Dual-Channel Sine-cosine generator

• Thread starter Jdo300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Generator
In summary, Jason is looking for a ready-made solution for generating a fast rotating magnetic field using two out of phase sine waves. He has found a DDS board on eBay that could work, but is looking for other options. VK6KRO suggests using two 8 bit eproms programmed for 90 degrees out of phase sinewaves, but Jason prefers to use DDS ICs controlled by a microcontroller. He is hoping to find an off the shelf solution before developing his own.
Jdo300
Hello All,

I am doing some random experiments where I want to generate a very fast rotating magnetic field using two out of phase sine waves (90 degrees separated). I wanted to ask you all here if you have ever seen any kits for a dual sine wave generator that allows the user to adjust the phase shift. I know that I could build something using Op-amps but I'm really looking for an off the shelf solution (a kit or something) that I can put together. If anyone is curious, the frequency range I'm aiming for is 1Hz to 1Mhz roughly. So far I found a nice DDS board on eBay that would do exactly what I want if it had two channels:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/N3ZI-80-MHz-30MHz-DDS-Direct-Digital-Synthesizer_W0QQitemZ130306100829QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1e56d94e5d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1215|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

but so far I haven't found anything else. Any tips would be crealy appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know of any ready made units, but I can suggest one approach.

If you get two 8 bit eproms and program them for 8 bit sinewaves out, but calculated to be 90 degrees out of phase with each other, you could produce the sinewaves from ladder networks or D to A converters. You would have to clock them together at 256 times the output frequency, so clocking at 10 MHz would give an output frequency of about 39 KHz.

This frequency could be higher if you could accept a rougher sinewave by taking bigger steps than 1 degree.

I have an Excel file that does this if you want to go that way. The graphs in Excel look like very acceptable sinewaves.

If you used a large enough EPROM, you could program it to give smaller steps in phase by storing alternative sets of data.

Last edited:
Hi vk6kro,

That's an interesting approach, I have thought about that myself, but honestly, if I end up making something like that, I'd probably use DDS ICs controlled by a microcontroller. I know that Analog Devices makes some nice ones that would probably work fine. I was just hoping to find an off the shelf solution before looking into developing such a thing myself.

Thanks,
Jason O

What is a dual-channel sine-cosine generator?

A dual-channel sine-cosine generator is a scientific instrument used to produce two separate electrical signals that vary in amplitude and phase, mimicking the mathematical functions of sine and cosine waves.

What is the purpose of a dual-channel sine-cosine generator?

The purpose of a dual-channel sine-cosine generator is to provide a precise and stable source of sine and cosine wave signals for use in various scientific and engineering applications, such as testing and calibrating electronic devices, studying wave behavior, and conducting experiments in physics and mathematics.

How does a dual-channel sine-cosine generator work?

A dual-channel sine-cosine generator works by using an electronic circuit to generate two separate signals, one representing a sine wave and the other representing a cosine wave. These signals can be adjusted in frequency, amplitude, and phase to produce a variety of waveforms.

What are the features of a dual-channel sine-cosine generator?

Some common features of a dual-channel sine-cosine generator include adjustable frequency range, variable amplitude and phase settings, waveform selection, and output amplification. Some models may also have additional features such as frequency modulation, sweep function, and external synchronization.

What are the applications of a dual-channel sine-cosine generator?

A dual-channel sine-cosine generator has many applications in various fields, including electrical engineering, physics, mathematics, and telecommunications. It is commonly used for testing and calibrating electronic devices, studying wave behavior, and conducting experiments in signal processing and circuit analysis.