Solving 2nd Order Diff Eq in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses a quantum mechanics problem that involves a differential equation. The person is having difficulty solving the equation with variable coefficients and is wondering if there is an alternative form or a way to reduce the order of the equation. The expert suggests looking at the solutions of the differential equation, which are related to the Hermite polynomials.
ELog
So I was trying a few quantum mechanics problems and encountered this diff eq:

[tex]\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2}{\partialx^2}\psi(x) + \frac{1}{2}kx^2\psi(x) = E\psi(x)[/tex]

I put it into the form:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partialx^2}\psi(x) + (\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2} - \frac{m}{\hbar^2}kx^2)\psi(x) = 0[/tex]

But there is where I'm having difficulty. Is there an alternative form that would be easier to solve, or is there any way to reduce the order of the diff eq? I'm not used to second-orders with variable coefficients. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

NOTE: k is an (apparently arbitrary) constant and has no quantum meaning in this context.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Solving 2nd Order Diff Eq in Quantum Mechanics

1. What is a 2nd order differential equation in quantum mechanics?

A 2nd order differential equation in quantum mechanics is an equation that describes the behavior and evolution of quantum systems. It involves the second derivative of a wave function, which represents the state of a quantum system.

2. Why is solving 2nd order differential equations important in quantum mechanics?

Solving 2nd order differential equations is crucial in quantum mechanics because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of quantum systems. These equations are used to find the wave function, which contains all the information about a quantum system.

3. How do you solve 2nd order differential equations in quantum mechanics?

To solve a 2nd order differential equation in quantum mechanics, we typically use mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or series expansion. The specific method used depends on the form of the equation and the initial conditions given.

4. What are the applications of solving 2nd order differential equations in quantum mechanics?

The applications of solving 2nd order differential equations in quantum mechanics are vast. It is used in fields such as quantum chemistry, quantum computing, and quantum optics to understand and manipulate the behavior of quantum systems. It also plays a crucial role in predicting and interpreting the outcomes of experiments in quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any challenges in solving 2nd order differential equations in quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are some challenges in solving 2nd order differential equations in quantum mechanics. One major challenge is the complexity of these equations, which often require advanced mathematical techniques to solve. Additionally, the behavior of quantum systems can be unpredictable, making it difficult to accurately model and solve these equations.