Limits of Rational Functions: Solving for Undefined Limits

In summary, the conversation is about calculating a limit and using a common denominator to simplify the expression. The person asking the question made a mistake in canceling out terms, but they eventually corrected it and got the correct answer of 1/-6.
m0286
Hello
1 More Question
It says Calculate the following limits:
lim x-> -3 ((1/x+3)+6/(x^2-9)) So what i did was changed x^2-9 into (x-3)(x+3) and then made that the common denominator so I got
1(x-3) + 6/(x-3)(x+3) then the (x-3)'s cancel and your left with 6/(x+3) but then I plug int he -3 and I get 6/0 which is undefined, is that the answer that it doesn't exist or am I doing something wrong? THANKS

Physics news on Phys.org
you're looking for [tex]lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow -3} \frac{1}{x+3} + \frac{6}{x^2-9} [/tex]...you are correct to look for a common denominator...but you made a mistake at the point where you cancel out terms. What is 1(x-3) + 6 ? :wink:

Last edited:
Thanks!

Ohh ok yea I get it so 1(x-3)+6 is x-3+6 so x+3 then the x+3's cancel out and you get 1/(x-3) which is 1/-6... THANKS!

cool! :smile:

FAQ: Limits of Rational Functions: Solving for Undefined Limits

1. What is a limit in calculus?

A limit in calculus is the value that a function approaches as the input (x-value) approaches a certain point. It is used to describe the behavior of a function at a particular point or near a particular point.

2. How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can use algebraic manipulation, graphing, or substitution. Algebraic manipulation involves simplifying the function and taking the limit as x approaches the given point. Graphing involves visually observing the behavior of the function near the given point. Substitution involves substituting the given point for x in the function and evaluating the resulting expression.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of the function as x approaches the given point from one side, either the left or the right. A two-sided limit considers the behavior of the function as x approaches the given point from both sides, and for the limit to exist, the one-sided limits must be equal.

4. How do you determine if a limit exists?

A limit exists if the one-sided limits are equal or if the two-sided limit is equal to the one-sided limits. Additionally, the function must approach the same value from both sides as x approaches the given point.

5. Why are limits important in calculus?

Limits are important in calculus because they help us understand the behavior of a function at a certain point or near a certain point. They are also used to define continuity, derivatives, and integrals, which are fundamental concepts in calculus. Limits also play a crucial role in solving real-world problems such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a function.

Back