100 hotel rooms and 100 guests?

• Thread starter mimibajiduh
  • Start date
In summary, there are 100 hotel rooms and 100 guests. The guests take turns going to different rooms and changing their status from open to closed or closed to open. The rooms with an even number of factors have the same status, while the rooms with an odd number of factors have the same status. This means that all the rooms are closed except for the square numbers, which are open.
mimibajiduh
there are 100 hotel rooms and 100 guests.
change the status means open goes to closed and closed goes to open.

guest 1: goes to every room and changes its status
guest 2: goes to every 2 rooms(2, 4,6,8,...,100) and changes its status
guest 3: goes to every 3 rooms and changes its status
guest 4: goes to every 4 rooms and changes its status
this goes on all the way to guest 100
guest 100: goes to 100 and changes its status

which rooms are closed? i know that room 1 is closed.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi mimibajiduh! :smile:

take rooms 10 20 30 and 60 as examples …

how many guests visit each of those rooms? :wink:

I remember this question from my gr.7 class and I remember writing like huge essay to explain it. Let's see if i can do it in few lines. So, you have 100 rooms. or essentially 100 numbers. Then think about factors of each number. So let's say 8 for example factors are: 1, 2, 4, 8.
Now think about pairs: 1 x 8 = 8 and 2 x 4 = 8.
basically all of the numbers are pairs. Except 10 of them; namely squares: 1,4,9,16,25,36,49,64,81,100... By that i mean consider factors for 36 =>
1 x 36 = 36
2 x 18 = 36
3 x 12 = 36
4 x 9 = 36
BUT:
6 x 6 = 36

Hopefully you get the idea.

utkarsh1 said:
I remember this question from my gr.7 class and I remember writing like huge essay to explain it. Let's see if i can do it in few lines. So, you have 100 rooms. or essentially 100 numbers. Then think about factors of each number. So let's say 8 for example factors are: 1, 2, 4, 8.
Now think about pairs: 1 x 8 = 8 and 2 x 4 = 8.
basically all of the numbers are pairs. Except 10 of them; namely squares: 1,4,9,16,25,36,49,64,81,100... By that i mean consider factors for 36 =>
1 x 36 = 36
2 x 18 = 36
3 x 12 = 36
4 x 9 = 36
BUT:
6 x 6 = 36

Hopefully you get the idea.

hey utkarsh 1 , i am utkarsh009, what a coincidence!
first tell me what was the original status of all the rooms and also whether the guests have to change the status of their room for coming out?
now, let me just explain what you said in my words. just see if i am correct or not.
the the numbers which have even number of factors have the same status and the ones with odd number of factors have same status.
if the original status was that all the rooms were opened then the square numbers (which have odd number of factors) will be closed.
just check whether i am right or not?

utkarsh009 said:
hey utkarsh 1 , i am utkarsh009, what a coincidence!
now, let me just explain what you said in my words. just see if i am correct or not.

Yes its correct! Probably better explained since its more concise

utkarsh1 said:
Yes its correct! Probably better explained since its more concise

thank you very much !

Related to 100 hotel rooms and 100 guests?

1. What is the average occupancy rate for the 100 hotel rooms and 100 guests?

The average occupancy rate for this scenario would be 50%, assuming that each guest occupies one room. This percentage can vary depending on the number of guests per room and the number of rooms available.

2. How many guests can each room accommodate?

Each room can accommodate one guest, assuming the standard hotel room occupancy rate of one or two guests per room. However, some hotels may have larger rooms or suites that can accommodate more guests.

3. How many nights will the hotel rooms be occupied for with 100 guests?

This depends on the length of stay for each guest. If each guest stays for one night, then the hotel rooms will be occupied for 100 nights in total. However, if some guests stay for multiple nights, then the total number of nights will be higher.

4. How many hotels would be needed to accommodate 100 guests if each hotel has 100 rooms?

If each hotel has 100 rooms, then only one hotel would be needed to accommodate 100 guests. However, if each hotel has fewer rooms, then multiple hotels may be needed to accommodate all 100 guests.

5. What is the revenue potential for the hotel with 100 rooms and 100 guests?

The revenue potential would depend on various factors such as the room rates, length of stay for each guest, and additional services utilized by the guests. It is difficult to determine an exact revenue potential without more information about the hotel and its pricing strategies.