1.5 in-line/pigtail day/night sensor?

• Thread starter CCinPA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sensor
In summary: A photocell is a light-sensitive device that detects the presence of light and triggers an action (such as turning on a light). A reverse photocell is a photocell that detects light while it is turned off. When connected in reverse, the photocell will detect the light coming from the dark side. This is useful for detecting when a light has been turned off or for triggering an action when the sun is not shining. Please send a link to the reversed photo...Sorry, I don't have a link to send you. :(
CCinPA
I’m new here… So go easy on me please.
I need a 1.5 in-line/pigtail day/night sensor… Help?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Sorry, I did a search on that and didn't find anything.

Likes russ_watters
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
CCinPA said:
I’m new here… So go easy on me please.
Sure. What in the world are you asking about? Can you post pictures or links?

1.5 inch is not much of a pigtail/cable assembly. And what communication standard would you prefer for this sensor? SCI, SPI, I2C, One-Wire, other?

Geez... Forgetting one word... Sure changes the content!

I need a 1.5-VOLT in-line/pigtail day/night sensor… Help? 🙃

LOL, that's funny! Still, what serial communication standard would you like to use?

Here's a quick Google Images search on SPI Day/Night Sensor:

1568645770194.png

I wasn't able to find one in the Google-search that has an input of 1.5-volts?

CCinPA said:
Sorry to sound like a broken record, but it would really help us a lot to know more about your requirements (serial interface type, application, etc.). Why do you want to run this sensor off of 1.5V? Do you want to power your sensor system off just a single Alkaline battery cell? There are ways to do that, but we really do need more information please. Thank you.

And I'm sorry for not being clear enough... Will try better...

I have an outdoor garden ornament that runs on 1.5 batteries are charged by a solar-panel.
The batteries get charged during the day… But since the ornament runs all-night… By morning the in minimal power left in the batteries. Therefore the lawn-ornament goes dormant util later in the AM when the sun hits the solar-panel again.

No worries.

Does this ornament light up at night like a night light? (my wife has a few of those in our yard)

Or does this ornament do something during the day too? Maybe it just needs larger batteries with longer battery life?

BTW, there may be some simple circuit options for you to use for this application. Have you built any simple electronic kits yet?

CCinPA said:
Please check on digikey.com.
As i remember, sensors for 1.2V are possible, but these are highly specialized devices usually integrated in the wearable network nodes and such.
For stationary application, i would recommend to use a 5V sensor together with XCL101 power supply module (which provide 5V output from 1-cell battery input).

Likes berkeman
You can use the solar cell as a day night sensor in addition to its charging duty.

What behavior do you want from the ornament?

BoB

Likes berkeman
input received… Update(s) applied. Here’s the latest:

Attachments

• forums1.png
    forums1.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 270
CCinPA said:
input received… Update(s) applied. Here’s the latest:
Twilight zone. Dee-do-dee-do...

Or maybe I'm just not tracking your thinking here...

Your new diagram shows a solar panel as having an AC voltage output? I must be misinterpreting it, no?

And you show a parallel connection of two 12V lead-acid batteries to provide double the VA rating, but do you understand what that means? What must be true about those two batteries and their histories?

Twilight zone. Dee-do-dee-do...
>>> Yeah... I surely desrve it...

Or maybe I'm just not tracking your thinking here...

Your new diagram shows a solar panel as having an AC voltage output? I must be misinterpreting it, no?
>>> I copied this from the website where purchased. Obviously incorrect.
>>>12-volt, 1.5-watt.

And you show a parallel connection of two 12V lead-acid batteries to provide double the VA rating, but do you understand what that means? What must be true about those two batteries and their histories?
>>>Parallel... The two batteries produce the same volts output... Not double? With more output zing! :cool:
>>>The batteries were for an electric-scooter, but sold the scooter before I installed them.

Ah, so the two batteries were meant to be used in parallel in the scooter, or in series. If in parallel, they may be matched well enough for you to use them in another parallel application. If not, they may not be all that well matched. Connecting two batteries with different characteristics (including charging history) can be a bad thing...

So... Got any ideas on how to make the butterfly hibernate at night?

