1) A1 A2 be two events, show that P (A1 ∩ A2) ≤ P (A1)P

• Thread starter kezman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Events
In summary, the conversation discussed three statements regarding the probability of events. The first two statements showed that P (A1 ∩ A2) ≤ P (A1) . P (A2) and P (A1 ∩ A2 ∩ ... ... An) ≤ P (A1) . P (A2) . ... ... ... ... P (An). The third statement was looking for a counterexample to disprove the statement P (A + B) + P (/ A + / B) = 1, which involves the union and complement of sets A and B. The group concluded that the statement is false.
kezman
1) A1 A2 be two events, show that P (A1 ∩ A2) ≤ P (A1) . P (A2)
2) show that P (A1 ∩ A2 ∩ ... ... An) ≤ P (A1) . P (A2) . ... ... ... ... P (An)
4)
show that P (A + B) + P (/ A + / B) = 1

I have problems with these exercises. I don't know if I copied them wrong.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

kezman said:
1) A1 A2 be two events, show that P (A1 ∩ A2) ≤ P (A1) . P (A2)
2) show that P (A1 ∩ A2 ∩ ... ... An) ≤ P (A1) . P (A2) . ... ... ... ... P (An)
4)
show that P (A + B) + P (/ A + / B) = 1

I have problems with these exercises. I don't know if I copied them wrong.
thanks

Why don't you look and see if you copied them wrong?

What if A1 = A2 and P(A1) = 1/2?

And what does A+B mean for sets A and B? And what does /A mean?

I don't have the original statements, but we were looking for a counterexample. The last one instead of plus is union and / is complement. I am sure that one is false too.

kezman said:
I don't have the original statements, but we were looking for a counterexample. The last one instead of plus is union and / is complement. I am sure that one is false too.

Me too.

kezman said:
but we were looking for a counterexample.
So that means you are trying to disprove them. It would have been useful if you had of stated that at the outset.

kezman said:
1) A1 A2 be two events, show that ... etc.

Are Venn diagrams good enough for demonstrating this?

thanks everybody for the help. At the beggining we didnt know if there were ok or not. Now we are sure. thanks

1. What does P(A1 ∩ A2) represent?

P(A1 ∩ A2) represents the probability of both events A1 and A2 occurring simultaneously.

2. How is P(A1)P(A2) related to P(A1 ∩ A2)?

P(A1)P(A2) represents the probability of event A1 occurring multiplied by the probability of event A2 occurring. P(A1 ∩ A2) is always less than or equal to P(A1)P(A2).

3. Can P(A1 ∩ A2) ever be greater than P(A1)P(A2)?

No, this is because the intersection of two events can never be larger than the individual probabilities of each event occurring.

4. How can this inequality be useful in probability calculations?

This inequality can be useful in determining the upper bound for the probability of two events occurring simultaneously. It can also be used to compare the likelihood of two events happening together.

5. Are there any exceptions to this inequality?

Yes, there are exceptions when the two events A1 and A2 are not independent. If the events are dependent, then P(A1 ∩ A2) can be greater than P(A1)P(A2).