What is the Flawed Proof That 1 Equals -1?

• Thread starter _Mayday_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses various flawed proofs that attempt to show that 1 equals -1. These proofs often involve manipulating equations and taking square roots, but ultimately contain logical errors. The conversation also includes a request for similar proofs and a warning to explain the errors to others when presenting these proofs.
_Mayday_
Hey Everyone,

A while back I found this cool little proof that showed 1 = -1. Now I am fully aware there was a little cheat in there somewhere, but I have lost the little proof. Has anyone come across it, or have anything similar? I just think it's cool, even though in one of the steps there is a mistake. I know it starts with like rooting one, and then putting 1 = (-1)(-1) etc.

Cheers.

_Mayday_

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I got another version:

[tex] \frac{-1}{1}=-1[/tex] and [tex] \frac{1}{-1}=-1[/tex]

so:

[tex]\frac{-1}{1}=\frac{1}{-1}[/tex]

if [tex]\sqrt{-1}=i[/tex]

then

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{-1}{1}}=\sqrt{\frac{1}{-1}}[/tex]

so:

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{-1}}{\sqrt{1}}=\frac{\sqrt{1}}{\sqrt{-1}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(\frac{i}{1})=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{i})[/tex]

becomes

[tex]\frac{i}{2}=\frac{1}{2i}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{i}{2} + \frac{3}{2i} = \frac{1}{2i} + \frac{3}{2i} [/tex]

[tex]i(\frac{i}{2} + \frac{3}{2i}) = i(\frac{1}{2i} + \frac{3}{2i})[/tex]

[tex]\frac{-1}{2}+\frac{3}{2}=\frac{1}{2}+\frac{3}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2}{2} = \frac{4}{2}[/tex]

[tex] 1 = 2 [/tex]

YOu got a problem right here: [tex]\frac{\sqrt{-1}}{\sqrt{1}}=\frac{\sqrt{1}}{\sqrt{-1}}[/tex] Since this gives i=1/i.

Just because a=b doesn't mean that [tex]\sqrt a = \sqrt b. [/tex]

Last edited:
robert Ihnot said:

Just because a=b doesn't mean that [tex]\sqrt a = \sqrt b. [/tex]

yes it does (as long as we've agreed on some convention so that [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] is a function, which we have)

And that line is correct. The problem is that in the complex numbers [tex]\sqrt{\frac{a}{b}} = \sqrt{\frac{c}{d}}[/tex] does not imply that [tex]\frac{\sqrt{a}}{\sqrt{b}}=\frac{\sqrt{c}}{\sqrt{d}}[/tex]. This is true for the positive real numbers, but not for complex numbers in general.

But the poster was just asking for "proofs" that 1 = -1. Of course they are all flawed. But to the OP: There are a lot of "proofs" of this, so any more description, if you could remember any part of it, would be useful.

Last edited:
Hey Mayday,

You pretty much have a proof in the one that Dirk_mec1 posted.

Once you get to this step:

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{-1}}{\sqrt{1}}=\frac{\sqrt{1}}{\sqrt{-1}}[/tex]

you now have

i/1 = 1/i

multiply both sides by i

you have (i^2)/1 = i/i --> -1/1 = 1/1 --> -1 = 1.

Thank you! Wait till my class see this stuff!

Another one that freaks people out

a=b
aa=ab
aa-bb=ab-bb
(a+b)(a-b)=b(a-b)
divide by a-b
a+b=b
since a=b then
2b=b
2=1
Naturally this is completely fake, the error in this logic is that when you divide by a-b you are dividing by zero. If you want to can keep repeating this and get like 1=4 and stuff. Kinda freaks people out but make sure you explain it to them in the end =P.

Related to What is the Flawed Proof That 1 Equals -1?

1. How is it possible for 1 to equal -1 in a proof?

This is a common misconception about the notion of "versions of the proof 1 = -1." The statement itself is not claiming that 1 is equal to -1, but rather that there are different versions or variations of a proof that can lead to this false conclusion. In other words, the different versions of the proof may contain errors or logical fallacies that result in the incorrect conclusion of 1 = -1.

2. What are some examples of versions of the proof 1 = -1?

There are many possible versions of the proof 1 = -1, but some common examples include using algebraic manipulations that violate the rules of math, such as dividing by zero or taking the square root of a negative number. Another common example is using circular reasoning, where the conclusion is used to support one of the premises in the proof.

3. Can a proof of 1 = -1 be valid?

No, a proof of 1 = -1 cannot be valid because it contradicts one of the fundamental principles of mathematics, which is that two different numbers cannot be equal to each other. If a proof leads to the conclusion of 1 = -1, it is considered to be an invalid or flawed proof.

4. Why is it important to understand the concept of versions of the proof 1 = -1?

Understanding the concept of versions of the proof 1 = -1 can help individuals develop critical thinking skills and recognize logical fallacies in arguments. It also highlights the importance of rigor and accuracy in mathematical proofs, as even small mistakes can lead to incorrect conclusions.

5. How can one avoid falling for versions of the proof 1 = -1?

To avoid falling for versions of the proof 1 = -1, it is important to carefully examine all steps and assumptions made in a proof. Look for logical fallacies or errors in reasoning, and always double-check your work to ensure accuracy. It can also be helpful to seek feedback and guidance from others, such as teachers or peers, to catch any mistakes or flaws in the proof.