Calculating Annual Effective Interest Rate for Financial Mathematics

In summary, to find the annual effective rate of interest, you need to calculate the total value of all investments made from the semiannual payments over 8 years, and then solve for the equivalent rate at which the initial outlay of $15,000 would compound to achieve the same final result. This can be done by treating each payment and investment separately and summing the totals. The concept of effective interest rate is important and can be further understood by taking a class such as "Engineering Economy".
playboy
How do you find the annual effective rate of interest?
The question reads: You lend a friend $15 000 to be amortized by semiannual payments for 8 years, with interest at j2 = 9%. You deposit each payment in an account paying J12 = 7%. What annual effective rate of interest have you earned over the entire 8-year period?
Ans = 8.17%
Hmmm... i have absolutly no idea how to get the annuale effective rate of interest.
My TA showed, (in another question) that its something like (1 + i)^n = 1 + r
and solve for r?
Please help somebody
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Conceptually, it works like this. There is initial outlay of $15,000. The payments that come in annually are immediately invested. At the end of 8 years there is a total value of all investments. The 'effective' interest rate is the equivalent rate at which the initial outlay would compound at to achieve the same final result after 8 years. It might help to draw out a time line and treat each pmt and ensuing investment as a separate problem. Find out how much each is worth after the 8 years is up, sum the totals together, and then it's a straightforward back solution for a std compound interest problem.

By the way, you have 2 identical posts. If this was intentional, pls avoid that in the future.

P.S. One of the most useful classes (in terms of constantly using the material learned) I took in graduate school was called "Engineering Economy".

Last edited:
No, that was not intentional, i didn't know i did that :S... I will avoid that in the future!

1. What is the formula for calculating Annual Effective Interest Rate?

The formula for calculating Annual Effective Interest Rate is: AER = (1 + r/n)^n - 1 where AER is the Annual Effective Interest Rate, r is the nominal annual interest rate, and n is the number of compounding periods per year.

2. How is Annual Effective Interest Rate different from Annual Percentage Rate (APR)?

Annual Percentage Rate (APR) is the annual rate of interest charged on a loan, while Annual Effective Interest Rate (AER) takes into account the effects of compounding. This means that AER reflects the true cost of borrowing, whereas APR does not take into account the compounding of interest.

3. Can the Annual Effective Interest Rate be negative?

No, the Annual Effective Interest Rate cannot be negative. A negative interest rate would mean that the lender is paying the borrower to borrow money, which is not a common practice in financial mathematics.

4. How is Annual Effective Interest Rate used in financial mathematics?

Annual Effective Interest Rate is used to compare the true cost of borrowing for different loans with different compounding periods. It is also used to calculate the future value of an investment, taking into account the effects of compounding interest.

5. Are there any limitations to using Annual Effective Interest Rate?

One limitation of using Annual Effective Interest Rate is that it assumes the interest is compounded at regular intervals throughout the year. In reality, interest may be compounded at different intervals, which can affect the accuracy of the calculation. Additionally, AER does not take into account any fees or charges associated with a loan, which can also impact the true cost of borrowing.