2012 disaster is solar activity

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of solar activity causing a disaster in 2012, specifically through the use of flares or coronal mass ejections that could damage electronics. The speakers mention having an old magneto powered generator that would not be affected, but question if there is a way to shield electronics from solar activity. They also mention the importance of industrial products being protected and suggest contacting manufacturers for more information on the level of protection in their products.
moejoe15
One of the things that is supposedly possibly happening as a 2012 disaster is solar activity like flares or coronal mass ejections. This is a good possibility even if it's all hysteria. These events can supposedly theoretically take out electronics. If this happened we would be hurting because everything has electronics these days.

We have an old magneto powered generator that would probably be completely unaffected by anything. But I also have a new Honda generator which I am sure is loaded with electronics.

The question is this: Is there a simple way to shield things from being fried by anything the sun can do? I know how to shield from magnetic fields, that's easy. But solar activity and maybe EMP? I want to know that no matter what happens I can run my generator and it wouldn't hurt to not have all the computers in my cars melt either.

I am not asking for anyone to refute the possibility of this happening, I want to prevent it regardless.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Yes, it is possible and although consumer products probably aren't being protected, industrial products I think for the most part, are being protected. The products I developed were all subjected to electrostatic testing. Base station transmitters and receivers naturally have to be designed to withstand lightning strikes.

After a product has been designed and sold, generally it's pretty difficult to add additional shielding. You might try to contact the manufacturer and try to find out how much protection there is. I used to work with an engineer who had a knack for getting to the design engineers of a product and getting them to answer key questions about the design.

What is the "2012 disaster" and how does it relate to solar activity?

The "2012 disaster" refers to a widespread belief that a major catastrophic event would occur in 2012, often linked to solar activity. This belief was based on the Mayan calendar and other theories, but there is no scientific evidence to support it. Solar activity, such as solar flares and coronal mass ejections, can have some impact on Earth but it is not significant enough to cause a global disaster.

Is there any scientific evidence to support the idea that solar activity can cause a disaster in 2012?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support this idea. The sun goes through regular cycles of increased and decreased activity, and while it can have some effects on Earth, they are not catastrophic. Scientists monitor solar activity closely and there is no indication of a major disaster occurring in 2012 or any other year.

What is the worst-case scenario for solar activity in 2012?

The worst-case scenario for solar activity in 2012 would be a severe solar storm that could potentially disrupt communication systems, GPS, and power grids. However, the likelihood of this happening is very low and scientists are constantly monitoring the sun to predict and prepare for any potential impacts on Earth.

Could solar activity have any positive effects on Earth in 2012?

Yes, solar activity can have some positive effects on Earth. Solar flares and coronal mass ejections can create beautiful auroras in the sky, and increased solar activity can also lead to brighter and more active northern lights displays. Additionally, solar energy from the sun is essential for supporting life on Earth.

What precautions should be taken for potential solar activity in 2012?

As with any potential natural disaster, it is always important to stay informed and prepared. Scientists and organizations closely monitor solar activity and will issue warnings if necessary. It is always a good idea to have a plan in place for potential disruptions in communication or power systems. However, there is no need for excessive fear or panic about solar activity in 2012 or any other year.