[/tex] < x < a
Therefore x<a ...(1)

Let |x-a| < [tex]\delta[/tex]1 where [tex]\delta[/tex]1 is a positive number such that [tex]\frac{1}{(x-1)^2(x-3)}[/tex] < P where P is a positive number. ...(2)

< [tex]\frac{a}{P}[/tex] ... from (1) and (2)
Let [tex]\frac{a}{P}[/tex]=M
f(x) < M

Done.

2nd case

For all M , where M is a arbitrary large number, there exists [tex]\delta[/tex]>0 such that f(x)>M whenever 0 < a-x < [tex]\delta[/tex]
I proved this for fun at first. But, it bothers me when it became confusing that the proof contradicts itself.

As above,
0 < a-x < [tex]\delta[/tex].
a-[tex]\delta[/tex] < x < a
Therefore x>a-[tex]\delta[/tex] ...(1)

Let |x-a| < [tex]\delta[/tex]1 where [tex]\delta[/tex]1 is a positive number such that [tex]\frac{1}{(x-1)^2(x-3)}[/tex] > P where P is a positive number. ...(2)

> [tex]\frac{a-\delta}{P}[/tex] ... from (1) and (2)
Let [tex]\frac{a-\delta}{P}[/tex]=M
f(x) > M

Done.

I derive the both cases with the same arguments but obtain opposite result. What is wrong with my proof and how valid this proof can be?

How to type limit notation by LATEX...

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of a limit in calculus?

A limit is the value that a function approaches as the input (x) approaches a certain value. It is denoted as lim f(x) or f(x) as x approaches a specific value.

2. How do you prove that the limit of f(x) is equal to a specific value?

To prove that the limit of f(x) is equal to a specific value, we must show that the function f(x) approaches that value as x approaches the given value. This can be done by using the definition of a limit and showing that as x gets closer and closer to the given value, the value of f(x) also gets closer and closer to the desired limit.

3. What is the limit of f(x) when x approaches 0?

In this case, the limit of f(x) would be equal to 0. This can be proven by substituting 0 for x in the function f(x) and showing that the value of f(x) approaches 0 as x gets closer and closer to 0.

4. Can you use algebra to prove the limit of f(x)?

Yes, algebraic manipulation can be used to prove the limit of a function. This involves simplifying the function and showing that as x approaches a certain value, the simplified function also approaches a specific value.

5. How does proving a limit help us understand the behavior of a function?

Proving the limit of a function can help us understand how the function behaves near a certain value. It can show us if the function is continuous or has any discontinuities, and it can also help us find the slope of a function at a specific point. This information can be useful in many applications of calculus, such as optimization and curve sketching.