Determine whether the series converges or diverges problem

• Thread starter mattmannmf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary: Then could I just say since 3/4n diverges then sin(3/4n) must also diverge?In summary, Dick is suggesting that you try to compare your series with another series. Your given series has terms of the form \sin(x) where x=\frac{3}{4n}. How does \sin(x) compare to \frac{x}{2} if |x|<1?
mattmannmf
given the series, determine whether the series converges or diverges:
(E is my sigma)

E sin(4/3n)

originally i started with the integral test and i got up to the point where
(integral) sin (4/(3x)) dx

but i could not come up with how to solve the integral yet. (maybe by parts)

I was talking to a friend and he said he solved it by direct comparison or limit comparison.
Now he said he used 1/n (harmonic p-series diverges) to relate to the problem but I am stuck on how to get rid of the sin. Once i figure that out that its all easy.

Am i able to remove the sin out of the whole problem or what? not sure. any help would be great

Physics news on Phys.org

how about the magnitude of the nth term - does it go to zero for large n?

Can you show that if x close enough to 0 then sin(x)>x/2?

lanedance said:
how about the magnitude of the nth term - does it go to zero for large n?

The poster means sin(4/(3n)), not sin((4/3)*n).

im not sure what you mean by that

mattmannmf said:

Pretty much what I said to begin with. I mean can you show that if x is positive and close to zero, that sin(x)>x/2? That's one way to 'get rid of the sin' by using a comparison test.

Dick said:
Can you show that if x close enough to 0 then sin(x)>x/2?

what do you mean if x get close enough to 0 than sin(x)>x/2?

are you talking about the squeeze thrm?
ill try to solve the integral using by parts

where are you getting the x?

i only got the x from doing the integral test. if not than shouldn't it be n's?

mattmannmf said:

Dick is suggesting that you try to compare your series with another series. Your given series has terms of the form [itex]\sin(x)[/itex] where [itex]x=\frac{3}{4n}[/itex]. How does [itex]\sin(x)[/itex] compare to [itex]\frac{x}{2}[/itex] if [itex]|x|<1[/itex]?

If you can show [itex]\sin(x) > \frac{x}{2}[/itex], what does it say about

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \underbrace{\sin\left(\frac{3}{4n}\right)}_{\sin(x)}
\quad \text{vs}\quad \sum_{n=1}^\infty \underbrace{\frac{1}{2}\cdot \frac{3}{4n}}_{\frac{1}{2}x}[/tex]

rs1n said:
Dick is suggesting that you try to compare your series with another series. Your given series has terms of the form [itex]\sin(x)[/itex] where [itex]x=\frac{3}{4n}[/itex]. How does [itex]\sin(x)[/itex] compare to [itex]\frac{x}{2}[/itex] if [itex]|x|<1[/itex]?

If you can show [itex]\sin(x) > \frac{x}{2}[/itex], what does it say about

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \underbrace{\sin\left(\frac{3}{4n}\right)}_{\sin(x)}
\quad \text{vs}\quad \sum_{n=1}^\infty \underbrace{\frac{1}{2}\cdot \frac{3}{4n}}_{\frac{1}{2}x}[/tex]

Thank you for explaining it so well rs1n!

ok. So i understand that you substituted x= 3/4n

if i show that sin(x) > x/2 than the series converges. is that what your saying?

mattmannmf said:
ok. So i understand that you substituted x= 3/4n

if i show that sin(x) > x/2 than the series converges. is that what your saying?

Look up the direct comparison test, and see if you are applying it correctly. Does the series [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \left(\frac{1}{2}\cdot \frac{3}{4n}\right)[/itex] converge or diverge? (What special series does it almost look like?)

looks like the harmonic p-series 1/n which diverges.

so are you saying that by comparing 1/n p-series diverges

then (1/2* 3/4n) must also diverge

indicating that sin(3/4n) diverges also?

mattmannmf said:
so are you saying that by comparing 1/n p-series diverges

then (1/2* 3/4n) must also diverge

indicating that sin(3/4n) diverges also?

That's the idea, but you actually need to show that those statements are true.

Now wouldn't it just be the same if i compared 1/n to 3/4n to diverge

Then could I just say since 3/4n diverges then sin(3/4n) must also diverge?

I wouldn't really know how to do the algebra for the direct comparison test or limit comparison test with the sin being there. But i can do the algebra for comparing 1/n with 3/4n

1. What is the definition of a convergent series?

A convergent series is a series in which the sum of all its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases.

2. How do I determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

To determine if a series is convergent or divergent, you can use various tests such as the comparison test, ratio test, or the integral test. These tests involve evaluating the limit of the series' terms and comparing it to known convergent or divergent series.

3. Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series cannot be both convergent and divergent at the same time. It can either approach a finite value (converge) or its terms can increase without bound (diverge).

4. What are some common types of divergent series?

Some common types of divergent series include harmonic series, geometric series with a ratio greater than 1, and alternating series that does not satisfy the alternating series test.

5. Are there any shortcuts to determine if a series converges or diverges?

While there are no shortcuts to determine if a series converges or diverges, there are some useful guidelines. For example, if a series has a known type such as a geometric series or a p-series, it can be easier to determine if it converges or diverges. Additionally, if a series alternates between positive and negative terms, the alternating series test can be applied. However, ultimately, it is important to use proper tests and methods to determine the convergence or divergence of a series.