1d Kinematics, missing something.

In summary, the conversation involves a person asking for help in calculating the average velocity for each segment of a position-time graph. The expert provides guidance and points out a mistake in the calculation of time, resulting in the correct answers for the average velocity.
Kildars
A person who walks for exercise produces the position-time graph given with this problem.

02_64.gif

(b) Calculate the average velocity for each segment to verify your answers to part (a).
A
m/s
B
m/s
C
m/s
D
m/s

B is obviously 0

For A I did .20 of an hour is 300 seconds.
And 1km = 1000m

So 1000/300 =3.33 and that is wrong..

What am I doing wrong here I used:
[tex]v_{ave} = \Delta x / \Delta t[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The expression for average velocity is correct, but you calculated the time wrong. 1 hour equals 3600 seconds. So, 0.2 hours equals 720 seconds.

Ah, thank you.

I corrected my mistake and fixed my answers and they're correct.

1. What is 1D kinematics?

1D kinematics is the study of motion in one dimension, typically along a straight line. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object over time.

2. What is a "missing something" problem in 1D kinematics?

A "missing something" problem in 1D kinematics is a type of problem where one of the variables, such as position, velocity, or acceleration, is unknown and needs to be solved for using the given information and equations of motion.

3. How do you solve a "missing something" problem in 1D kinematics?

To solve a "missing something" problem in 1D kinematics, you need to identify which variable is missing and then use the appropriate equation of motion to solve for it. You may also need to use other equations, such as the kinematic equations, to find additional information.

4. What are some common strategies for solving "missing something" problems in 1D kinematics?

Some common strategies for solving "missing something" problems in 1D kinematics include using the appropriate equations of motion, drawing a motion diagram, setting up a table of known and unknown variables, and using algebraic manipulation to solve for the missing variable.

5. Can "missing something" problems in 1D kinematics be solved without knowing all the variables?

Yes, "missing something" problems in 1D kinematics can be solved even if you do not know all the variables. However, you will need to have at least two known variables to solve for the missing one. It is also important to check your answer and units to ensure they are reasonable.