CCinPA said:
Got any ideas on how to make the butterfly hibernate at night?

Omit the battery. When the sun goes down the solar cell stops putting out power and the butterfly stops.

BoB

• Love
Likes Tom.G
Question: What is the opposite of a photocell that would do off-a-dusk - On a dawn?

I'm back! I found a reverse photocell. But now I need help on how to connect the wires?

Attachments

• ButterFly1.png
    ButterFly1.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 253
Please send a link to the reversed photo cell.

BoB

Likes Tom.G
I don't know for certain but I would be very skeptical as to whether that will work at 1.5V.

BoB

I was going to connect this to the 12-volt batteries output.

I was hoping to get your advice on how to connect the wires?

Is connecting the wires too simple of a question? Or am I so wrong there is not an answer? :headbang:

Attachments

• ButterFly1.png
    ButterFly1.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 240
If you read the Q&A section on Amazon there are instructions for connecting the switch.

BoB

Understand I don't know leads from loads! :oldconfused:

Gabe G. said:
Red(load) goes to the positive + wire of the light. The white goes to the negative terminal of the battery and the black goes to the positive terminal of the battery. Don't forget to take the negative wire of the light to the negative terminal of the battery as well.

Replace "light" with "voltage regulator"

BoB

Likes CCinPA
Today... I tested without the buck-converter. Although I had 12+-volts into the photocell... No output from the photocell with/without sunlight.

Attachments

• ButterFly1.png
    ButterFly1.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 151
CCinPA said:
Today... I tested without the buck-converter. Although I had 12+-volts into the photocell... No output from the photocell with/without sunlight.
The Black photocell wire should connect to the Battery Positive (+)
The White photocell wire should connect to the Battery Negative (-)

When measuring between the Red and the White wires, the Red photocell wire should switch On (to battery voltage) and Off depending on the light level.

There is a possibility that the unit does not turn on when there is not a light (a load) connected to it. Try connecting a light bulb from a car to it to see if that helps.

Some Amazon reviewers say that it has to be really dark for the unit to turn on.

Some also say they received units that did not work, were marked wrong, or failed in a few days. Perhaps you received a bad one.

That you for the input. I sent a message to the seller of the photocell asking a few questions. Just to clarify... This photocell is to be on during the day... And off during the night.

Sadly... Although I thought the the light-bulb was a great idea... It did not work. And the seller of the sensor has not responded. Signed, Still-perplexed

Are there any final thoughts/suggestions before I close-up for the winter? Then, readdress this in the spring.

1. What is a 1.5 in-line/pigtail day/night sensor?

A 1.5 in-line/pigtail day/night sensor is a type of sensor that is used to detect and measure light levels. It is designed to automatically switch on or off based on the amount of light present, making it useful for controlling lighting systems.

2. How does a 1.5 in-line/pigtail day/night sensor work?

A 1.5 in-line/pigtail day/night sensor works by using a photocell, which is a type of light-sensitive resistor. When light hits the photocell, its resistance decreases, allowing electricity to flow through and activate the sensor. When there is no light, the resistance increases, cutting off the flow of electricity and turning off the sensor.

3. What are the benefits of using a 1.5 in-line/pigtail day/night sensor?

There are several benefits to using a 1.5 in-line/pigtail day/night sensor. It can help save energy by automatically turning off lights when they are not needed, reducing electricity costs. It can also prolong the lifespan of light bulbs by preventing them from being left on for extended periods of time. Additionally, it can provide convenience by automatically turning lights on when it gets dark, eliminating the need for manual control.

4. How is a 1.5 in-line/pigtail day/night sensor installed?

A 1.5 in-line/pigtail day/night sensor is typically installed by connecting it to the power supply and the lighting system. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and to ensure that the sensor is positioned in a location where it can accurately detect light levels. Some sensors may also require adjustments to sensitivity or time delay settings.

5. What are some common applications for a 1.5 in-line/pigtail day/night sensor?

A 1.5 in-line/pigtail day/night sensor can be used in a variety of applications, including outdoor lighting systems, security lighting, and streetlights. It can also be used in indoor settings, such as in office buildings, warehouses, and homes, to control lighting in different areas based on natural light levels.