Application of quadratic function in kinematics

In summary, the given function h(t) = -16t^2 + 80t represents the height of a golf ball above the ground in feet, where t is the time in seconds since the ball was hit. Evaluating h(4) will give the height of the golf ball at 4 seconds after being struck. The maximum height reached by the ball during the shot is 100 feet, and it occurs at 2.5 seconds. There are multiple ways to find the maximum, including factoring, finding the axis of symmetry, and writing the function in vertex form.
drop
Basically I don't know anyone in real life that can help me with this, so I need help checking to see if my answers are correct :)

Part B

1) A golfer hits a nice iron shot and the ball's height above the ground is given by h(t) = -16t^2 + 80t, where t is the time in seconds since the ball was hit.

a) Evaluate h(4)

My Answer: 64

b) Explain the meaning of evaluating h(4) in the context of the problem.

My Answer: Evaluating h(4) will find the height in feet of the golf ball when it is 4 seconds after being struck by the golfer.

c) Determine the max height the golf ball reaches during the shot

My Answer: 100 feet

d) Determine the time, t, when the maximum occurs.

My Answer: 2.5 seconds

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Please check my answers - 7

All correct.

As far as the maximum is concerned, there are several ways we can do this, and this doesn't even include using the calculus! :D

We know this parabola opens down, as the leading coefficient is negative. Thus, its global maximum will be at the vertex.

i) Factor:

\(\displaystyle h(t)=80t-16t^2=16t(5-t)\)

We see the roots are at \(\displaystyle t=0,\,5\) and so the axis of symmetry, that value of $t$ on which the vertex lies, must be midway between the roots:

\(\displaystyle t=\frac{0+5}{2}=\frac{5}{2}\)

\(\displaystyle h\left(\frac{5}{2} \right)=16\cdot\frac{5}{2}\left(5-\frac{5}{2} \right)=(2\cdot5)^2=100\)

ii) Find the axis of symmetry without using the roots:

A quadratic of the form \(\displaystyle y=ax^2+bx+c\) will have an axis of symmetry given by:

\(\displaystyle x=-\frac{b}{2a}\)

and so for the given function, we find the axis of symmetry is:

\(\displaystyle t=-\frac{80}{2(-16)}=\frac{5}{2}\)

Finding the value of the function at this value of $t$ is the same as above.

iii) Write the function in vertex form:

Completing the square, we find:

\(\displaystyle h(t)=-16t^2+80t=-16\left(t^2-5t+\left(\frac{5}{2} \right)^2 \right)+16\left(\frac{5}{2} \right)^2=-16\left(t-\frac{5}{2} \right)^2+100\)

And so we find the vertex is at \(\displaystyle \left(\frac{5}{2},100 \right)\)

1. How is the quadratic function used in kinematics?

The quadratic function is used in kinematics to model the motion of an object in a straight line with constant acceleration. It helps to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object at any given time.

2. What is the equation for a quadratic function in kinematics?

The equation for a quadratic function in kinematics is s(t) = s0 + v0t + 1/2at2, where s(t) is the position of the object at time t, s0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is time.

3. How does the quadratic function relate to the motion of an object?

The quadratic function relates to the motion of an object by describing the relationship between the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object as it moves along a straight line. It helps to analyze and predict the motion of the object.

4. Can the quadratic function be used for non-constant acceleration?

Yes, the quadratic function can also be used to model the motion of an object with non-constant acceleration. In this case, the acceleration (a) in the equation is replaced with the instantaneous acceleration at a specific time.

5. How is the vertex of a quadratic function in kinematics related to the motion of an object?

The vertex of a quadratic function in kinematics represents the maximum or minimum position of the object. The x-coordinate of the vertex gives the time at which the object reaches its maximum or minimum position, while the y-coordinate gives the maximum or minimum position itself.