1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1-D wave-equation and change of variables

1. Aug 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all.

I have the 1-D wave-equation, and I wish to make a change of variables, where a = x+ct and b = x-ct. I get:

c^2 \frac{{\partial ^2 u}}{{\partial x^2 }} = c^2 \left[ {\frac{{d^2 u}}{{da^2 }}\left( {\frac{{da}}{{dx}}} \right)^2 + \frac{{du}}{{da}}\frac{{d^2 a}}{{dx^2 }}} \right] + c^2 \left[ {\frac{{d^2 u}}{{db^2 }}\left( {\frac{{db}}{{dx}}} \right)^2 + \frac{{du}}{{db}}\frac{{d^2 b}}{{dx^2 }}} \right] = c^2 \frac{{d^2 u}}{{da^2 }} + c^2 \frac{{d^2 u}}{{db^2 }} \\
    \frac{{\partial ^2 u}}{{\partial t^2 }} = \left[ {\frac{{d^2 u}}{{da^2 }}\left( {\frac{{da}}{{dt}}} \right)^2 + \frac{{du}}{{da}}\frac{{d^2 a}}{{dt^2 }}} \right] + \left[ {\frac{{d^2 u}}{{db^2 }}\left( {\frac{{db}}{{dt}}} \right)^2 + \frac{{du}}{{db}}\frac{{d^2 b}}{{dt^2 }}} \right] = c^2 \frac{{d^2 u}}{{da^2 }} + c^2 \frac{{d^2 u}}{{db^2 }} \\

For this I have used the chain rule for higher derivates (for second derivates, from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_rule). The result I wish to get is:

\frac{{\partial ^2 u}}{{\partial a\partial b}} = 0

I can't quite see how I would get this. Am I on the right track here?

EDIT: Ok, now this is the second thread in a row I am doing this: I preview the thread, and the title resets itself. The original title was: "1-D wave-equation and change of variables". If a moderator can insert the proper title, I would be grateful.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I've changed the title. Thanks for letting us know that it was the preview that causes the problem.
  4. Aug 24, 2008 #3
    Ok, my first attempt is quite bad. Instead of using the expression from Wikipedia, I can just derive du/dx and du/dt with respect to dx and dt, respectively. But still, this gives me:

c^2 \frac{{\partial ^2 u}}{{\partial x\partial a}} + c^2 \frac{{\partial ^2 u}}{{\partial x\partial b}} = c\frac{{\partial ^2 u}}{{\partial t\partial a}} - c\frac{{\partial ^2 u}}{{\partial t\partial b}}

Is it possible to go from this to

\frac{{\partial ^2 u}}{{\partial a\partial b}} = 0

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?