1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1st year Undergraduate Grad Physics books

1. Jun 14, 2012 #1
    Hey guys, I am a maths student going onto second year. I wanted to take some physics modules but I'd need some 1st year physics pre-requisites. The topics I need to learn over the summer are:

Astronomy
    Quantum Phenomena
    Particle Physics
    Waves
    Electricity and Magnetism
    Classical Mechanics and Relativity

The recommended book by the university is Young & Freedman's University Physics (covers all the above topics), but I was wondering if you could give me other suggestions? I am really into physics so something that would go deeper than a 1st year course would also be fine.

Thank you in advance! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2012 #2
    Feynman Lectures on Physics

Griffith's book on electrodynamics

Taylor, Mechanics

Schroeder, Thermal Physics

4. Jun 14, 2012 #3
    Thank you! Would these go beyond the first year since they are dedicated to a specific topic? And do they have lots of questions to practice on too? :)

5. Jun 14, 2012 #4
    They all go beyond a first year.

The feynman lectures are lectures for an intro course aimed at the very best at Caltech. That means they are freshman topics at a very high level.

Taylor, Griffiths and Schroeder are all designed for UD sequences but they cover intro topics too but at a mature level so, if you pick and choose what to read, it's approachable if you know some calculus and such.

They have tons of problems ranging from plug-n-chug to very, very challenging.

6. Jun 26, 2012 #5
    I just checked the contents page on Taylor's Classical Mechanics... it has special relativity in it which is awesome! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook