Masters Dissertation Topic Needed (Metal Additive Manufacturing?)

In summary, the person is looking for advice on what topic to research for their dissertation within Metal Additive Manufacturing. They are looking for websites to help them find a topic, and they are not sure if they should research another area or go with a topic they are more interested in.
insanemembrane
Hi,

I've recently started a Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering. I've never taken on a research project before and I've been recommended to look into the area of Metal Additive Manufacturing as it's an area that's quickly developing.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a topic/title that I could use for dissertation in this area? The reason why I am asking is because the deadline is fastly approaching and I've numerous other assignments due also. I know my college has normal 3D prototyping machines but not the expensive kind.

I understand that one of the main challenges with the technology is understanding the long term behaviour of materials/components made from MAM.

Any advice would be grately appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I cannot offer any advice on choosing a topic or title for your dissertation. I can offer, however, a few websites for your perusal. You may discover some aspect of Metal Additive Manufacturing that interests you enough to do a research project on that. Long-term behaviors are critical in some applications, as NASA would not want some part to disintegrate or degrade in the vacuum of space.

http://www.mtm.kuleuven.be/Onderzoek/Ceramics/publicaties-1/2010/2010no19.pdf
http://www.optomec.com/Additive-Manufacturing-Technology/Laser-Additive-Manufacturing
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...-the-final-frontier-of-additive-manufacturing
http://www.shapeways.com/about/how_does_it_work?li=nav

Last edited by a moderator:
Shouldn't this be a question for you advisor?

@Bobbywhy: Many thanks for the helpful links

@Boneh3ad: I've been recommended by my supervisor to go off and try identify a research topic myself within the field with the correct scope for a one year masters project.

I might end up taking a project in another area because I'm really not all that fussy what area I do it in, I'm more concerned about just picking one I can actually finish and won't be a nightmare for me all year long! I will continue to research into this area anyway for the time being.

1. What is Metal Additive Manufacturing?

Metal Additive Manufacturing, also known as 3D printing, is a process of creating three-dimensional objects by adding layers of metal material on top of each other. This technology allows for the production of complex and intricate designs that may not be possible with traditional manufacturing methods.

2. What are the benefits of using Metal Additive Manufacturing for a Masters Dissertation topic?

There are several benefits to using Metal Additive Manufacturing as a Masters Dissertation topic. Firstly, it is a rapidly growing and innovative field, making it an exciting area to research. Secondly, it has numerous applications in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and healthcare, providing a wide range of potential research topics. Lastly, it allows for hands-on experience with cutting-edge technology, which can be valuable for future career opportunities.

3. What are some potential research topics related to Metal Additive Manufacturing for a Masters Dissertation?

Some potential research topics related to Metal Additive Manufacturing for a Masters Dissertation could include studying the material properties of different metal alloys used in 3D printing, optimizing the printing process for better efficiency and accuracy, or exploring the use of 3D printing in creating customized medical implants.

4. What are the challenges of using Metal Additive Manufacturing as a Masters Dissertation topic?

One of the main challenges of using Metal Additive Manufacturing as a Masters Dissertation topic is the limited availability of resources and equipment. 3D printing technology is still relatively new, and access to specialized equipment and materials may be limited. Additionally, the technology is constantly evolving, so keeping up with the latest advancements and techniques can be challenging.

5. What skills and knowledge are required for researching and writing a Masters Dissertation on Metal Additive Manufacturing?

To successfully research and write a Masters Dissertation on Metal Additive Manufacturing, you will need a strong background in materials science, engineering, or a related field. It is also essential to have a good understanding of 3D printing technology and its applications. Additionally, skills in data analysis, experimental design, and technical writing will be necessary to conduct research and communicate your findings effectively.