What is the difference between degree and level of order?

In summary, in David Bohm's book "Science Order and Creativity," he discusses the concepts of level of order and degree of order. He explains that when multiple sub systems are connected to create a new global order, it is an order of a higher degree. However, if the level of order is still low, the system will not work effectively. Bohm believes that in order for the world to work properly, there needs to be a higher degree of order, where there is only one country and one religion. This is how he sees it in his book.
eranb2
in bohm's book he speaks about both but what is the meaning of each?

level of order
degree of order

how are they relate to each other?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
if i take 10 sub systems and connects them to one system then I've created a new global order which is an order of a higher degree.

but, the level of order is still low, there is a mess , the system does not work.
i need to rise the level of order in the system so it will work.

when the degree gets higher i must take up the level as well so the system will work.
think about the world , the global world is a higher degree of order but the world still lives in low level of order (countries, religions) only when there will one country, one religion, the world will work fine.

this is how bohm's book sees it, i think...

what do you think?

it is on pages 121-122

science order and creativity

by:
david bohm and f. david peat

Sounds like this topic is more suited for philosophy, not physics. I'll move it.

What is the difference between degree and level of order?

Degree of order refers to the amount of organization or arrangement in a system or structure. It is measured by the number of steps or levels required to reach a fully ordered state. On the other hand, level of order refers to the degree of complexity or chaos present in a system. It is often described as a spectrum ranging from complete disorder to complete order.

How do degree and level of order relate to each other?

Degree of order and level of order are closely related, but they are not the same. The degree of order can affect the level of order, as a highly ordered system will typically have a low level of disorder. However, there can be situations where a system has a high degree of order but also a high level of disorder, such as in a crystal with defects.

What factors can affect the degree and level of order in a system?

Several factors can influence the degree and level of order in a system, such as temperature, pressure, and external forces. For example, increasing the temperature of a system can lead to a decrease in the degree of order, resulting in a higher level of disorder.

How are degree and level of order measured or quantified?

Degree of order and level of order can be measured or quantified in various ways, depending on the type of system being studied. In some cases, mathematical equations or statistical tools can be used to determine the degree and level of order. In other cases, qualitative observations or measurements can provide insight into the organization and complexity of a system.

What are some real-world examples of degree and level of order?

Degree and level of order can be observed in various systems and structures in our daily lives. For instance, the arrangement of atoms in a crystal is an example of the degree of order, while the level of order can be seen in the organization of a city's transportation system or the complexity of a living organism's DNA. Understanding the degree and level of order in different systems is crucial for many scientific fields, such as materials science, biology, and physics.