1D-kinematics with constant acceleration

In summary, the cat in the given graph moves in a straight line with a velocity of (-4/3)*t + 8, reaching a maximum displacement of 24 cm at t=6s. From t=0 to t=7.5s, the cat travels a distance of 25.5cm in the positive direction along the x-axis.
Elvis 123456789
1. A cat walks in a straight line, which we shall call the x-axis with the positive direction to the right. As an observant physicist, you make measurements of this cat's motion and construct a graph of the feline's velocity as a function of time the figure..... http://postimg.org/image/4q40kyrnx/

What distance does the cat move from t=0 to t=7.5s?

Homework Equations

a=dv(t)/dt
x(t)=x0 +∫v(t)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

From the graph I got v(t)=(-4/3)*t + 8

I integrated and got x(t)=(-4/6)*t^2 + 8*t
I evaluated at the the upper and lower limits and got 22.5 cm for the answer but got it wrong[/B]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just add the area under the line.

Hello, and welcome to PF!

Your work looks good for finding x(t). You are asked for the distance traveled. Is that the same thing as the displacement?

I thought that was how you're supposed to solve for distance traveled. I don't really know what else to do.

Does the cat ever turn around and walk back in the opposite direction? Did you take that into account?

So then at -4/3*t + 8=0 the cat reaches its maximum displacement of 24 cm @ t=6s. and at t=7.5s the cat is at 22.5 cm, so the distance is equal to 24cm + 1.5cm= 25.5cm?

Yes, at least that's what I would interpret as distance traveled.

Yes you are right, thank you friend!

Related to 1D-kinematics with constant acceleration

1. What is 1D-kinematics with constant acceleration?

1D-kinematics with constant acceleration is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects along a single line or dimension, while also taking into account the acceleration of the object. This means that the velocity of the object changes at a constant rate over time.

2. How is acceleration calculated in 1D-kinematics?

Acceleration in 1D-kinematics with constant acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration in 1D-kinematics?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction, while acceleration is a measure of the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. In 1D-kinematics, velocity is constant if there is no acceleration, but acceleration can change the velocity of an object.

4. How does 1D-kinematics with constant acceleration relate to real-world scenarios?

1D-kinematics with constant acceleration can be used to analyze and understand the motion of objects in real-world scenarios, such as a car accelerating on a straight road or a ball falling due to gravity. It helps scientists and engineers predict and control the movement of objects in various situations.

5. What are some common applications of 1D-kinematics with constant acceleration?

Some common applications of 1D-kinematics with constant acceleration include designing roller coasters, analyzing the motion of projectiles, and predicting the trajectory of a rocket. It is also used in sports science to study the movements of athletes and in the development of transportation technology.