2-Dimension structure with highest shear strength

In summary, this is an experimental project looking for a lattice structure that has the highest shear strength.
gwiz
I am looking for any references about 2-dimensional lattice structures (ie hexagonal like graphine) that have the highest shear strength (or just resistance to distortion in the 2D plane). Does anybody have any good references for this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
My first guess would be a mesh of equilateral triangles. But I think it will depend on the boundary conditions of the 2D sheet. A square grid at 45° to two opposite edges would efficiently resist shear if the direction of the shear was always in the same predictable direction.
A more sparse grid might be a mix of two polygons, say triangles and squares, or hexagons and pentagons arranged in the pattern that a lava flow cracks as it cools. That will cover an area with minimum material.

What are the boundary conditions? What is the scale? Why consider only the 2D solution?

You might consider a two layer structure such as an octet truss which would be less likely to buckle along compressive axes.
http://www.virginia.edu/ms/research/wadley/Documents/Publications/Shear_Response_Carbon_Fiber.pdf

I working on something similar to a laminar flow gate , just very thin relative to the size of the part (~6 in x 12in x 0.2 in). The interior mesh walls are also very thin ~0.010". I'm looking for an optimal lattice structure that could give the best structural integrity, especially against twisting/shearing. Lattice size and shape (square, triangle, hexagon, etc.) are flexible. I also think a mesh of equilateral triangles would be optimal, but am curious if there is anything to back this up.

Unfortunately, I can't use any cool two layer structures. It's got to have straight through-passages.

What forces are acting on the sheet ? Is this something that you are going to manufacture ? Is the material actually graphene or is it something else ?

The more you tell us the better the answers that you will get .

1. What is a 2-Dimension structure with the highest shear strength?

A 2-Dimension structure with the highest shear strength refers to a material or object that has the ability to resist shear forces in a two-dimensional plane. Shear strength is the maximum amount of force that a material can withstand before it starts to deform or break due to shear stress.

2. How is the shear strength of a 2-Dimension structure measured?

The shear strength of a 2-Dimension structure is typically measured by conducting a shear test, where a force is applied parallel to the surface of the material. The maximum force that the material can withstand before failure is then recorded as the shear strength.

3. What factors affect the shear strength of a 2-Dimension structure?

The shear strength of a 2-Dimension structure can be affected by various factors, including the type and properties of the material, the size and shape of the structure, the temperature and humidity, and any external forces or loads applied.

4. What are some examples of 2-Dimension structures with high shear strength?

Some examples of 2-Dimension structures with high shear strength include carbon fiber composites, steel plates, and laminated materials such as plywood. These materials have been designed and engineered to have a high resistance to shear forces.

5. How can the shear strength of a 2-Dimension structure be improved?

The shear strength of a 2-Dimension structure can be improved through various methods, such as using stronger and more durable materials, increasing the thickness or number of layers in the structure, and implementing design modifications to distribute forces more evenly. Additionally, proper maintenance and regular inspections can also help to ensure the longevity and strength of a 2-Dimension structure.