Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

12 yr old who raped teacher gets life-long sentence

1. Mar 11, 2005 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I guess that "center for problem children" says it all,huh...?

Daniel.

P.S.:surprised: Was the teacher a male...?

4. Mar 11, 2005 #3
    Was this some suprisingly strong kid, or weak teacher? I would think that anyone would be able to knock out your average 12 year old.

edit.. here is the BBC english version: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4340339.stm

edit2...

After reading the story, I am very pleased with the British judicial system. Here in the US the kid would have got a slap on the wrist, or maybe community service.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  5. Mar 11, 2005 #4

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, well slap on the wrist doesn't quite cut it, but life - long ... suppose there is the possibility of parole after some number of years and this does mean sentencing to a rehab of sorts ? A disturbed puppy.

6. Mar 11, 2005 #5
    I think a life-long sentence would be a very normal and fair emotional response (revenge) however I don't know if it's right. I mean, I think at 12 years old the kid would still have a slim window to make something of himself.

7. Mar 11, 2005 #6
    ummm

hmm... are you sure this kid was 12 at the time?? hrm what has become of the british? i dont think that story is true somthing screwed up with the teacher... gz that kid was like in...6th grade.... i dont think i was checking out chicks that young.. :confused:

8. Mar 11, 2005 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As the judge said:

9. Mar 11, 2005 #8

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The kid was 5'3" and 'stocky', the teacher was 5'1". I don't think that makes for an argument in his favour.

Anyway, the average life sentence in the UK is 15 years, and in this case the judge ordered a minimum of 21 months detention to be served, but that it would probably be longer.

10. Mar 11, 2005 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the teacher was a perv.She liked it.

Daniel.

11. Mar 11, 2005 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Actually i heard about this story a while ago (i think its hte same). The kids a problem child and needs drugs and all. Its a very dangerous job. I dont remember the rape though... i thought he just beat the teacher up.

12. Mar 11, 2005 #11

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

How can a life sentence be a minimum of 21 months provided the inmate lives longer than that? How can the circumstances of rehab vary so wildly as to necessitate that amount of leeway (potentially 70 years or so) in what the actual sentence comes out to?

13. Mar 11, 2005 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I think its because hes a minor.

14. Mar 11, 2005 #13

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Life sneteces rarely have minimum tariffs of as low as 21 months and I imagine the judge set such a low tariff becaus eof the boys age. 'Life' can be misleading as the actual time served can be only a few years, but the thing about life sentences is that IIRC technically anyone who has been sentenced to life has been realised they can be re-imprisoned for arbitarily long periods for virtually no reason (it could be something as minor as having a drink in a pub)*

* the above is only what I can personally remeber and may very well be inaccurate.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  15. Mar 11, 2005 #14
    Psychopath.

16. Mar 12, 2005 #15
    You come out with such crap dexter? Put yourself in her position and then think about whether you would have liked it.

17. Mar 12, 2005 #16
    Arrest the parents. This child is underage, the parents are responsible, put them in jail as well.

If this child was a dog, the owner of the dog would have been held responsible for the dog's actions. I think parents of deliquents owe a debt to society for what they have inflicted. They have a right to be presumed innocent, but if it can be proved they mistreated the child or did not seek the proper care for his condition, they should be held responsible as well.

18. Mar 12, 2005 #17
    I also think you should hold the parents partly responsible.

19. Mar 12, 2005 #18
    It's awful, i think, and the fact you can recieve three life sentences! though, depsite what jeffory archer said, the british prison system does seem to work, even if it fixes a minority

Padford

20. Mar 12, 2005 #19
    i think that the parents are partly responsible too, but jailing them isn't going to help the child at all, is it?! Many people cannot see if their children are wrecking their lives, as they only see what the want, the whole seeing life through rose coloured glasses, or whatever it is!

and i read earlier that someone thought she was a perv, and wanted it. it think that's sick, and quite inconsiderate, you may not know her, but have some sympathy.

21. Mar 12, 2005 #20
    If you were a parent and knew that you could be arrested for acts committed by your spoiled or abused child, wouldn't you begin to take a more serious look at your parenting? Perhaps it would help other children, if bad parents saw they could be held accountable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?