1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 Things: Work-Energy theorem and parabolic trajectories.

1. Oct 5, 2005 #1
    Hi,

When reading through the work-energy thread, i just got reminded of something bugging me for quite a while. I don't think this is mentioned in the work-energy thread, firstly, how can we show that,

[tex] \int f \bullet ds = \Delta E [/tex]

also,

I've heard that there's a way to show that when only one force acts on a particle or something, the particle follows a parabolic trajectory. Is there a way to show this?

thanks....

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If there is a constant (non-zero) force acting on something, it follows a parabolic trajectory. That's because, taking the x-axis perpendicular to the constant force, integrating a constant twice (from [itex]\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}= \frac{F}{m}[/itex] to [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}= \frac{F}{m}t+ v_0[/itex] to [itex]y= \fra{F}{2m}t^2+ v_0t+ y_0[/tex]) we get a quadratic in t while x, with 0 acceleration, is linear in t.

(There's always "only one force" on something- the net force.)

4. Oct 5, 2005 #3
    ohhhh ok, that helped alot, thanks..

Anyone with the work question?

5. Oct 5, 2005 #4

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

You can't derive the work formula, as it is a definition. You can, however justify why the definition is a good one with a little bit of logical reasoning.

Claude.

6. Oct 6, 2005 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

But you can certainly derive the Work-Energy theorem. Taking the simplest case, where the direction of the net force remains fixed:
    [tex] \int f \bullet ds = \int m a \bullet ds = m \int \frac{dv_s}{dt} ds = m \int v_s \ dv_s = \Delta (1/2 m v_s^2) [/tex]

7. Oct 7, 2005 #6
    oh ok thanks, that's what i'm looking for.

: )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook