ODEs with variable coefficients

In summary, someone cannot help you to solve a PDE because they do not know how to do that. PDEs are quite complicated.
omarxx84
Can anyone help me to get the general solution of the linear partial differential equations with variable coefficients of any order?

Physics news on Phys.org
No one knows how to do that. PDEs are quite complicated.

can anyone help me to solve this ODE:
A(x)Y''''(x,t)+M(x)W''(x,t)=0
where: A(x) and M(x) are variable coefficients
Y''''(x,t) 4th derivative with respect to x.
w''(x,t) 2nd derivative with respect to t.

omarxx84 said:

That is a PDE, not an ODE. What is A, what is M, what is Y, what is W? What are boundary/initial values? Unless you get specific, espcially regarding A and M, no one can help you.

jason

this PDE is correct. but when i use the separation of variables principle to solve this equation, the resulting two equations are ODEs, which may as follows:
A(x)Y''''(x,t)+M(x)Y''(x,t)=0 ...(1) (main equation)
PUT : Y=F(x)W(t) AND SUBSITITUTING IN THE ABOVE EQUATION AND SEPERATING THE VARIABLES, WE GET THE TWO ODEs AS FOLLOWS:
W''(t)-aW(t)=0 ...(2)
where: a is arbitrary constant. this may be solved easily.and the second ODE is:
{A(x)/M(x)}F''''(x)-aF(x)=0 ...(3)
this equation is linear ODE with variable coefficient.
in which: A(x) and M(x) are variable coefficients along x-axis.
a is arbitrary constant, from separation of variable process.
by solving equation(3) and compiling with the solution of equation(2), we will get the solution of equation(1). so, the problem is how we can solve the equation(3). boundary or initial conditions, i don't we need now to solve equation(3).

omarxx84 said:
[tex]A(x)\frac{\partial^4 Y}{\partial x^4}+ M(x)\frac{\partial^2M}{\partial t^2}= 0[/tex]
Not only do you have two independent variables, x and t, you have two dependent variables, Y and M. One equation is not sufficient to solve for two unknown functions.

Last edited by a moderator:
omarxx84 said:
this PDE is correct. but when i use the separation of variables principle to solve this equation, the resulting two equations are ODEs, which may as follows:
A(x)Y''''(x,t)+M(x)Y''(x,t)=0 ...(1) (main equation)
PUT : Y=F(x)W(t) AND SUBSITITUTING IN THE ABOVE EQUATION AND SEPERATING THE VARIABLES, WE GET THE TWO ODEs AS FOLLOWS:
W''(t)-aW(t)=0 ...(2)
where: a is arbitrary constant. this may be solved easily.and the second ODE is:
{A(x)/M(x)}F''''(x)-aF(x)=0 ...(3)
this equation is linear ODE with variable coefficient.
in which: A(x) and M(x) are variable coefficients along x-axis.
a is arbitrary constant, from separation of variable process.
by solving equation(3) and compiling with the solution of equation(2), we will get the solution of equation(1). so, the problem is how we can solve the equation(3). boundary or initial conditions, i don't we need now to solve equation(3).

What you seemed to want was:

[itex]A(x)\frac{\partial^4 Y}{\partial x^4}+M(x)\frac{\partial^2 Y}{\partial t^2}=0[/itex]

and by letting [itex]Y(x,t)=F(x)W(t)[/itex] and separation constant equal to a, you get one ODE in t and another ODE in x. You then want to know how to solve the ODE in x:

[itex]\frac{d^4 F}{dx^4}=b(x)F[/itex]

where [itex]b(x)=\frac{aM(x)}{A(x)}[/itex]

Here's what I'd do with this and every other problem like it: First just try it in Mathematica or Wolfram Alpha:

DSolve[y''''[x] == b[x] y[x], y, x]

who knows, might get an answer and then that answer could conceivably help you derive an analytical method to obtain it. However in this case, Mathematica can't come up with one. Doesn't mean some nice method can't find it but rather, just Mathematica. However if A(x) is a constant and M(x) is a polynomial, then looks like you could solve it via simple power series. Additionally if b(x) is analytic with power series [itex]b(x)=\sum c_n x^n[/itex] you could still conceivably solve it via power series but would need to form the Cauchy Product of the resulting series product. For example, the equation [itex]y''''-e^x y=0[/itex] is not too hard to solve this way for say x in (0,1). See "Intermediate Differential Equations" by Rainville for a (simple) example.

Last edited:
i want to ask. what are the "differential forms"? and what are the distinct applications?

Hi colleages. can you help me to solve the cubic equation below:
2N(Ep-En)hp^3(x)-3[M(x,t)(Ep-En)-2NEnh]hp^2(x)-6Enh[M(x,t)+Nh]hp(x)+Enh^2[3M(x,t)+2Nh]=0 notice that all variables in the equation are dependent on x only, except M is dependent on x and t.
En, Ep, N and h are constants.
i know the solution when the equation dependent on one variable, but the problem is that M dependent on two variables x and t.
please help me and i will be very grateful for you...

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME A GUIDANCE TO SOLVE THE EQUATION BELOW:

EI(x,t)U''''(x,t)+M(x,t)V''(x,t)=0
where
U''''=4th partial derivative with respect to x only.
V''=2nd partial derivative with respect to t only.

please, my colleages, can tell me is the equation below is linear or nonlinear PDE?
EI(x,t)U''''(x,t)+M(x,t)V''(x,t)=0
U''''=4th partial derivative with respect to x only.
V''=2nd partial derivative with respect to t only.

Since you have no powers or more complicated functions of the dependent variables U and V, that is a linear equations. However, I will say once more- if you have two dependent variables to solve for, you will need two equations.

However, I will say once more- if you have two dependent variables to solve for, you will need two equations.

So what about the equation I asked about in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=410984 , which is

[tex]\Delta[/tex]u(x,y) = u(x,y)*f(x,y)

Does this fall into the same category? It seems to me that there is only one unknown equation with two variables, however, does this count as two equations if f is separable?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much. but is the equation ( EI(x,t)U''''(x,t)+M(x,t)V''(x,t)=0 )separable or not?How?if it isnot separable how can be solved?

1. What is an ODE with variable coefficients?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) with variable coefficients is a type of differential equation where the coefficients of the dependent variable are not constant, but instead depend on the independent variable.

2. How are ODEs with variable coefficients solved?

There is no general method for solving ODEs with variable coefficients. However, some techniques that can be used include separation of variables, substitution, and power series solutions.

3. What are the applications of ODEs with variable coefficients?

ODEs with variable coefficients have many applications in physics, engineering, and other areas of science. They are commonly used to model real-world phenomena such as heat transfer, population growth, and chemical reactions.

4. How do ODEs with variable coefficients differ from ODEs with constant coefficients?

The main difference is that in ODEs with variable coefficients, the coefficients of the dependent variable are not constant and may change with the independent variable. This makes the equations more complex and often more difficult to solve.

5. Are there any special techniques for solving specific types of ODEs with variable coefficients?

Yes, there are some special techniques for solving certain types of ODEs with variable coefficients. For example, the method of variation of parameters can be used to solve linear ODEs with variable coefficients, while the Frobenius method is often used for solving certain types of second-order ODEs with variable coefficients.