1.5 in-line/pigtail day/night sensor?

• Thread starter CCinPA
  • Start date
I’m new here… So go easy on me please.
I need a 1.5 in-line/pigtail day/night sensor… Help?

anorlunda

Mentor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Welcome to PF.

Sorry, I did a search on that and didn't find anything.

berkeman

Mentor
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
I’m new here… So go easy on me please.
Sure. What in the world are you asking about? Can you post pictures or links?

1.5 inch is not much of a pigtail/cable assembly. And what communication standard would you prefer for this sensor? SCI, SPI, I2C, One-Wire, other?

Geez... Forgetting one word... Sure changes the content!

I need a 1.5-VOLT in-line/pigtail day/night sensor… Help? 🙃

berkeman

Mentor
LOL, that's funny! Still, what serial communication standard would you like to use?

Here's a quick Google Images search on SPI Day/Night Sensor:

1568645770194.png

I wasn't able to find one in the Google-search that has an input of 1.5-volts?

berkeman

Mentor
Sorry to sound like a broken record, but it would really help us a lot to know more about your requirements (serial interface type, application, etc.). Why do you want to run this sensor off of 1.5V? Do you want to power your sensor system off just a single Alkaline battery cell? There are ways to do that, but we really do need more information please. Thank you.

And I'm sorry for not being clear enough... Will try better...

I have an outdoor garden ornament that runs on 1.5 batteries are charged by a solar-panel.
The batteries get charged during the day… But since the ornament runs all-night… By morning the in minimal power left in the batteries. Therefore the lawn-ornament goes dormant util later in the AM when the sun hits the solar-panel again.

berkeman

Mentor
No worries.

Does this ornament light up at night like a night light? (my wife has a few of those in our yard)

Or does this ornament do something during the day too? Maybe it just needs larger batteries with longer battery life?

berkeman

Mentor
BTW, there may be some simple circuit options for you to use for this application. Have you built any simple electronic kits yet?

Please check on digikey.com.
As i remember, sensors for 1.2V are possible, but these are highly specialized devices usually integrated in the wearable network nodes and such.
For stationary application, i would recommend to use a 5V sensor together with XCL101 power supply module (which provide 5V output from 1-cell battery input).

rbelli1

Gold Member
You can use the solar cell as a day night sensor in addition to its charging duty.

What behavior do you want from the ornament?

BoB

input received… Update(s) applied. Here’s the latest:

Attachments

berkeman

Mentor
input received… Update(s) applied. Here’s the latest:
Twilight zone. Dee-do-dee-do...

Or maybe I'm just not tracking your thinking here...

Your new diagram shows a solar panel as having an AC voltage output? I must be misinterpreting it, no?

And you show a parallel connection of two 12V lead-acid batteries to provide double the VA rating, but do you understand what that means? What must be true about those two batteries and their histories?

Twilight zone. Dee-do-dee-do...
>>> Yeah... I surely desrve it...

Or maybe I'm just not tracking your thinking here...

Your new diagram shows a solar panel as having an AC voltage output? I must be misinterpreting it, no?
>>> I copied this from the website where purchased. Obviously incorrect.
>>>12-volt, 1.5-watt.

And you show a parallel connection of two 12V lead-acid batteries to provide double the VA rating, but do you understand what that means? What must be true about those two batteries and their histories?
>>>Parallel... The two batteries produce the same volts output... Not double? With more output zing! :cool:
>>>The batteries were for an electric-scooter, but sold the scooter before I installed them.

berkeman

Mentor
Ah, so the two batteries were meant to be used in parallel in the scooter, or in series. If in parallel, they may be matched well enough for you to use them in another parallel application. If not, they may not be all that well matched. Connecting two batteries with different characteristics (including charging history) can be a bad thing...

So... Got any ideas on how to make the butterfly hibernate at night?

rbelli1

Gold Member
Got any ideas on how to make the butterfly hibernate at night?
Omit the battery. When the sun goes down the solar cell stops putting out power and the butterfly stops.

BoB

Question: What is the opposite of a photocell that would do off-a-dusk - On a dawn?

I'm back! I found a reverse photocell. But now I need help on how to connect the wires?

Attachments

rbelli1

Gold Member
Please send a link to the reversed photo cell.

BoB

rbelli1

Gold Member
I don't know for certain but I would be very skeptical as to whether that will work at 1.5V.

BoB

I was going to connect this to the 12-volt batteries output.

I was hoping to get your advice on how to connect the wires?

Is connecting the wires too simple of a question? Or am I so wrong there is not an answer? :headbang:

Attachments