Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 Things: Work-Energy theorem and parabolic trajectories.

1. Oct 5, 2005 #1
    Hi,

When reading through the work-energy thread, i just got reminded of something bugging me for quite a while. I don't think this is mentioned in the work-energy thread, firstly, how can we show that,

[tex] \int f \bullet ds = \Delta E [/tex]

also,

I've heard that there's a way to show that when only one force acts on a particle or something, the particle follows a parabolic trajectory. Is there a way to show this?

thanks....

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If there is a constant (non-zero) force acting on something, it follows a parabolic trajectory. That's because, taking the x-axis perpendicular to the constant force, integrating a constant twice (from [itex]\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}= \frac{F}{m}[/itex] to [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}= \frac{F}{m}t+ v_0[/itex] to [itex]y= \fra{F}{2m}t^2+ v_0t+ y_0[/tex]) we get a quadratic in t while x, with 0 acceleration, is linear in t.

(There's always "only one force" on something- the net force.)

4. Oct 5, 2005 #3
    ohhhh ok, that helped alot, thanks..

Anyone with the work question?

5. Oct 5, 2005 #4

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

You can't derive the work formula, as it is a definition. You can, however justify why the definition is a good one with a little bit of logical reasoning.

Claude.

6. Oct 6, 2005 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

But you can certainly derive the Work-Energy theorem. Taking the simplest case, where the direction of the net force remains fixed:
    [tex] \int f \bullet ds = \int m a \bullet ds = m \int \frac{dv_s}{dt} ds = m \int v_s \ dv_s = \Delta (1/2 m v_s^2) [/tex]

7. Oct 7, 2005 #6
    oh ok thanks, that's what i'm looking for.

: )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?