The quantum statistical approach

In summary, the thermal matrix is a sum over all possible states, including uncountably many superpositions.
aaaa202
Usually in the problems I have done, I found the partition function by simply summing exponential of the eigenenergies, but lately I have started to wonder why this approach is correct. Do we not want to sum over the energies of all possible states as we did in the classical case. In that case we need to take into account that there exists an infinite amount of superpositions of eigenstates, which are all valid states. Are these accounted for when I do calculate the partition function using only eigenenergies?
What got me wondering was that my teacher explained the fermi gas by what I thought was a very handwaving argument. He said that its heat capacity is so low because very few electrons can transition to higher energy states because usually the above states are all occupied. Well now, given the fact that there are an infinite amount of states a particle can be in, does this really provide a good explanation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you, that's quite a logical defect in the quantum statistics. It really treats the density matrix ##\rho_{mn}## in the Hamiltonian basis as a basic object and in thermal equilibrium it assumes point-like distribution of probability over the eigenfunctions; the other wave functions are discarded. This saves it from divergences, but is quite hard to reconcile with the superposition principle.

We have discussed this in past here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=598233

but with no satisfactory resolution.

Jano L. said:
thermal equilibrium it assumes point-like distribution of probability over the eigenfunctions; the other wave functions are discarded.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say here, but you cannot tell which states went into the construction of a density matrix. So yes, there's a decomposition into eigenstates, but there are also arbitrarily many decomposition into any overcomplete family of states, which are not eigenstates of anything because they don't even have to be orthogonal.

So I don't see at what point the density matrix formalism in statistical quantum theory makes use of any assumption about the realization of the ensemble.

Cheers,

Jazz

The problem is that the thermal density matrix cannot be introduced via general definition as a sum over ensemble of ##\phi_k##:

$$
\rho_{mn} = \sum_k p_k (\phi_m,\psi_k) (\psi_k,\phi_n),
$$

since there is uncountably many superpositions and the sum cannot be performed.

Instead, the thermal matrix is postulated as an infinite matrix that follows the Liouville - von Neumann equation derived from Schroedinger's equation for the above countable expansion.

Related to The quantum statistical approach

1. What is the quantum statistical approach?

The quantum statistical approach is a mathematical framework used to describe and analyze the behavior of systems at the quantum level. It combines the principles of quantum mechanics with statistical methods to understand the probabilities of different outcomes in a quantum system.

2. How does the quantum statistical approach differ from classical statistical mechanics?

The main difference between quantum statistical approach and classical statistical mechanics is that the former considers the quantum nature of particles, while the latter assumes classical behavior of particles. This means that quantum statistical approach is essential in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, while classical statistical mechanics is used for larger, macroscopic systems.

3. What are some applications of the quantum statistical approach?

The quantum statistical approach has a wide range of applications in various fields, including condensed matter physics, quantum chemistry, and quantum information theory. It is used to understand the behavior of materials, chemical reactions, and quantum computing systems.

4. How is the quantum statistical approach related to thermodynamics?

The quantum statistical approach is closely related to thermodynamics, as it provides a statistical description of the behavior of particles in a thermodynamic system. It helps to explain concepts such as entropy and energy exchange at the quantum level.

5. What are some challenges of using the quantum statistical approach?

One of the main challenges of the quantum statistical approach is the complexity of the calculations involved, especially for systems with a large number of particles. Additionally, there are still many open questions and debates surrounding the interpretation of quantum mechanics, making it a challenging field to navigate.