1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 mass and veloc type physx problems

1. Mar 8, 2010 #1
    Ive got two problems that are driving me crazy
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

3. A 200 g hockey puck is launched up a metal ramp that is inclined at a 30° angle. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction between the hockey puck and the metal ramp are μs = 0.40 and μk = 0.30, respectively. The puck's initial speed is 96 m/s. What vertical height does the puck reach above its starting point?

4. The figure shows a 100 kg block being released from rest from a height of 1.0 m. It then takes 0.76 s to reach the floor. What is the mass of the block on the left?

(attached pic)

2. Relevant equations

f=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

i dont really have an attempt just a bunch of notes and calculations but i dont know how to bring it together
    N=9.8*200sin(300) => 980n
    well im looking over it and dont have anything more than that i cant even tell what i was doing before. PLEASE help

Attached Files:

• 1.bmp
      1.bmp
      File size:
      86.1 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2010 #2
    Without an attempt, there's not much anyone can do to really help. I can tell you that for the second question, draw a free body diagram for each of the blocks, and since it is a taut string, the tensions T will be the same. Then use Fnet = ma, having found a using some basic 1 dimensional equations, and solve for m.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook