2D Gauss' Law applied to an infinite cylinder

In summary, The conversation discusses Gauss' law applied to a 2D cross-section of an infinite charged cylinder. The equation given in the text is ∫E.n dl = 4πσ, where E is the electric field on the Gauss surface, n is the unit normal to the surface, dl is an element of length along the circumference of the surface, and σ is the charge per unit length along the cylinder. However, the right side of the equation should be the charge enclosed times some constant, but it is only σ. This discrepancy is resolved by understanding that σ is the charge per unit length along the axis of the cylinder and the total charge is σ*L. The conversation also discusses the concept of a 2D Gauss'
Geofleur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello,

I've been working my way through Mathematics for Physicists by Dennery and Krzywicki and, on page 65, they assert that Gauss' law applied to a 2D cross-section along an infinite charged cylinder is:

∫E.n dl = 4πσ

where E is the electric field on the Gauss surface (a circle around the cylinder), n is the unit normal to this surface, dl is an element of length along the circumference of the Gauss surface, and σ is the charge per unit length along the cylinder.

The right side of the 2D Gauss' law should be the charge enclosed times some constant, and the charge enclosed is the circumference of the cylinder times the charge density, no? But then I get

∫E.n dl = 2πrσ (times some constant)

where r is the radius of the cylinder enclosed. Why is there no radius factor on the right hand side of the equation given in the text? Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the problem setup?

Physics news on Phys.org
Geofleur said:
The right side of the 2D Gauss' law should be the charge enclosed times some constant, and the charge enclosed is the circumference of the cylinder times the charge density, no?
Note that σ is the charge per unit length along the axis of the cylinder, so the total charge is σ*L. (But they divide out the L on both sides.)

Yes, I see it now. Thanks!

I did fiddle with the idea that σ was along axis but, because the cylinder was said to be infinite I thought that the charge contained in a 2D slice would have to be zero. It seemed to me like calculating the probability that a particle would be at an exact point when it's position is governed by a (non-delta function) probability density - you'd get zero, right? I'll have to think about why the analogy doesn't carry over...

Even though the answer is numerically right, there's a severe flaw. Gauss law is about the flux of the electric field through a closed surface. It stems from the divergence theorem. In a very long charged cylinder the field lines point radially and we choose, as a gaussian closed surface another cylinder, coaxial with the first one. The cylinder's ends contribute with zero to the flux because the normal vector is perpendicular to the field lines and so you get the result posted in the OP. To the best of my knowledge there's no 2D Gauss law; at best it would only be a simplified version of the right one

Gordianus said:
To the best of my knowledge there's no 2D Gauss law
That's correct. I have no idea why the problem statement says "2D Gauss' Law". It's the same old 3D Gauss' law applied to an infinite cylinder of charge.

Geofleur said:
I did fiddle with the idea that σ was along axis but, because the cylinder was said to be infinite I thought that the charge contained in a 2D slice would have to be zero.
Of course, a real 2D slice would have zero charge, but that's not what's going on. They are taking just taking a Gaussian surface--a cylinder of some unspecified length--and applying the usual 3D Gauss' law. Nothing really 2D about it.

1. What is 2D Gauss' Law applied to an infinite cylinder?

2D Gauss' Law is a mathematical principle that allows us to calculate the electric field around an infinitely long cylinder. It states that the electric flux through any closed surface around the cylinder is equal to the total enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of the medium.

2. How is 2D Gauss' Law applied to an infinite cylinder different from 3D Gauss' Law?

2D Gauss' Law is a simplified version of 3D Gauss' Law, which is used for calculating the electric field around any three-dimensional object. The main difference is that 2D Gauss' Law only considers the electric field in the radial direction, while 3D Gauss' Law takes into account the electric field in all three dimensions.

3. What is the formula for 2D Gauss' Law applied to an infinite cylinder?

The formula for 2D Gauss' Law applied to an infinite cylinder is: E = λ/2πε0r, where E is the electric field, λ is the linear charge density, ε0 is the permittivity of the medium, and r is the distance from the center of the cylinder.

4. What are the assumptions made in 2D Gauss' Law applied to an infinite cylinder?

There are two main assumptions made in 2D Gauss' Law applied to an infinite cylinder. First, the cylinder is assumed to be infinitely long, meaning that the electric field does not vary along its length. Second, the electric field is assumed to be in the radial direction only, with no components in the tangential or axial directions.

5. Can 2D Gauss' Law be applied to a finite cylinder?

Yes, 2D Gauss' Law can be applied to a finite cylinder as long as the cylinder is long enough so that the electric field can be considered constant along its length. However, the calculation may be more complex as the electric field will not be constant at the ends of the cylinder. In this case, 3D Gauss' Law may be a better approach to calculating the electric field.