1 vectors and 1 limits problem

In summary: R= pA + qB + rC, so since R=0, then pA+qB+rC=0. A, B and C are all non-zero and perpendicular, so they are linearly independent. Therefore, the only solution is p=q=r=0.In summary, the first problem shows that for three non-zero perpendicular vectors A, B, and C, their coefficients in the zero vector R must all be equal to 0. The second problem involves taking the derivative of a function f(x) and using the definition of differentiation to solve for f'(0). The conversation also touches on the concept of linear independence and using limits to solve equations.
Icetray
Hi guys,

Starting revision for my exams and I can't seem to solve these problems. ):

1. Given that three non zero vectors A, B and C are perpendicular to each other and that the vector R = pA + qB + rC is a zero vector, show that p = q = r = 0

2. In another question, given that f(x) is differenciatable at x = 0 and [itex]\frac{Lim}{x->0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{f(x) - f(kx)}{x}[/itex] = a, wjere a and k are constants.

b. Show that f'(0) = a/1-k

What I did was take the defination of differenciation:
[itex]\frac{Lim}{h->0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h}[/itex]

and I let x = kx, and h = (1-k)x,
[itex]\frac{Lim}{(1-k)x->0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{f(x) - f(kx)}{(1-k)x}[/itex]

and I did this (assuming that I can write [itex]\frac{Lim}{(1-k)x->0}[/itex] as [itex]\frac{Lim}{x->0}[/itex]

1/(1-k)[itex]\frac{Lim}{x->0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{f(x) - f(kx)}{x}[/itex] = a/1-k

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

*Edit* Just realized that I misread the forum title and posted in the wrong one. ):

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Icetray said:
Hi guys,

Starting revision for my exams and I can't seem to solve these problems. ):

1. Given that three non zero vectors A, B and C are perpendicular to each other and that the vector R = pA + qB + rC is a zero vector, show that p = q = r = 0

What can you tell us about the inner products R.A, R.B and R.C??

2. In another question, given that f(x) is differenciatable at x = 0 and [itex]\frac{Lim}{x->0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{f(x) - f(kx)}{x}[/itex] = a, wjere a and k are constants.

b. Show that f'(0) = a/1-k

What I did was take the defination of differenciation:

and I let x = kx, and h = (1-k)x,

and I did this (assuming that I can write [itex]\frac{Lim}{(1-k)x->0}[/itex] as [itex]\frac{Lim}{x->0}[/itex]

1/(1-k)[itex]\frac{Lim}{x->0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{f(x) - f(kx)}{x}[/itex] = a/1-k

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

*Edit* Just realized that I misread the forum title and posted in the wrong one. ):
[/QUOTE]

No, you can't do that. You took

but the x in there is a constant! But later

your x is suddenly a limit variable.

I'll illustrate it by taking x=2, then you write

[itex]\frac{Lim}{h->0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{f(2+h) - f(2)}{h}[/itex]

this is perfectly valid and it equals f'(2). But then you write

[itex]\frac{Lim}{(1-k)2->0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{f(2) - f(k2)}{(1-k)2}[/itex]

which obviously makes no sense. (1-k)2 -> 0 makes no sense!

I'll give you a hint on how to solve it:

\begin{align}
f^\prime(0)
&= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}{\frac{f(h)-f(0)}{h}}\\
&= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}{ \frac{\frac{f(h)-f(kh)}{h}}{ \frac{f(h)-f(kh)}{f(h)-f(0)}}}\\
&= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}{ \frac{\frac{f(h)-f(kh)}{h}}{ \frac{(f(h)-f(0)) - (f(kh)-f(0))}{f(h)-f(0)}}}\\
\end{align}

micromass said:
What can you tell us about the inner products R.A, R.B and R.C??

Oh!

R.R = R.A + R.B + R.C
Since R.R = 0,
R= p = q = r?

micromass said:
I'll give you a hint on how to solve it:

\begin{align}
f^\prime(0)
&= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}{\frac{f(h)-f(0)}{h}}\\
&= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}{ \frac{\frac{f(h)-f(kh)}{h}}{ \frac{f(h)-f(kh)}{f(h)-f(0)}}}\\
&= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}{ \frac{\frac{f(h)-f(kh)}{h}}{ \frac{(f(h)-f(0)) - (f(kh)-f(0))}{f(h)-f(0)}}}\\
\end{align}

How did you get from the first to the second step? )(Actually I'm lost from that step onwards also)

Anyway thanks for your help so far micromass!

R.A = pA.A Since R=0 then R.A=0, however A.A > 0, therefore p=0. Similarly for q and r.

Icetray said:
Oh!

R.R = R.A + R.B + R.C
Since R.R = 0,
R= p = q = r?
Why do you say "R.R= 0"?? And "R= p= q= r" makes no sense. R is a vector while p, q, and r are numbers.

HallsofIvy said:
Why do you say "R.R= 0"?? And "R= p= q= r" makes no sense. R is a vector while p, q, and r are numbers.

R=0, therefore R.R=0

The second line is a typo - I meant p=q=r=0.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by a line segment with an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector. Vectors are commonly used in physics and engineering to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and displacement.

2. How are vectors represented?

Vectors can be represented in different ways, including geometrically as line segments, algebraically as a list of numbers, or graphically using arrows. In mathematics, vectors are typically represented using lowercase bold letters (ex: v) or by writing the vector components in parentheses (ex: (3, 4)).

3. What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input values get closer and closer to a specific value. It represents the value that a function approaches but may not necessarily reach at a certain point. Limits are used to define derivatives and integrals, which are essential tools in many areas of science and mathematics.

4. How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can use algebraic manipulation, graphing, or evaluation at specific points. You can also use the properties of limits, such as the sum, difference, product, and quotient rules, to simplify the problem. In some cases, you may need to apply more advanced techniques, such as L'Hôpital's rule or the squeeze theorem.

5. Why are limits important in science?

Limits are important in science because they allow us to describe and analyze real-world phenomena that are constantly changing. For example, in physics, limits are used to describe the instantaneous velocity and acceleration of an object. In chemistry, they are used to determine the rate of a chemical reaction. In biology, they are used to model population growth and other dynamic systems. Without limits, we would not be able to understand and predict the behavior of many natural processes.