1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2nd order DE+ question on theory

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I must solve [itex]x(1-x)y''+4y'+2y=0[/itex].
    According to Boyce and Di Prima's book, Paul's note on DE on the internet and the notes of my professor, such a DE is homogeneous. However if I use the definition of homogeneous "[itex]f(tx,ty)=t^nf(x,y)[/itex]", I don't find that's it's homogeneous of any order n. Why is this? I had to assume that if y transforms into ty, then y' transforms into t^2y' and y'' transforms into t^3y''. Seems like it's wrong but I don't understand why.
    Back to the problem, I notice that x(1-x), the term in front of y'' isn't non zero for x=0 and x=1, thus I can have troubles if I divide the whole equation by x(1-x) (if I'm right, I can't assume there will be only 1 solution to the DE, but there might be an infinity even given initial conditions).

2. Relevant equations
    I tried to figure out in books/Internet but I don't understand well if they give a general solution/method to find the general solution to the DE...
    For instance, in Paul's notes, I think that the page would be http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/FundamentalSetsofSolutions.aspx but I don't know how to proceed in my example. It seems like all the guys who write about DE assume that I already know solutions to the DE but here I don't know any solution so I don't know how to start.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Stuck on starting. I would like a reference to a book or better, a page on the internet. (I'm not asking a solution here :) ).
    Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted