2-D Waves: Relation of power with radius

In summary, the power of waves is directly proportional to the amplitude squared for all waves. In the 2-D case, the power will depend on the radius, with plane waves having a constant amplitude and power. However, not all 2-D waves are plane waves. In special cases, the power can be constant, but in general, it will have a dependence on the radius. In two dimensions, the amplitude falls off as 1/sqrt(r) and thus the power falls off as 1/r. In three dimensions, the power falls off as 1/r^2, while in one dimension it remains constant with respect to the radius. The relationship between power and radius can be understood by considering the Poynting vector
PrinceOfDarkness
As I understand, power is directly propotional to amplitude squared for all waves. In the 2-D case, how will power depend on 'r'?

For plane waves, the wavefunction is exp(ik.r) and multiplying it with its complex conjugate gives a constant amplitude and thus a constant power (I think). But who says that all 2-D waves are plane waves!

In special cases, power can be constant, but I guess, in general, it must have a dependence on 'r'. I read in AP French's book 'Vibrations and Waves', somewhere in the last chapter where he discusses the solutions of wave equation in two and three dimensions, that far from the source the amplitude falls off as 1/sqrt(r). So Amplitude squared would be 1/r and thus power will fall as 1/r.

Is that correct? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
PrinceOfDarkness said:
As I understand, power is directly propotional to amplitude squared for all waves. In the 2-D case, how will power depend on 'r'?

For plane waves, the wavefunction is exp(ik.r) and multiplying it with its complex conjugate gives a constant amplitude and thus a constant power (I think). But who says that all 2-D waves are plane waves!

um... nobody says that. Indeed, plane-waves with respect to the distance from some origin (e.g., [tex]e^{ikr}[/tex]) are not solutions to the wave-equation in more than one dimension; the scattered (or radiation) part of the wave may have the form of a plane wave *multiplied by another function*, but never a plane-wave alone in more than one-dimension.

As you stated, in two dimensions the scattered wave does infact have the form
[tex]
\psi\approx\sqrt{\frac{1}{r}}e^{ikr}\;.
[/tex]
I.e., a plane wave in radial distance multiplied by one over the squareroot of the distance.

In special cases, power can be constant, but I guess, in general, it must have a dependence on 'r'. I read in AP French's book 'Vibrations and Waves', somewhere in the last chapter where he discusses the solutions of wave equation in two and three dimensions, that far from the source the amplitude falls off as 1/sqrt(r). So Amplitude squared would be 1/r and thus power will fall as 1/r.

Is that correct? :confused:

sure. Thus in two dimensions the power radiated is always finite, not infinite and not zero, as it should be. Similarly in three dimensions having radiation fall-off like 1/r leads to finite power radiated, and in one dimension having radiation fall off like 1/r^0=1 leads to finite power radiated.

Thank you.

Correct me if I am wrong: Power falls off as
1/r^2 in 3-D
1/r in 2-D
Constant w.r.t. 'r' in 1-D?

You've been very helpful. I've been confused about this question for a while now!

PrinceOfDarkness said:
Thank you.

Correct me if I am wrong: Power falls off as
1/r^2 in 3-D
1/r in 2-D
Constant w.r.t. 'r' in 1-D?

You've been very helpful. I've been confused about this question for a while now!

Yeah, I believe so. What you want to look at is the Poynting vector
[tex]
\vec S=\vec E \times \vec H\;.
[/tex]
If you integrate this over a surface it tells you the energy which flows through the surface per unit time (power). One can thus figure out how fast the radiated power falls off by reasoning thusly:

In three dimensions consider a very large spherical surface which encloses a radiating object. The energy flowing through the surface is all due to radiation because we have chosen it to be very far away. The area of the surface is [tex]4\pi r^2[/tex] thus the energy radiated must fall off as [tex]1/r^2[/tex].

Similarly in two dimensions we consider a very large circle whose "surface" length is
[tex]2\pi r[/tex] thus in two dimensions the energy radiated falls off as 1/r.

Similarly in one dimension we consider a "surface" (which is just two points) very far away whose "area" doesn't change with distance thus the energy radiated doesn't change with distance.

You can work out further cases in higher (non-physical) numbers of space dimensions...

Cheers.

That is very helpful. I never knew one could think of the relationship between power and raidus that way.

1. How is power related to radius in 2-D waves?

Power and radius in 2-D waves are inversely related. This means that as the radius of the wave increases, the power decreases. Similarly, as the radius decreases, the power increases.

2. What is the formula for calculating power in 2-D waves?

The formula for calculating power in 2-D waves is P = (1/4) * ρ * ω^2 * A^2 * r, where P is the power, ρ is the density of the medium, ω is the angular frequency, A is the amplitude of the wave, and r is the radius.

3. How does the density of the medium affect the power of a 2-D wave?

The density of the medium affects the power of a 2-D wave by directly influencing the amplitude of the wave. A higher density medium will result in a higher amplitude, and therefore, a higher power. Conversely, a lower density medium will result in a lower amplitude and a lower power.

4. Can the power of a 2-D wave be manipulated by changing the frequency?

Yes, the power of a 2-D wave can be manipulated by changing the frequency. This is because the power is directly proportional to the square of the frequency. Higher frequencies will result in a higher power, while lower frequencies will result in a lower power.

5. How does the power of a 2-D wave affect its intensity?

The power of a 2-D wave is directly related to its intensity. As the power increases, the intensity of the wave also increases. This is because intensity is defined as the power per unit area, so as the power increases, the same amount of power is spread over a smaller area, resulting in a higher intensity.