2nd order DE+ question on theory

In summary, a 2nd order differential equation is an equation involving the second derivative of an unknown function, commonly used in physics and engineering. To solve it, one can use methods like separation of variables or substitution. These equations are important in science as they allow for modeling and predicting dynamic systems. The theory behind them also has real-world applications in various fields. An example is the damped harmonic oscillator, used in mechanical engineering for designing shock absorbers.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I must solve [itex]x(1-x)y''+4y'+2y=0[/itex].
According to Boyce and Di Prima's book, Paul's note on DE on the internet and the notes of my professor, such a DE is homogeneous. However if I use the definition of homogeneous "[itex]f(tx,ty)=t^nf(x,y)[/itex]", I don't find that's it's homogeneous of any order n. Why is this? I had to assume that if y transforms into ty, then y' transforms into t^2y' and y'' transforms into t^3y''. Seems like it's wrong but I don't understand why.
Back to the problem, I notice that x(1-x), the term in front of y'' isn't non zero for x=0 and x=1, thus I can have troubles if I divide the whole equation by x(1-x) (if I'm right, I can't assume there will be only 1 solution to the DE, but there might be an infinity even given initial conditions).

Homework Equations

I tried to figure out in books/Internet but I don't understand well if they give a general solution/method to find the general solution to the DE...
For instance, in Paul's notes, I think that the page would be http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/FundamentalSetsofSolutions.aspx but I don't know how to proceed in my example. It seems like all the guys who write about DE assume that I already know solutions to the DE but here I don't know any solution so I don't know how to start.

The Attempt at a Solution

Stuck on starting. I would like a reference to a book or better, a page on the internet. (I'm not asking a solution here :) ).
Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your question with us. I understand your confusion about the homogeneity of the given differential equation. Let me try to explain why it is not homogeneous of any order.

First, let's review the definition of a homogeneous differential equation. A differential equation of the form y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = 0 is said to be homogeneous if both p(x) and q(x) are functions of x only (i.e. they do not depend on y). In your equation, x(1-x) is a function of x only, but the term y'' is not. This means that your equation is not homogeneous.

You are correct in noting that if y transforms into ty, then y' transforms into t^2y' and y'' transforms into t^3y''. This is because of the chain rule in differentiation. However, this does not make the equation homogeneous. In fact, if you plug in ty for y and t^3y'' for y'' into the original equation, you will see that it does not simplify to t^n times the original equation. This is another indication that the equation is not homogeneous.

Now, regarding your question about finding a general solution to the equation, I would recommend looking into the method of variation of parameters. This is a technique for solving non-homogeneous linear differential equations like the one you have. You can find more information and examples of this method in most differential equations textbooks, such as Boyce and Di Prima. Additionally, you can find online resources that explain the method, such as this page from the MIT OpenCourseWare website: https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathema...ns-spring-2010/readings/MIT18_03S10_notes.pdf

I hope this helps you in your understanding and further exploration of this problem. Best of luck with your studies.

1. What is a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is an equation that involves the second derivative of an unknown function. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model dynamic systems.

2. How do you solve a 2nd order differential equation?

To solve a 2nd order differential equation, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or the method of undetermined coefficients. It is important to first identify the type of equation and choose the appropriate method.

3. What is the importance of 2nd order differential equations in science?

2nd order differential equations are important in science because they allow us to model and predict the behavior of dynamic systems, such as the motion of objects, the flow of fluids, and the growth of populations. They are also used to solve problems in engineering, economics, and other fields.

4. How does the theory behind 2nd order differential equations relate to real-world applications?

The theory behind 2nd order differential equations provides us with a mathematical framework to understand and analyze real-world phenomena. By studying the behavior of these equations, we can make predictions and solve problems in various fields, such as physics, biology, and economics.

5. Can you give an example of a 2nd order differential equation in action?

An example of a 2nd order differential equation in action is the damped harmonic oscillator. This equation describes the motion of a mass attached to a spring, where the damping factor affects the rate of decay of the oscillations. This equation has many applications, such as in mechanical engineering for designing shock absorbers.