1) A1 A2 be two events, show that P (A1 ∩ A2) ≤ P (A1)P

  • Thread starter Thread starter kezman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Events
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
kezman
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
1) A1 A2 be two events, show that P (A1 ∩ A2) ≤ P (A1) . P (A2)
2) show that P (A1 ∩ A2 ∩ ... ... An) ≤ P (A1) . P (A2) . ... ... ... ... P (An)
4)
show that P (A + B) + P (/ A + / B) = 1

I have problems with these exercises. I don't know if I copied them wrong.
thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org


kezman said:
1) A1 A2 be two events, show that P (A1 ∩ A2) ≤ P (A1) . P (A2)
2) show that P (A1 ∩ A2 ∩ ... ... An) ≤ P (A1) . P (A2) . ... ... ... ... P (An)
4)
show that P (A + B) + P (/ A + / B) = 1

I have problems with these exercises. I don't know if I copied them wrong.
thanks

Why don't you look and see if you copied them wrong?

What if A1 = A2 and P(A1) = 1/2?

And what does A+B mean for sets A and B? And what does /A mean?
 


I don't have the original statements, but we were looking for a counterexample. The last one instead of plus is union and / is complement. I am sure that one is false too.
 


kezman said:
I don't have the original statements, but we were looking for a counterexample. The last one instead of plus is union and / is complement. I am sure that one is false too.

Me too.
 


kezman said:
but we were looking for a counterexample.
So that means you are trying to disprove them. It would have been useful if you had of stated that at the outset.
 


kezman said:
1) A1 A2 be two events, show that ... etc.

Are Venn diagrams good enough for demonstrating this?[/color]
 


thanks everybody for the help. At the beginning we didnt know if there were ok or not. Now we are sure. thanks