20 best paying jobs in the US

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
adrenaline
Science Advisor
True. It's not to say that wage discrimination doesn't exist. It does but perhaps to a lesser extent than previously thought. The article does point to the confounding factors that are not clearly delinated when the numbers are crunched to show the pay discrepancy. I do know in the health field, male nurses , on average, have a higher salary than females, and there are no differences in hours worked.

Last edited:
Njorl
Science Advisor
I find nurses to be one of the most confusing employment situations around. There is a nursing shortage, but hospitals do whatever they can to keep nurses wages down. They lay off experienced nurses to hire cheap ones, then lose fortunes in malpractice suits because of incorrect medication administered by overworked and undertrained nurses. Nurses need to go on a good-old-fashioned scab-beating, tire-slashing, nationwide strike.

Njorl

Originally posted by Monique
? why do women make less money ?
We can spend countless hours discussing:
The historical roles of women in society...
The formation of Patriarchal society...
The fact that the concept of equal rights for women is still relatively young and muddling ahead to break outdated stereotypes and concepts...
The evolutionary/biological aspect of men being (on the whole) more agressive, competitive and physically strong due to testosterone etc...
The common view (though slowly decreasing) that men are better/more suited/more productive (etc) than women at this job or that one...
The concept that, in America, women joined the work-force (as a common occurrence) during WWII in economically depressed times setting a precedent...
The idea that, historically, women HAD to take less money if they wanted a job otherwise the company would have just hired a man....
The imbalanced social construct of men NEEDING more money because they are traditionally the "bread-winners" and supporting their families...
Blah blah blah...
No one will ever agree fully WHY it happened...

Or we can look at the simple answer:
Because it is possible.

If the company can get away with paying women less money to do the same job, they will.
That is not only the result, but the aim of a capitalist system.
"Do what you can to make more money."
It all comes down to the "bottom line".
If women are willing to take jobs that pay less, then they will be paid less.
I know it is not quite that simple, because sometimes it is a survival necessity to take a job that pays less than it "should".
But it really does dome down to that simple fact.
Employers pay women less because employers can pay women less.

Originally posted by Njorl
I find nurses to be one of the most confusing employment situations around. There is a nursing shortage, but hospitals do whatever they can to keep nurses wages down. They lay off experienced nurses to hire cheap ones, then lose fortunes in malpractice suits because of incorrect medication administered by overworked and undertrained nurses. Nurses need to go on a good-old-fashioned scab-beating, tire-slashing, nationwide strike.

Ever spoken to a teacher in the public school system?

Originally posted by one_raven
We can spend countless hours discussing:
The historical roles of women in society...
The formation of Patriarchal society...
The fact that the concept of equal rights for women is still relatively young and muddling ahead to break outdated stereotypes and concepts...
The evolutionary/biological aspect of men being (on the whole) more agressive, competitive and physically strong due to testosterone etc...
The common view (though slowly decreasing) that men are better/more suited/more productive (etc) than women at this job or that one...
The concept that, in America, women joined the work-force (as a common occurrence) during WWII in economically depressed times setting a precedent...
The idea that, historically, women HAD to take less money if they wanted a job otherwise the company would have just hired a man....
The imbalanced social construct of men NEEDING more money because they are traditionally the "bread-winners" and supporting their families...
Blah blah blah...
No one will ever agree fully WHY it happened...

Or we can look at the simple answer:
Because it is possible.

If the company can get away with paying women less money to do the same job, they will.
That is not only the result, but the aim of a capitalist system.
"Do what you can to make more money."
It all comes down to the "bottom line".
If women are willing to take jobs that pay less, then they will be paid less.
I know it is not quite that simple, because sometimes it is a survival necessity to take a job that pays less than it "should".
But it really does dome down to that simple fact.
Employers pay women less because employers can pay women less.

Consider also the social differences between men and women. Women tend to have children and raise them. Once you get past a certain level, extra hours tend to be required and expected. midlevel management and above can't be realistic about a 9-5 job. The workplace is just too competitive. If there is a salary difference at higher levels, it is due to the requirements of the job. It is the perception that if a woman has a family, she can't commit the time and energy that a lot of single men, or even men with stay at home wives to take care of the kids can. Is this necessarily fair? Yes and no. It could be argued that regardless of sex, if you're unwilling or unable to make the same commitment to a job as a man is, then you loose out. I interact with executives on a daily basis, and yes, there are women in the ranks. 90 percent are single. The rest have children who are older, or stay at home husbands to take care of the kids. If there's a board meeting at 5pm, and you have to leave to pick up the kids from day care, or take little suzie to band practice, you are at a disadvantage. That is why there there is a disparity. Is it fair to penalize someone with a family? Not necessarily, but the needs of the business at most companies come before the personal needs of the individual. When there is a conflict, the needs of the business come first.

This is obviously just one factor among many, and I'm sure if a woman is the most qualified for a position, exceptions are made,but that's the stark reality of it. At some point you have to make a choice between your career and a family. That is why there are so many single, childless women in high level positions.

