2 story problems for algebra 2/trig

• Thread starter shemer77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary: No. You made a sign error. You want for #2, y^2-30y+209=0, then you are ready to finish the solution.thanks, what about number 1?Well do you understand what hallsofivy said? From the quadratic you concluded that the solution is x=1 and x=4. Do you know what these numbers actually represent physically for the ball in motion?
shemer77

Homework Statement

1) A ball is thrown straight up with an initial velocity of 80 ft/s. Using the formula h=-16t^2 + 80t, determine the interval of time in which the ball is at least 64 feet above the ground?
2) The perimeter of a rectangular garden is 60ft. The area of the garden is 209 ft^2. Set up and solve a quadratic equation to determine the dimensions of the garden

For number 1 do i just do 64=-16t^2 + 80t?

Physics news on Phys.org
Those are fun problems. Neither of them rely on Trigonometry (referring to "algebr 2/trig" in your subject name). Your #2 needs two variables, maybe like x and y for the two dimensions of the reactangle. x+x+y+y=60 and x*y=209. DO IT!

shemer77 said:

Homework Statement

1) A ball is thrown straight up with an initial velocity of 80 ft/s. Using the formula h=-16t^2 + 80t, determine the interval of time in which the ball is at least 64 feet above the ground?
2) The perimeter of a rectangular garden is 60ft. The area of the garden is 209 ft^2. Set up and solve a quadratic equation to determine the dimensions of the garden

For number 1 do i just do 64=-16t^2 + 80t?
That's the first step. Of course, since that is a quadratic equation you can expect to get 2 solutions- and the problem asks for the "interval of time in which the ball is at least 64 feet above the ground". What do the two solutions to that quadratic equation represent physically?

1) I got 4 and 1, how is that possible?
2)I got y^2-30y-209=0 as my quadratic equation is that right?

shemer77 said:
1) I got 4 and 1, how is that possible?
2)I got y^2-30y-209=0 as my quadratic equation is that right?

No. You made a sign error. You want for #2, y^2-30y+209=0,
Then you are ready to finish the solution.

thanks, what about number 1?

Well do you understand what hallsofivy said? From the quadratic you concluded that the solution is x=1 and x=4. Do you know what these numbers actually represent physically for the ball in motion?

1. What is a 2 story problem for algebra 2/trig?

A 2 story problem for algebra 2/trig is a mathematical problem that involves two different parts or scenarios, usually with different variables, that need to be solved using algebra 2 and trigonometry concepts.

2. How do I approach solving a 2 story problem for algebra 2/trig?

To solve a 2 story problem for algebra 2/trig, it is important to first identify the two parts of the problem and the variables involved in each part. Then, use algebraic equations and trigonometric functions to set up and solve the problem.

3. Can you give an example of a 2 story problem for algebra 2/trig?

Sure, here's an example: A ladder is leaning against a wall at a 60 degree angle. The base of the ladder is 10 feet away from the wall. The ladder is then extended by 5 feet and the angle between the ladder and the wall decreases to 45 degrees. Find the length of the ladder. This problem involves two parts - the original position of the ladder and the extended position - and uses trigonometric ratios and equations to solve for the length of the ladder.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving 2 story problems for algebra 2/trig?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving 2 story problems for algebra 2/trig include not identifying the two parts of the problem correctly, using incorrect algebraic equations or trigonometric functions, and not considering all given information in the problem.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving 2 story problems for algebra 2/trig?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving 2 story problems for algebra 2/trig. You can also review and understand the fundamental concepts of algebra 2 and trigonometry, and familiarize yourself with common 2 story problem scenarios and their corresponding solution methods.