Solving the Infinity Hotel Problem: 161 Guests

• MHB
  • Thread starter Yankel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinity
In summary: This can be done for any finite number of people, showing that the infinity hotel can accommodate any finite number of new guests. In summary, the bijection of moving person n to n+161 allows for 161 new arrivals to fit into the infinity hotel.
Yankel
Hello all,

You are probably familiar with the problem of the infinity hotel, a hotel in which there is an infinite number of rooms. Each room is filled with a guest, i.e. there are infinite number of people too. It is well known that two infinite sets have the same number of elements if there is a bijection from one to another. For example, if an infinite group of new people arrive at the hotel, then if the person in the n's room goes to the room in the 2n's room, then this function f(n)=2n is the bijection and they all fit in.

I am trying to find a bijection to solve the problem of a finite number of people arriving at the hotel. For example, 161 people arrive to the "full" hotel. How do they fit in ?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yankel said:
Hello all,

You are probably familiar with the problem of the infinity hotel, a hotel in which there is an infinite number of rooms. Each room is filled with a guest, i.e. there are infinite number of people too. It is well known that two infinite sets have the same number of elements if there is a bijection from one to another. For example, if an infinite group of new people arrive at the hotel, then if the person in the n's room goes to the room in the 2n's room, then this function f(n)=2n is the bijection and they all fit in.

I am trying to find a bijection to solve the problem of a finite number of people arriving at the hotel. For example, 161 people arrive to the "full" hotel. How do they fit in ?

Thank you in advance.

Actually, f(n)=2n is not a bijection, since for instance 1 does not have an original.
But it does free up all the odd rooms, so that a new arrival with number i can occupy room 2i-1.

To fit in 161 people, we can move person n to n+161, which frees up the first 161 rooms for the new arrivals.

1. How many rooms are in the Infinity Hotel?

The Infinity Hotel has an infinite number of rooms.

2. How many guests can the Infinity Hotel accommodate?

As the name suggests, the Infinity Hotel can accommodate an infinite number of guests.

3. How is it possible to accommodate an infinite number of guests in a finite hotel?

The concept of the Infinity Hotel is a mathematical thought experiment that explores the concept of infinity. It is not a real hotel, but rather a way to demonstrate the properties of infinity.

4. How does the Infinity Hotel problem work?

The Infinity Hotel problem is a paradox in which an infinite number of guests can be accommodated in a hotel with an infinite number of rooms, even when the hotel is fully booked. This is achieved through a series of room reassignments and shifting guests to different rooms.

5. What is the significance of the Infinity Hotel problem?

The Infinity Hotel problem helps us understand the properties of infinity and challenges our understanding of traditional mathematical concepts. It also has practical applications in areas such as computer science and economics.