In the UK, and many other countries, there is an Equal Pay act that makes it illegal to pay women less. Therefore arguments about 'paying women less' aren't anything at all to do with outright discrimination. It is, as Zantra says, more to do with other factors.

I chose to go into teaching, when my daughter was born so that I could have a good (and enjoyable) career, but more importantly, I wanted time with my daughter. My wife is the 'career first' type of woman who loves the cut and thrust of senior management and is determined to climb 'the slippery pole'.
In my job, all teachers, male and female or on the same salary scale, and there is NO discrimination whatsoever. I earn far less than my wife however, and her salary is far better than some in her line of business, but not as good as others. Being Male or Female is not a factor for her either - it is truly a matter of how talented you are, and how much time you are prepared to dedicate to the job.

Lower pay for women is more a reflection of lifestyle choices they make.
I chose family over job, and hence earn far less than other male friends with similar qualifications and skills.

'Society' or 'discrimination' is not to blame for my so called 'predicament'!!!!

Njorl
Science Advisor
Originally posted by one_raven
Ever spoken to a teacher in the public school system?

Quite often. I am a proud product of the Philadelphia public school system. At my lab, we often employ high school students in a program to give them experience, and I meet many public high school physics teachers. I must say, they are doing a fantastic job. The students I meet are dedicated, enthusiastic and very well taught. I still find it hard to believe how many of them have already completed partial differential equations course before graduating.

The places I've lived have actually had pretty good teacher compensation. I realize they are the exception, not the norm though. Back in the '80's I considered quitting my job as a physicist to go into teaching - for the increase in pay. I'm glad I didn't.

Njorl

adrenaline
Science Advisor
Originally posted by Adrian Baker

I chose to go into teaching, when my daughter was born so that I could have a good (and enjoyable) career, but more importantly, I wanted time with my daughter.

Wow! My husband gave up his career as a controls engineer and is now a full time "domestic engineer" for our two year old daughter. It was the only way I could continue my full time work and teaching. Your wife and I are lucky women! It is unfortunate that most people don't realize that the hardest and most important job in the world is still being a parent.

*All data for calendar-year 2000.

Yes that is definetly out of date. Just last year i was looking in one of those yearly published books and it said top 16% of astrophysicists/ physicists make over $106,000 and the rest average around 90,000 i believe. Pharmacist should also be on that list. The starting salary is currently around 80,000/85,000 (out of college) and i have a pharmacist in the family that makes well over 90,000 a year...but he has done it for over 20 years

Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A very good paying job has been totally left off the lists. I am making neary $90k/yr as a High Tech industry Technician. For the most part my peers have a 2yr Technical degree, so as far as bang for the buck there are few better degrees to be had. There are a few women, and a few non-Caucausian techs, for the most part we are male white, why? It seems to me that that the hiring practices actually favor non male non white but the pool of qualified people is small and fewer still are not white males, why?

I do not know, it is execellent work, stimulating, and challenging, generally not dirty, with some need to deal with hazardoud materials. I do have to work long hours (get Overtime, which is a substancial portion of my income) and I work graveyard shift, the tools must be kept running.

You need an analytic mind and wide range of technical skills, electronics, electo-mechanical, and pneumatic to hit the main ones these all must be combined with troubleshooting skills.

But look at the pay.

Almost several years back, when I was deciding what career to take, medicine was one of my considerations. High wages and an apparently 'recession proof' career were the selling points of that profession.

It would seem that those figures did not take into account malpractice insurance premiums or the possibility of getting infected by something your patients are carrying. Ungrateful patients would really make my day too.

IIRC psychiatrists also have the highest suicide rates amongst doctors. Pretty ironic.

http://editorial.careers.msn.com/articles/highestpay/ [Broken]

doctors, doctors, doctors..

1. Surgeons
$65.89/hr
$137,050/yr

2. Obstetricians and gynecologists
$64.15/hr
$133,430/yr

3. Anesthesiologists
$63.31/hr
$131,680/yr

4. Internists, general
$61.03/hr
$126,940/yr

5. Pediatricians, general
$56.03/hr
$116,550/yr

6. Psychiatrists
$54.60/hr
$113,570/yr

7. Family and general practitioners
$52.89/hr
$110,020/yr

8. Dentists
$53.28/hr
$110,820/yr

9. Chief Executives
$51.77/hr
$107,670/yr

10. Airline pilots, copilots and flight engineers
(N/A)
$99,400/yr

11. Podiatrists
$45.43/hr
$94,500/yr

12. Lawyers
$44.19/hr
$91,920/yr

13. Optometrists
$42.35/hr
$88,100/yr

14. Computer and information systems managers
$40.33/hr
$83,890/yr

15. Physicists
$40.26/hr
$83,750/yr

16. Air traffic controllers
$40.07/hr
$83,350/yr

17. Petroleum Engineers
$39.33/hr
$81,800/yr

18. Nuclear Engineers
$38.56/hr
$80,200/yr

19. Judges, magistrate judges, and magistrates
$38.24/hr
$79,540/yr

20. Marketing Managers
$37.70/hr
$78,410/yr

when u say physicists, what do you mean? people who work for companies such as CERN?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics pays well. But which part of physics?

http://editorial.careers.msn.com/articles/highestpay/ [Broken]

doctors, doctors, doctors..
Monique, do you have any information on the average working week of those professions ? I mean, i have a brother who is about to become a radiologist. In addition to that, i have some friends that are specializing to become surgeon. Now, in Belgium, surgeons earn up to 10000-15000 euro's a month (after taxes and working in a bigger hospital) BUT they do have 70-80 hours working weeks !

So, not only the yearly income counts, also the amount of hours you have to work to earn those amounts plays an important role in those statistics !

marlon

edit : i work in the second biggest bank of Belgium. Now, people on the highest level do earn loads and loads of money (10000-20000 euro's per month after taxes, without the benefits likes shares and stuff) but they have incredible working week schedules. Than, you have people earning 3000 euro's after taxes. But they work from 9 to 5 pm. So, who is the richest ?

Monique, do you have any information on the average working week of those professions ? I mean, i have a brother who is about to become a radiologist. In addition to that, i have some friends that are specializing to become surgeon. Now, in Belgium, surgeons earn up to 10000-15000 euro's a month (after taxes and working in a bigger hospital) BUT they do have 70-80 hours working weeks !

So, not only the yearly income counts, also the amount of hours you have to work to earn those amounts plays an important role in those statistics !

marlon

edit : i work in the second biggest bank of Belgium. Now, people on the highest level do earn loads and loads of money (10000-20000 euro's per month after taxes, without the benefits likes shares and stuff) but they have incredible working week schedules. Than, you have people earning 3000 euro's after taxes. But they work from 9 to 5 pm. So, who is the richest ?

thats true mate but the thing says 'physicists' and not 'physicians'

What the hell do you mean ? I am just talking about doctors, for they ARE the top earners. One should not only look at dazzling figures but also at the dazzling working schedules. What on earth does this have to do with physicists or physicians ?

marlon

Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Note that all put the last half dozen posts in this thread are over 4yrs old.

What the hell do you mean ? I am just talking about doctors, for they ARE the top earners. One should not only look at dazzling figures but also at the dazzling working schedules. What on earth does this have to do with physicists or physicians ?

marlon

First of all calm down, relax have a drink.

Then, re read what i wrote. PHYSICISTS were listed as the top 14th best earners. So my questions was what does a physicist mean because a physicists can be working in any field from optics to nuclear etc etc. So my question was which field of phsics could earn you the top 14th position in the league table of the higest earners.

AND u started talking about doctors so i can ask u the same question, "What on earth does this have to do with physicists or physicians ?"

.......and finally, learn some manners.

First of all calm down, relax have a drink.

I am already drunk, so...

Then, re read what i wrote. PHYSICISTS were listed as the top 14th best earners. So my questions was what does a physicist mean because a physicists can be working in any field from optics to nuclear etc etc. So my question was which field of phsics could earn you the top 14th position in the league table of the higest earners.

You wrote :

Now, you say that you asked about which physics field ? I don't see that question in your last post. Maybe because i am drunk ?

Why am i talking about doctors ? Because they are THE top earners. That's all. Didn't you read the list ?

marlon

I am already drunk, so...

You wrote :

Now, you say that you asked about which physics field ? I don't see that question in your last post. Maybe because i am drunk ?

Why am i talking about doctors ? Because they are THE top earners. That's all. Didn't you read the list ?

marlon

With all due respect,

i dont understand y u even bother.

Let me repost what i have posted :

when u say physicists, what do you mean? people who work for companies such as CERN? was my question rite based on these statistics :

15. Physicists
$40.26/hr
$83,750/yr

So my question was/is that which part of physics can get a good job? And you started talking about medicine. How is medicine related to physics?

Evo
Mentor
This is a great site to look up salaries in the US. This is accurate and up to date.

This page is for "Software engineers", my friend makes $150,000 a year.

According to Robert Half Technology, starting salaries for software engineers in software development ranged from $66,500 to $99,750 in 2007

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos267.htm

Physicists and Astronomers

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos052.htm

Just click on the A-Z index at the top to look up whatever job title you want.

Anesthesiology over 1 year in specialty $321,686 annually. That's what the Evo child wants to be.

With all due respect,

i dont understand y u even bother.

Let me repost what i have posted :

when u say physicists, what do you mean? people who work for companies such as CERN? was my question rite based on these statistics :

15. Physicists
$40.26/hr
$83,750/yr

So my question was/is that which part of physics can get a good job? And you started talking about medicine. How is medicine related to physics?
:rofl:

But i NEVER talked about physicists in the first place. Quit turning things around, dude. All iever said was : doctors are indeed the top earners but one should also look at the heavy working schedules that those people have. That's all.

The YOU reacted to my post by saying : "thats true mate but the thing says 'physicists' and not 'physicians' "

So,

1) you ask me why i bother while it was YOU who first reacted to my post ?????
2) How does this answer of yours relate to ANYTHING i said in my post towards MONIQUE ?

Pfff,

marlon