Can you solve the funny integral with a square root of tangent?

In summary, the conversation was about a funny integral, \int \sqrt{\tan x}\, dx, and different methods for solving it. Other funny integrals were also mentioned, such as \int \frac{1}{1+x^4}\,dx. Some users mentioned that not all math software can solve these integrals, while others shared alternative methods for solving them.
Gellmann
[SOLVED] funny integral

hi everyone

its funny but all maths-software fail solving this "simple" integral

[tex]\int \sqrt{\tan x}\, dx[/tex]

do you know another funny integrals?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematica gives an answer:

[tex]\frac{-2 \tan ^{-1}\left(1-\sqrt{2} \tan ^{\frac{1}{2}}(x)\right)+2 \tan ^{-1}\left(\sqrt{2} \tan ^{\frac{1}{2}}(x)+1\right)+\log
\left(-\tan (x)+\sqrt{2} \tan ^{\frac{1}{2}}(x)-1\right)-\log \left(\tan (x)+\sqrt{2} \tan ^{\frac{1}{2}}(x)+1\right)}{2
\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\int \sqrt{\tan(x)}dx=\int\frac{\sec^2(x)}{1+\tan^2(x)}\sqrt{\tan(x)}dx=\int\frac{2\tan(x)}{1+\tan^2(x)}d\sqrt{\tan(x)}[/tex]
so it hinges on the always fun
[tex]\int\frac{x^2}{1+x^4}dx[/tex]

What is about this integral .. ?

[tex] \int_0^{\frac \pi 2} \ln ( \sin x ) . \ dx [/tex]

Can the mathematical softwares, such as Maple amd Mathematica give you
the answer :[tex] - \frac \pi 2 \ln 2 [/tex] ?

Last edited:
Ali 2 said:
What is about this integral .. ?

[tex] \int_0^{\pi/2} \ln ( \sin x ) . \ dx [/tex]

Change ln to its integral form (so you get a double integral) and use change of variables on that form.

hypermorphism said:
Change ln to its integral form (so you get a double integral) and use change of variables on that form.

Unfortunately, I edited my previous replay after you replied .. !

I wanted to say that the answer of this integral can't be obtained by Maple or Mathematica ..

Also , I solved the integral with a method different from your method .

Last edited:
lurflurf said:
[tex]\int \sqrt{\tan(x)}dx=\int\frac{\sec^2(x)}{1+\tan^2(x)}\sqrt{\tan(x)}dx=\int\frac{2\tan(x)}{1+\tan^2(x)}d\sqrt{\tan(x)}[/tex]
so it hinges on the always fun
[tex]\int\frac{x^2}{1+x^4}dx[/tex]

Wow, I was looking up ways to figure out how to use the LaTeX graphics so that I type [tex]\int \sqrt{\tan(x)}dx[/tex] and ask for help solving that. It's a funny coincidence that I stumbled into this thread. I'm a very lucky person.

Anyway... I can transform the integral into [tex]2\int\frac{u^2}{1+u^4}du[/tex]. I know what the antiderivative of that is is (I found it in a book of mathematical tables), but I don't know how to prove it. Do you happen to know how to find the antiderivative of [tex]\frac{u^2}{1+u^4}[/tex]?

Last edited:
Gellmann said:
hi everyone
There was a long thread on this a while back. Can't find it though. Another strange one I've found (similar to one posted above) is:

[tex]\int\frac{1}{1+x^4}\,dx[/tex]

You have to use that fact that x4+1=(x2+1)2-2x2. And then use the difference of two squares. It gets messy.

Alex

Gellmann said:
hi everyone

You didn't try Derive 6! :)

Gellmann said:
hi everyone

Not all, my ancient version of Maple (5.3 i guess) gives

[tex] \int \sqrt{\tan x}dx=\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{2}\arctan \sqrt{2}\frac{\tan ^{\frac{1}{2}}x}{1-\tan x}-\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{2}\ln \frac{\tan x+\sqrt{2}\tan ^{\frac{1}{2}}x+1}{\sqrt{\left( 1+\tan ^{2}x\right) }} + C[/tex].

Daniel.

Gellman,

Incidentally, MuPAD also gives the correct result. What package were you using?

This a method to solve the integral ..
[tex] \int \frac { u^2 } { u^4 +1 } du =\frac 12 \int \frac { 2u^2 } { u^4 +1 } du = \frac 12 \int \frac { u^2 -1 } { u^4 +1 } du + \frac { u^2 +1 } { u^4 +1 } du [/tex]
[tex] = \frac 12 \int \frac { 1 - \frac 1 {u^2} }{ u^2 + \frac 1{u^2} } du
+\frac 12 \int \frac { 1 + \frac 1 {u^2} }{ u^2 + \frac 1{u^2} } du
[/tex]
[tex]= \frac 12 \int \frac { 1 - \frac 1 {u^2} }{ \left (u + \frac 1u \right ) ^2 -1 } du
+\frac 12 \int \frac { 1 + \frac 1 {u^2} }{ \left (u - \frac 1u \right)^2 +1 } du [/tex]
[tex] =\frac 12 \int \frac { d \left (u + \frac 1u \right ) }{ \left (u + \frac 1u \right ) ^2 -1 }
+\frac 12 \int \frac { d \left (u - \frac 1u \right ) }{ \left (u - \frac 1u \right)^2 +1 } [/tex]

[tex] \mbox { In the first integral , make the subsitution :} v = u + \frac 1u [/tex]
[tex] \mbox { and in the second integral , make the subsitution : } v = u - \frac 1u [/tex]

The integrals become now simple , you can integrate them easily

Last edited:
Likes Leo Authersh
apmcavoy said:
There was a long thread on this a while back. Can't find it though. Another strange one I've found (similar to one posted above) is:
[tex]\int\frac{1}{1+x^4}\,dx[/tex]
You have to use that fact that x4+1=(x2+1)2-2x2. And then use the difference of two squares. It gets messy.
Alex

Yes, that fact indeed. Read attached gif, see what is meant.

Attachments

• Int(1 over t^4+1)dt(enlarged).gif
    Int(1 over t^4+1)dt(enlarged).gif
    7.6 KB · Views: 2,194

1. What is the "funny integral" with a square root of tangent?

The "funny integral" refers to a specific mathematical expression that involves a square root of tangent. It is typically written as ∫√tan(x)dx and can be challenging to solve without advanced techniques.

2. Why is this integral considered to be difficult?

This integral is considered difficult because it involves an irrational and non-algebraic function, making it challenging to integrate using traditional methods. It may require the use of techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

3. Is there a specific method for solving this integral?

Yes, there are several methods that can be used to solve this integral, including substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. The best approach may depend on the specific integral and your personal preference.

4. Can this integral be solved analytically?

Yes, it is possible to solve this integral analytically using advanced mathematical techniques. However, it may be time-consuming and challenging to do so without the aid of a computer or calculator.

5. What are some real-world applications of this integral?

This integral is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems related to motion and oscillations. It may also appear in mathematical models for systems involving trigonometric functions.