2 Plane mirror problems. no numbers

In summary, a person needs a mirror that is at least two times their height in order to see their entire reflection. The magnification is 1 if the mirror is the correct distance from the person.
phillyj

Homework Statement

#1) How many images can be seen? 2 mirrors, one on x axis, other y axis.
mirrorquestion.jpg

Homework Equations

Law of reflection: [tex]\vartheta[/tex]i=[tex]\vartheta[/tex]r

Is the positioning correct? I thought that rays bounce off the x-axis mirror then y-axis mirror to give 2 images. The third image came from bouncing off the y-axis mirror only. The teacher wanted us to work it out and told us that the answer is 3 but we had to find the position.

Homework Statement

#2) Whats the minimum length(h) of a mirror that is needed for a person of height(H) to see his entire reflection? Answer: h=H/2

Homework Equations

|m|= |H/h| <= magnification equation needed?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to start. Professor said that the distance between the person and mirror doesn't matter. Someone point me in right direction

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Position of image 2 in not correct. Its distance from the axis should be equal to the remaining two images.
2) Draw ray diagram, one from eye and other from foot. Note down the portion of mirror to see the full image.

1) Ok, but my reasoning is correct?
2) I'm not sure how to draw from eye.
mirrorquestion2.jpg

1) Yes.
2) Draw the ray from head to eye.

2) from top of the head to the eye? the angle of reflection would be very very small? I still can't get this part

When you want to your full image, you must see your head and toe. If you want you can take a normal ray from your eye. After reflection it returns back to your eye.

for plane mirrors, isn't the virtual image equal size to the actual image? Magnification=+1

So why is the height of the mirror H/2?

Size of the image does not depend on the size of the mirror. Even in a small mirror you can see your full face.

ok, but when I try drawing it, my virtual image is the same size as the actual. Was the partial drawing that I made above correct? I still can't understand how to draw ray from top of head to the eye.

You know of any websites that could help?

1. How does a plane mirror create an image?

A plane mirror creates an image by reflecting light rays that strike its surface. The image appears to be behind the mirror, at the same distance as the object in front of the mirror.

2. What is the difference between a real and virtual image in a plane mirror?

A real image can be projected onto a screen and is formed when the light rays actually converge at a point. A virtual image cannot be projected and is formed when the light rays appear to be coming from a point behind the mirror.

3. Can a plane mirror form a magnified image?

No, a plane mirror always forms an image that is the same size as the object. It only changes the direction of the light, not the size of the image.

4. How can I determine the location of the image in a plane mirror?

The location of the image in a plane mirror can be determined using the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. The image will appear to be the same distance behind the mirror as the object is in front of the mirror.

5. Can multiple plane mirrors be used to create multiple reflections?

Yes, multiple plane mirrors can be used to create multiple reflections. This is known as a mirror maze and is achieved by placing the mirrors at various angles to create a repeating pattern of reflections.