Solving for 100x: A Math Puzzle

• Thread starter thomas49th
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Puzzle
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a technique for rewriting a repeating decimal as a fraction. This technique is useful for making decimals look prettier in equations and also serves as a constructive proof that any periodic decimal is a rational number. The method involves multiplying the decimal by 100 and then subtracting the original decimal, resulting in a fraction. This technique is not just "used" but rather illustrates a mathematical proposition.
thomas49th
Hi, I recall a thingy when you have somthing like

x = 0.91919191

then you go 100x = 91.919191
100x - x = 91

When do you use this? It's in conjuction with somthing else... looked in my textbook can't find it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally, I use that when I have a repeating, non-terminating decimal that I want to get in fractional form so it looks prettier in an equation.

Why should you care "when is it used"?
It is a wrong question; the technique is never "used"; rather, it illustrates how you may rewrite a periodic decimal as a fraction.

That is, the technique amounts to a constructive PROOF of a certain mathematical proposition:
namely that any periodic decimal can be written as a fraction between two natural numbers, i.e a periodic decimal is necessarily a rational number.

100x - x=99x=91

x=91/99

Thats why its used, to get urself a fraction.

1. What is "Solving for 100x: A Math Puzzle"?

"Solving for 100x: A Math Puzzle" is a math puzzle that involves finding the value of x in the equation 100x = 100. It requires using basic algebraic principles to solve.

2. How difficult is "Solving for 100x: A Math Puzzle"?

The difficulty of "Solving for 100x: A Math Puzzle" can vary depending on an individual's math skills and knowledge of algebra. However, with practice and understanding of basic algebraic principles, it can be solved easily.

3. What are the steps to solve "Solving for 100x: A Math Puzzle"?

The steps to solve "Solving for 100x: A Math Puzzle" are as follows:1. Divide both sides of the equation by 100.2. Simplify the equation to x = 1.

4. Can "Solving for 100x: A Math Puzzle" have multiple solutions?

No, "Solving for 100x: A Math Puzzle" only has one solution, which is x = 1. This is because 100x = 100 is a linear equation with one variable, so it can only have one solution.

5. What is the practical application of "Solving for 100x: A Math Puzzle"?

The practical application of "Solving for 100x: A Math Puzzle" is to practice and reinforce basic algebraic principles, such as solving linear equations with one variable. It can also help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.