Question in finding Green's function

So it is not a constant, but a function of ##x## and ##y##. And that function can be pulled out of the summation, since it is not affected by the indices ##m## and ##n##. Does that make sense?
yungman
Consider ##\nabla^2 u(x,y)=f(x,y)## in rectangular region bounded by (0,0),(0,b),(a,b)(a,0). And ##u(x,y)=0## on the boundary. Find Green's function ##G(x,y,x_0,y_0)##.

For Poisson's eq, let
[tex]u(x_0,y_0)=\sum_{m=1}^{\infty}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}E_{mn}\sin\left(\frac{m\pi}{a}x_0\right)\sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{b}y_0\right)[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow\;\nabla^2 u=-\sum_{m=1}^{\infty}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}E_{mn}\lambda_{mn}\sin\left(\frac{m\pi}{a}x\right)\sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{b}y\right) [/tex]
[tex]\hbox{Where}\;\lambda_{mn}=(\frac{m\pi}{a})^2+(\frac {n\pi}{b})^2[/tex]
Skipping a few steps:

[tex]E_{mn}=-\frac{4}{ab\lambda_{mn}}\int_0^a\int_0^b \nabla^2 u\;\sin\left(\frac{m\pi}{a}x\right)\sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{b}y\right)\;dydx[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\;u(x_0,y_0)=\sum_{m=1}^{\infty}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}E_{mn} \sin\left(\frac{m\pi}{a}x_0\right) \sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{b}y_0\right)= \sum_{m=1}^{\infty}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \left[- \frac{4}{ab\lambda_{mn}}\int_0^b\int_0^b \nabla^2 u\;\sin\left(\frac{m\pi}{a}x\right)\sin\left(\frac{m\pi}{a}x\right) \;dydx \right] \sin\left(\frac{m\pi}{a}x_0\right)\;\sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{b}y_0\right)[/tex]

For Poisson eq with zero boundary
[tex]u(x_0,y_0)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_0^a\int_0^b\; \nabla^2 u\;G(x,y,x_0,y_0)\;dydx[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow\;u(x_0,y_0)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_0^a\int_0^b\; \nabla^2 u\;G(x,y,x_0,y_0)\;dydx= \sum_{m=1}^{\infty}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \left[\left(-\frac{4}{ab\lambda_{mn}}\int_0^b\int_0^a \nabla^2 u\;\sin\left(\frac{m\pi}{a}x\right)\sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{b}y\right) \;dydx\right) \sin\left(\frac{m\pi}{a}x_0\right)\;\sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{b}y_0\right) \right] [/tex]

[tex]=\sum_{m=1}^{\infty}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \int_0^b \int_0^a \nabla^2 u\;\frac{-4}{ab\lambda_{mn}}\sin\left(\frac{m\pi}{a}x\right)\sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{b}y\right) \sin\left(\frac{m\pi}{a}x_0\right)\;\sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{b}y_0\right)dydx\; \hbox{ (1)}[/tex]

The book gave the next step:

[tex]u(x_0,y_0)=\int_0^a\int_0^b\; \nabla^2u \left[ \sum_{m=1}^{\infty}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}-\frac{4}{ab\lambda_{mn}}\sin\left(\frac{m\pi}{a}x\right)\sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{b}y\right)\sin\left(\frac{m\pi}{a}x_0\right)\;\sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{b}y_0\right)\right] \;dydx \;\hbox{ (2)}[/tex]

Compare (1) and (2) above, How can you move the ##\sum_{m=1}^{\infty}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}## inside the integral and pass ##\nabla^2u## where
[tex]\nabla^2 u=-\sum_{m=1}^{\infty}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}E_{mn}\lambda_{mn}\sin\left(\frac{m\pi}{a}x\right)\sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{b}y\right) [/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
##m## and ##n## are dummy indices. The two sums, i.e., the one in the equation of ##\nabla^2 u## and the one in the equation for ##u(x_0,y_0)## are distinct. Changing ##m## and ##n## to ##m'## and ##n'## or ##k## and ##l## in the equation for ##\nabla^2 u## will not change the result.

