Calculating Average Power for Raising a Roller Coaster Car

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with an exam question regarding a roller coaster car and its mass, gravitational field strength, and the time it takes to reach a certain point. The question is asking for the average power required to raise the car in the given time, assuming no frictional forces. The suggested solution involves finding the gravitational potential energy and the kinetic energy of the car, and using the equation P_avg = W/dt to calculate the average power.
direct99
Hello

I have a problem with this exam question does anyone now the solution.

Homework Statement

A roller coaster car has a mass of 800 kg.
The gravitational field strength is 10 N/kg.
It takes 20 s for the car to reach K from the start.
What is the average power required to raise the car to K in this time?
[Ignore frictional forces]

Physics news on Phys.org
direct99 said:
Hello

I have a problem with this exam question does anyone now the solution.

Homework Statement

A roller coaster car has a mass of 800 kg.
The gravitational field strength is 10 N/kg.
It takes 20 s for the car to reach K from the start.
What is the average power required to raise the car to K in this time?
[Ignore frictional forces]

Do you have any other data because i believe you would need an angle.

Last edited:
Remember that:
c6f4fcdcefb75e1417669dfbc912d208.png

Think about the energy of the system. What are the possible forms of energy in this situation (and what equations do you know for them?)

Simply just use:

[tex]P_{avg}=\frac{\Delta W_{w}}{\Delta t}[/tex]

and in your case the only work applied on the roller coaster is its weight so you will have:

[tex]P_{avg}=\frac{W_{w}}{\Delta t}[/tex]

Ps: [tex]W_{w}=mgh[/tex]

Find the gravitational potention energy first
peg=mgh=800x10x20=160000
peg equals to kinect energy at the start because it stops at k
so kinect energy =1/2mvi^2
1/2(800)vi^2=160000
400vi^2=160000
vi= square root of 400
vi=20m/s

power=mv=(800)(20)=16000w

Too much help from you guys. Especially jfxue! The idea of the homework section is to tell the person if they got something wrong or correct and to guide the person by asking them the kinds of questions which will get them thinking in the right direction.

Jfxue said:
Find the gravitational potention energy first
peg=mgh=800x10x20=160000
peg equals to kinect energy at the start because it stops at k
so kinect energy =1/2mvi^2
1/2(800)vi^2=160000
400vi^2=160000
vi= square root of 400
vi=20m/s

power=mv=(800)(20)=16000w

But you can't say it equals the kinetic energy at the start even though Em(i)=Em(k).

He doesn't have to go looking for all of that stuff. All he has to do is find the work from the start to K then use it to find the average power.

thats not a lot of stuff what you mean finding the work from the start how can u find the work from the start without knowing the vi or distance. my way isn't even long

jfxue, I think you've read the question wrong. The car gains GPE due to an electric motor. The question is asking for the work done, so in fact, we must assume the initial KE is zero. (Or account for the KE in our calculation of the power, but that just makes it unnecessarily complicated).

Edit: I didn't explain very well. I'm just trying to say that the question is about the work required to get the car up the hill. This work is done by a motor, but that doesn't even matter really, since we are simply trying to find the average power over the time specified, as mtayab has said.

Last edited:

1. How do roller coaster cars stay on the track?

Roller coaster cars stay on the track through a combination of gravitational and centripetal forces. The wheels on the bottom of the car are designed to fit snugly into the track and allow the car to roll smoothly. Additionally, the track is designed with curves and dips that use centripetal force to keep the car on the track.

2. How is the speed of a roller coaster car controlled?

The speed of a roller coaster car is controlled through a combination of the initial potential energy it receives from the chain lift and the forces of friction and drag. The shape and design of the track also play a role in controlling the speed of the car.

3. What safety measures are in place for roller coaster cars?

Roller coaster cars are equipped with various safety measures to ensure the safety of riders. These include lap bars, over-the-shoulder harnesses, and seatbelts to keep riders securely in their seats. Additionally, the cars undergo regular maintenance and inspections to ensure they are in proper working condition.

4. How are roller coaster cars designed?

Roller coaster cars are designed using specialized computer software that takes into account factors such as speed, acceleration, and G-forces. Engineers also consider the comfort and safety of riders when designing the cars. Prototypes of the cars are then built and tested before being put into use.

5. How do roller coaster cars provide a thrilling experience?

Roller coaster cars provide a thrilling experience through a combination of speed, height, and unexpected twists and turns. The design of the track also plays a role in creating a thrilling ride. The sensation of weightlessness and the release of adrenaline also contribute to the overall thrill of riding a roller coaster.