1-D Kinematics question, pls help

• Thread starter 9giddjl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the conversation discusses a question regarding 1-D kinematics involving a train moving between two stations. The first part of the question involves finding the distance traveled in the first 165 seconds, while the second part involves finding the distance traveled during deceleration. The concept of uniform retardation is explained as constant deceleration, and the conversation concludes with a clear understanding of the problem and its solution.
9giddjl
1-D Kinematics question, pls help:)

Homework Statement

A train moves off from a station and accelerates uniformly for 30.0 s over a distance of 225 m. It continues with the speed acquired for another 135 s, then the driver applies the brakes and the train comes to rest with uniform retardation at the next station in a further 10.0 s. Calculate the distance between the two stations

Homework Equations

vav= s/t?

The Attempt at a Solution

In the first part of the equation 'A train moves from a station...over a distance of 225 m'. It states that accelerates uniformily for 30. s over distance of 225 m and then continues that speed for another 135 s, so i did 135 s/30 s and then multiplied the answer which is 4.5 by 225 m= 1012.5, therefore it traveled 1012.5 m in the first 165 sec. The part of the equation i dnt understand is the last part 'then the driver applies the brakes...' and i do not understand what uniform retardation is. Could someone please help me?
I would really appreciate it, thankyou!:)

Physics news on Phys.org
there seems to be some values missing in the question, you need a value of the acceleration or the maximum speed, but it doesn't give you one...

Separate the journey into three legs;

The first leg is the departure with which we can use the equation of motion:

[tex]s = ut + \frac{at^{2}}2[/tex]

to find the acceleration. Then use this to find the max speed obtained after acceleration.

Alternatively, you can just use;

[tex]s = \frac{(u + v)}2[/tex]

and solve for v, the final speed after acceleration.

Both of these equations will yield the same result.

Are you familiar with these equations of motion?

Last edited:
Hmm, first line you have u( initial speed ) =0 ,s= 225m, so using s= ut + 1/2at^2 u get a=o.5m/s^2.

Using v= u + at we get final speed (v) = 15m/s

For second line, its linear speed, so to calculate distance covered u use v=d/t, so d = 15*135 = 2025m

And for last part, to calculate retardation u use v= u + at, where v=0, u=15 and t=10...a= -1.5m/s^2

Using s= ut + 0.5at^2, we get distance during retardation, and finally add all distance

You really shouldn't just give the answer..

astrorob said:
You really shouldn't just give the answer..

Sorry, am new here, just learning how to post ^^

Khushveen said:
Hmm, first line you have u( initial speed ) =0 ,s= 225m, so using s= ut + 1/2at^2 u get a=o.5m/s^2.

Using v= u + at we get final speed (v) = 15m/s

For second line, its linear speed, so to calculate distance covered u use v=d/t, so d = 15*135 = 2025m

And for last part, to calculate retardation u use v= u + at, where v=0, u=15 and t=10...a= -1.5m/s^2

Using s= ut + 0.5at^2, we get distance during retardation, and finally add all distance

Thankyou for that, i understand the first part. Could someone pls tell me what uniform retardation means, is that decceleration? and also why do u make the initial speed 15 m/s in the last part, that was the final speed for the first part but why is it the initial speed in the last? i understand why the final speed is 0 but not why u is 15.
thankyou veri much for helping tho!

Well,

Uniform retardation means constant deceleration.

As for your second question, think of the journey in three parts.

The train accelerates to 15m/s, then travels a distance at THIS constant speed, then uniformly decelerates to 0m/s.

0m/s > acceleration > 15m/s > constant speed > deceleration > 0m/s

In the last leg of our journey, we're dealing with the deceleration, so the initial speed before deceleration is 15m/s.

Oh I get it now! Thankyou very much!

You're welcome

1. What is 1-D Kinematics?

1-D Kinematics is the study of motion in a straight line, without considering the forces that may be causing the motion.

2. What are the basic equations used in 1-D Kinematics?

The basic equations used in 1-D Kinematics are displacement (Δx = x2 - x1), velocity (v = Δx/Δt), and acceleration (a = Δv/Δt).

3. How do you solve a 1-D Kinematics problem?

To solve a 1-D Kinematics problem, you first need to identify the given information, such as initial and final positions, velocities, and accelerations. Then, you can use the basic equations to calculate any missing values.

4. What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. Average velocity can be represented by a straight line on a position-time graph, while instantaneous velocity is represented by the slope of a tangent line at a specific point on the graph.

5. What are some real-world applications of 1-D Kinematics?

1-D Kinematics has many real-world applications, such as calculating the speed of a moving car or the acceleration of a roller coaster. It is also used in sports, such as calculating the speed of a baseball pitch or the acceleration of a runner. Additionally, 1-D Kinematics is used in engineering to design and analyze the motion of machines and structures.