Exploring Gravity: 2 Questions

• Thread starter benzun_1999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses two questions: whether it is possible to create and control gravity, and the explanation of Newton's third law. It is concluded that at present, we cannot create or control gravity. The modern version of Newton's third law is conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a group of bodies remains conserved unless acted upon by an external force. There is also mention of research on antigravity and the understanding of the term "action" in relation to the law. Overall, the conversation delves into the concepts of gravity and Newton's third law, providing explanations and clarifications.
benzun_1999
2 questions...

I have two questions

Is it possible create gravity on our own(i mean controlling it)

Can anyone explain me the Newtonsthird law properly?

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot push an object without feeling the effect of doing so yourself. Laymen call it common sense. Scientists call it Newtons 3rd law.

Last edited:
No, we cannot, at present, create or control gravity.

As for the future, "hypothesen non fengo".

To control gravity. Would be mindblowing. The concept would help so much with labor on planet earth.

I know about the 3rd law very well ie "every action has equal and opposite reaction which is equal in magnitude but different in direction and act on different body"
but i don't understand the term "action"
Did Newton mean Force or energy?

Now comming to the second question. We know that everything(force,particle etc) has an anti. Does Gravity have one?

Newton wrote before some of these concepts were clarified. The modern version of Newton's third is conservation of momentum.

Some particles are their own antiparticles, for example the photon. I believe the graviton, which is still hypothetical, is one of those too.

Thanks

I am aware of the the law of conservation of momentum.

Wait i don't get it.

The law of conservation of momentum says this
"The total momuntum on a group of bodies remains conserved provided there is no externat force acting on it."

It is not telling about the action and reaction

It isjust telling that both total up to same before and after.

About gravity...

I heard that there are researches going on to find antigravity and some are succesful.

If there were not a reactionary force, then the momentum could not possibly be conserved. "Equal and opposite" is just perfect in order to ensure conservation of momentum.

cookiemonster

The old wrod for "action" means the same as the current word for "impulse." Impulse is defined as the change in momentum. So if two objects collide (call them object A and object B) and they bounce off each other, then the change in momentum of object A will be equal in magnitude to the change in momentum of object B, though opposite in direction. THis is essentially the law of conservation of momentum.

Since impulse is equal to the change in momentum, and impulse can be calculated as the applied force multiplied by the time through which the force is applied (impulse = Ft), you can see that since A cannot touch B for a different amount of time than B touches A, the forces on each otehr also must be the same.

So the modern statement of Newton's 3rd Law is sometimes stated as "If one object exerts a force on a second object, then the second object exerts a force equal in magnitude but opposite in direction on the first object."

THis is the customary "high school" definition; the better definition incorporates the conservation of momentum. Either way the use of the word "action" is arcane and inappropriate.

thanks

What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to be attracted to each other. It is responsible for keeping the planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away.

How does gravity work?

Gravity works by creating a force between two objects with mass. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger the force of gravity it exerts. This force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects, meaning the farther apart they are, the weaker the force of gravity.

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is the measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, but weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational force. On Earth, mass and weight are often used interchangeably, but in space, where gravity is weaker, an object's weight would be different than its mass.

Why do objects fall towards the ground?

Objects fall towards the ground because of the force of gravity. The Earth's mass creates a gravitational force that pulls objects towards its center. This force is what causes objects to accelerate towards the ground when dropped or thrown.

How does gravity affect the motion of planets?

Gravity is the force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun. The sun's massive gravitational pull keeps the planets in their elliptical paths. Additionally, the gravity of planets and other celestial bodies can affect each other's orbits, leading to phenomena such as tidal forces and gravitational assist maneuvers.