Was the bombing of cities during WWII considered terrorism?

• News
  • Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed whether the bombings of cities such as Dresden, Tokyo, and Hiroshima could be considered terrorism. Some participants voted no, arguing that it did not fit the definition of terrorism as it was not unlawful or politically/religiously motivated. Others voted yes, stating that it was unnecessary and purely meant to intimidate the enemy. The use of atomic bombs against Japan was also brought up, with some arguing that it was justified in the context of a declared war and warning given to the enemy.

Was it terrorism when the Dresden, Tokyo, Hiroshima, and other cities were bombed?

• Yes

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters
Adam
Was it terrorism when the Dresden, Tokyo, Hiroshima, and other such cities were bombed?

Physics news on Phys.org
I voted no on this one, only because I don't believe that it fits the dictionary definition of terrorism. It's was not found to be unlawful, it was not gang related, nor do I believe it was "political or religious or ideological in nature".

I voted no because all inhabitants of this countries knew their government was in war with another country. So that, they were prevented.

I voted no

I voted yes because it was completely unnecessary to the war, it was purely to scare the soviets.

No. In the case of Japan, we were in a declared war, the country was asked to surrender and told that a weapon that would cause immeasurable destruction was going to be used against them. They were warned prior to the attack. Although the cities bombed were populated by a large percentage of civilians, the cities were chosen because of their military importance (manufacturing of military equipment, etc).

using 4 threads...

1. What is the definition of terrorism?

The definition of terrorism varies, but it is generally described as the use of violence or intimidation for political, religious, or ideological purposes.

2. What are some examples of terrorist groups?

Some examples of terrorist groups include ISIS, Al-Qaeda, Boko Haram, and the Taliban.

3. What are some common methods used by terrorists?

Terrorists may use methods such as bombings, shootings, hijackings, and cyber attacks to achieve their goals.

4. How do governments respond to acts of terrorism?

Governments may respond to acts of terrorism by implementing tighter security measures, deploying military forces, and enacting laws and policies to prevent future attacks.

5. What are the consequences of terrorism?

The consequences of terrorism can include loss of life, damage to infrastructure, economic impact, and increased fear and insecurity among the general population.