1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2nd order differential equation

1. Feb 19, 2010 #1
    I have the following equation

d^2y/dx^2 +4dy/dx +8y = 4sin(2x) - 12cos(2x) y(0)=1 & y'(0)=-6

For the auxillary eqation I have (m + 2)^2 = sqrt -4

which gives m=-2-2i & m=-2+2i

Which gives y=e^-2x(Ccos(-2x) + Dsin(-2x))

Now to tackle particular integral.

Try y=acos(2x) + bsin(2x)

After differentiatiing twice and equating I have a=-5 and b=-9

Finally I get y=e^-2x(Ccos(-2x) + Dsin(-2x)) - 5cos(2x) -9sin(2x)

After aplying the initial conditions my final answer is

y=6e^-2xcos(-2x) - 18e^-2sin(-2x) - 5cos(2x) - 9sin(2x)

In all my working it is only e that is raised to the power of -2x, I know it looks like the whole statement is raised but it isnt, the e^-2x is multiplied by the trig expression.

James

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What's your question? You can check your solution yourself by confirming that for your solution,
    1. y(0) = 1 and y'(0) = -6, and
    2. y'' + 4y' + 8y = 4sin(2x) - 12cos(2x)

4. Feb 19, 2010 #3
    That's just it! I've tried putting my solution back in n it doesn't work... I'm gonna have another go at it but I can't see where I've gone wrong!

5. Feb 19, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your particular solution -5cos(2x)-9sin(2x) is wrong. It doesn't solve y''+4y'+8y=4*sin(2x)-12*cos(2x). There's something wrong with how you got 'a=-5 and b=-9'.

6. Feb 19, 2010 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You made a mistake on you calculation of the coefficients of your particular solution. I get a = -1, b = -1.

Also, the solution to the homogeneous equation should be yp = e-2x(C*cos(2x) + D*sin(2x)). You have cos(-2x) and sin(-2x).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook