2001 chevy 3500 pickup cant keep the compressor on

• Automotive
  • Thread starter wlr483
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compressor
In summary, the problem with the A/C compressor not kicking on in a 2001 Chevy 3500 pickup could be due to a shorted wire or a faulty A/C clutch relay. It is recommended to first test the relay and if it is functioning properly, check for any burnt wires in the wiring harness. Another possibility is a faulty sensor on the Vref line, which can affect multiple systems that use it. It is suggested to seek advice from a forum specifically for Chevy trucks for further assistance.
wlr483
i have a 2001 chevy 3500 pickup i can't get the a/c compressor to kick on i replace everything and checked fuse i can jump it and it wil works, but i need it done right does anyone know what it might be

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why would you ask the question in a mechanical engineering forum? Go ask the question to people who are familiar with your specific truck, like a Chevy trucks forum!

If I understand you correctly - and if you made sure every electrical components are OK -, it sounds like you have a shorted wire that blows up your fuse.

If that is the case - and with the spaghetti-like wiring harnesses of today making it difficult to find the faulty wire - usually the easiest solution is to bypass the defective circuit by disconnecting it and putting another wire.

Is there 12v at the compressor with ac on ? If not , assuming there is the proper level of 134a , I would look at the pressure switch

Jack Action has a good point ,,,but before by pass, did you test the A/C clutch relay? This is a 5 terminal switch located in the power control module...if it checks out ok, it is likely in the dash board AC switch...or you burnt a wire in the miles of wiring...ugggg

Anything else wrong with the car.

I believe the truck mentioned has a Vref line that supplies multiple sensors.

These sensors include the climate control system and are used to determine charge pressure, temperature, and air door position.

If any sensor on that line is compromised, it can affect anyone of the systems that use a sensor on that line.

1. Why does my 2001 Chevy 3500 pickup keep losing the ability to run the air compressor?

There could be several reasons for this issue. One possibility is that there is a leak in the air conditioning system, causing the refrigerant to escape and therefore preventing the compressor from functioning properly. Another potential cause could be a faulty compressor clutch or a problem with the electrical system that powers the compressor.

2. How can I tell if the compressor on my 2001 Chevy 3500 pickup is the problem?

If the air conditioning is not working at all, it is likely that the compressor is the issue. However, if the air is still blowing but not as cold as it should be, there may be a different problem with the system. It is recommended to have a professional mechanic diagnose the issue to determine the exact cause.

3. Can I fix the compressor on my 2001 Chevy 3500 pickup myself?

It depends on the extent of the issue. If it is a simple fix, such as replacing a blown fuse or tightening loose connections, it may be possible to fix the compressor yourself. However, if the problem is more complex, it is best to leave it to a professional mechanic who has the necessary tools and expertise to properly repair the compressor.

4. Will a faulty compressor on my 2001 Chevy 3500 pickup affect the overall performance of the vehicle?

The air compressor does not directly affect the performance of the vehicle, but it can impact the comfort and functionality of the air conditioning system. In extreme cases, a faulty compressor can cause other components of the air conditioning system to fail, leading to more expensive repairs.

5. How much does it cost to replace the compressor on a 2001 Chevy 3500 pickup?

The cost of replacing the compressor on a 2001 Chevy 3500 pickup can vary depending on the extent of the issue and the type of replacement compressor needed. On average, the cost can range from $500 to $1000 for parts and labor. It is important to get a quote from a trusted mechanic before proceeding with any repairs.