Leo Tolstoy: A Confession

• Thread starter dekoi
  • Start date
I haven't read the whole piece, but from what I understand, Tolstoy's "A Confession" explores his journey towards finding meaning in life and how he came to realize that truth and faith are the most important things to hold onto. He also emphasizes the dangers of living without faith and how it can lead to a moral death. Overall, Tolstoy's message is one of seeking truth and having faith in order to find true purpose and meaning in life.
dekoi
Leo Tolstoy: A Confession

Has anyone read this piece? I believe i only have an excerpt, and it begins with the words Although I regarded authorship as a waste of time..." and ends in, "...i saw that that was life itself and that the meaning given to this life was truth, and i accepted it."

What are your opinions of this? Please share, I am very much interested.

Physics news on Phys.org
From that he seems to have a strong oppinion in that holding on to truth is the biggest thing you can achieve for. He put this ideal before his personal feelings on his results.
That he was trying to find meaning and if what he did was of good. The thing that made it good was the Truth.

Greatly said pace. I am assuming you haven't read the whole piece though? Am i correct?

I believe Tolstoy also emphasizes the need for faith. He feels faith is what will guide us into the right direction, and without faith, we are better of dead. You see, faith is what holds human nature together; without it, we become lost, mislead, and ultimately morally dead in the soul.

Anyone else willing to share?

I think the thing is the realization of Faith. That we cannot know, so we must admit that this is what we're have. Kinda being realistic.

dekoi said:
Greatly said pace. I am assuming you haven't read the whole piece though? Am i correct?

Thanks! And you are correct.

Last edited:

1. What is "Leo Tolstoy: A Confession" about?

"Leo Tolstoy: A Confession" is an autobiographical work written by the renowned Russian author Leo Tolstoy. It details his spiritual and philosophical journey towards finding meaning and purpose in life.

2. When was "Leo Tolstoy: A Confession" written?

"Leo Tolstoy: A Confession" was written in 1879 and first published in 1882.

3. What influenced Tolstoy to write this work?

Tolstoy was deeply influenced by his moral and spiritual crisis, which led him to question his own beliefs and search for a deeper understanding of life. He was also inspired by the works of philosophers such as Socrates and Buddha.

4. How does "Leo Tolstoy: A Confession" relate to Tolstoy's other works?

"Leo Tolstoy: A Confession" is considered a departure from Tolstoy's previous literary works, as it focuses more on his personal beliefs and struggles rather than fictional stories. However, his reflections on morality and the meaning of life can be seen in his other works such as "War and Peace" and "Anna Karenina".

5. What impact did "Leo Tolstoy: A Confession" have on Tolstoy's life and legacy?

"Leo Tolstoy: A Confession" had a profound impact on Tolstoy's life, as it marked a turning point in his spiritual journey and led him to embrace a simpler, more ascetic lifestyle. It also influenced his later works, which focused more on moral and philosophical themes. This work is also considered an important part of Tolstoy's legacy, as it provides insight into his personal beliefs and struggles.