Understanding 2nd Order Correlation in Fock States and Density Functions

• Thread starter babylonia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Correlation
In summary, the conversation discusses the expression for the second order density correlation function for a system of Fock state. The last term in the expression is questioned and the application of Wick's theorem is discussed. It is mentioned that for bosons, the Wick theorem leads to a different result. However, for a general superposition of permanents, no such relation holds and the two-body reduced density matrix cannot be reduced to anything less than a two-body density matrix. Other relations may need to be applied to fully understand the expression.
babylonia
Hi all,

I read on some paper that for a system of Fock state |...nk...>, and with the field operator expanded as
[tex]\Psi[/tex](r)=[tex]\sum[/tex]ak [tex]\phi[/tex]k(r), the second order density correlation function can be expressed as
G(2)=<[tex]\Psi[/tex]+(r)[tex]\Psi[/tex]+(r')[tex]\Psi[/tex](r')[tex]\Psi[/tex](r)>=<n(r)><n(r')>+|<[tex]\Psi[/tex](r)+[tex]\Psi[/tex](r')>|2-[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{N}_{k}[/tex] nk ( nk +1) |[tex]\phi[/tex]*(r)|2|[tex]\phi[/tex](r')|2.
I have no idea how the last term, ie. the term after the minus sign, come out? If I use the Wick's theorem for
<a+ka+laman>=<a+kam><a+lan>[tex]\delta[/tex]k,m[tex]\delta[/tex]l,n+<a+kan><a+lam>[tex]\delta[/tex]k,n[tex]\delta[/tex]l,m,
so why in the 2nd correlation there are additional terms after '-'?

This seems really strange, can anybody help me? Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check your formula for the correlation function, but your Wick theorem looks wrong to me. You have a two-body density matrix on the left and on the right you have only one-body density matrices. Did you apply a relation like
[tex]\langle a^+_k a_m a^+_l a_n\rangle = \langle a^+_k a_m\rangle\langle a^+_l a_n\rangle?[/tex]
Because such a relation does generally *not* hold.

cgk said:
I didn't check your formula for the correlation function, but your Wick theorem looks wrong to me. You have a two-body density matrix on the left and on the right you have only one-body density matrices. Did you apply a relation like
[tex]\langle a^+_k a_m a^+_l a_n\rangle = \langle a^+_k a_m\rangle\langle a^+_l a_n\rangle?[/tex]
Because such a relation does generally *not* hold.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I think for Fock state the Wick theorem leads to [tex]\langle a^+_k a^+_l a_m a_n\rangle = \langle a^+_k a_m\rangle\langle a^+_l a_n\rangle \delta_{k,m}\delta_{l,n}+\langle a^+_k a_n\rangle\langle a^+_l a_m\rangle\delta_{k,n}\delta_{l,m}[/tex], because particle number conservation requires the other terms in the full expression given by wick theorem to vanish. And sorry I forgot to mention that my problem is for bosons. If this is wrong, why, and what is the correct form?

Thanks

babylonia said:
I think for Fock state the Wick theorem leads to [tex]\langle a^+_k a^+_l a_m a_n\rangle = \langle a^+_k a_m\rangle\langle a^+_l a_n\rangle \delta_{k,m}\delta_{l,n}+\langle a^+_k a_n\rangle\langle a^+_l a_m\rangle\delta_{k,n}\delta_{l,m}[/tex], because particle number conservation requires the other terms in the full expression given by wick theorem to vanish. And sorry I forgot to mention that my problem is for bosons. If this is wrong, why, and what is the correct form?
Sorry, I might have misunderstood your post: By "In Fock Space", do you mean for a single permanent[1] (or for some mean field approximation?)? Because for a general superposition of permanents no such relation holds, and the two-body reduced density matrix [tex]\langle a^+_k a^+_l a_m a_n\rangle[/tex] in general cannot be reduced to anything which is itself less than a two-body (mixed) density matrix. So by applying (only) the Wick theorem, you could have, for example, something like [2]
[tex]\langle a^+_k a^+_l a_m a_n\rangle = \langle a^+_k a_m a^+_l a_n\rangle + \delta_{ml} \langle a^+_k a_n\rangle[/tex]
but that still has a two-body density matrix in it and is still far from your expression for G. You might need to apply some other relations, too.

[1] that's the positive-symmetry version of a determinant
[2] how exactly the Wick theorem looks depends on whether there is a normal order imposed on the operators, and if it is, which reference it applies to.

FAQ: Understanding 2nd Order Correlation in Fock States and Density Functions

1. What is the significance of 2nd order correlation in Fock states?

The 2nd order correlation in Fock states refers to the probability of finding two particles in the same state at the same time. It plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of quantum systems, as it helps determine the likelihood of interactions between particles and their resulting outcomes.

2. How does 2nd order correlation affect the density function of a system?

The 2nd order correlation affects the density function of a system by influencing the distribution of particles in different energy states. It helps determine the probability of finding a particle in a particular state, and how this probability changes when another particle is present in the system.

3. What is the difference between 2nd order correlation in bosonic and fermionic systems?

In bosonic systems, particles can occupy the same state at the same time, resulting in a positive 2nd order correlation. In fermionic systems, on the other hand, particles cannot occupy the same state simultaneously, leading to a negative 2nd order correlation.

4. How can 2nd order correlation be experimentally measured?

2nd order correlation can be measured by observing the intensity of photons emitted from a system. If the intensity is higher than expected, it indicates a positive 2nd order correlation, while a lower intensity indicates a negative 2nd order correlation.

5. How does understanding 2nd order correlation contribute to the development of quantum technologies?

Understanding 2nd order correlation is crucial in the development of quantum technologies, such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography. It helps in controlling the interactions between particles and manipulating their states, leading to more efficient and accurate quantum processes.

Back