Therefore, in the equation for ##u(x_0,y_0)##, ##\nabla^2 u## is independent of ##m,n## and can be taken outside the summation.

DrClaude said:
##m## and ##n## are dummy indices. The two sums, i.e., the one in the equation of ##\nabla^2 u## and the one in the equation for ##u(x_0,y_0)## are distinct. Changing ##m## and ##n## to ##m'## and ##n'## or ##k## and ##l## in the equation for ##\nabla^2 u## will not change the result.

Therefore, in the equation for ##u(x_0,y_0)##, ##\nabla^2 u## is independent of ##m,n## and can be taken outside the summation.

But ##E_{mn}## and ##\lambda_{mn}## is dependent on ##m,n##.

as##\nabla^2 u=-\sum_{m=1}^{\infty}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}E_{mn}\lambda_{mn}\sin\left(\frac{m\pi}{a}x\right)\sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{b}y\right) ##
Thanks

yungman said:
But ##E_{mn}## and ##\lambda_{mn}## is dependent on ##m,n##.

as##\nabla^2 u=-\sum_{m=1}^{\infty}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}E_{mn}\lambda_{mn}\sin\left(\frac{m\pi}{a}x\right)\sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{b}y\right) ##
Thanks
And that is why there is a sum over ##m## and ##n## in there. But ##\nabla^2 u## is a function of ##x## and ##y## only. If you are still confused, just write
$$
\nabla^2 u=-\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}E_{ij}\lambda_{ij}\sin\left(\frac{i\pi}{a}x\right)\sin\left(\frac{j\pi}{b}y\right)
$$

DrClaude said:
And that is why there is a sum over ##m## and ##n## in there. But ##\nabla^2 u## is a function of ##x## and ##y## only. If you are still confused, just write
$$
\nabla^2 u=-\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}E_{ij}\lambda_{ij}\sin\left(\frac{i\pi}{a}x\right)\sin\left(\frac{j\pi}{b}y\right)
$$

Thanks
So what you are saying

##\nabla^2 u=-\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}E_{ij}\lambda_{ij}\sin\left(\frac{i\pi}{a}x\right)\sin\left(\frac{j\pi}{b}y\right)##

is just one big lump totally independent to the summation of (m,n). So far as the whole function, ##\nabla^2u## is a constant.

yungman said:
Thanks
So what you are saying

##\nabla^2 u=-\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{j=1}^{\infty}E_{ij}\lambda_{ij}\sin\left(\frac{i\pi}{a}x\right)\sin\left(\frac{j\pi}{b}y\right)##

is just one big lump totally independent to the summation of (m,n). So far as the whole function, ##\nabla^2u## is a constant.

Independent of the indices of the summation, yes, but still dependent on ##x## and ##y##. (It is the Laplacian of a function ##u(x,y)##, after all.)

Likes 1 person

1. What is a Green's function?

A Green's function is a mathematical tool used in solving differential equations. It is a function that represents the response of a system to an impulse input at a specific point. It is often used in physics and engineering to find solutions to boundary value problems.

2. How is Green's function related to the concept of eigenfunctions?

Green's function is closely related to eigenfunctions, as it can be seen as a weighted sum of eigenfunctions. In fact, the eigenfunctions of a system are often used to construct the Green's function for that system. This allows for a more efficient and accurate solution to the problem at hand.

3. What is the importance of finding Green's function?

Finding Green's function is important because it allows for the solution of complex differential equations that cannot be solved using traditional methods. It also provides a general solution that can be applied to a variety of boundary value problems, making it a valuable tool in many fields of science and engineering.

4. How is Green's function used in practical applications?

Green's function is used in various practical applications, such as in electromagnetics, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics. It is particularly useful in situations where the system being studied is subject to external forces, as it can accurately model the response of the system to those forces.

5. What are some common techniques for finding Green's function?

There are several techniques for finding Green's function, including separation of variables, the method of images, and the Fourier transform method. Each technique has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of problems. However, the underlying principle remains the same - finding a suitable set of eigenfunctions to construct the Green's function.