2nd Order Linear DE (homogeneous/wronskian/euler-cauchy)

In summary, the given differential equation has a solution of y(t) = t, and to find a second, linearly independent solution, the Wronskian was used to show that y(t) = t^-4 is a potential solution. However, since the Wronskian is only non-zero for certain values of t, the problem does not include a range for t and the leading coefficient of the DE is zero at t = 0, making it a singular point. It is therefore unclear if t^-4 is a valid solution for the DE.
anthony:)

Homework Statement

The equation [tex]t^2y'' + 4ty' -4y = 0[/tex]

has a solution of [tex]y(t) = t[/tex].

Find a second, linearly independent solution.

2. The attempt at a solution

Ok so I just applied the Cauchy Euler equation method to find a general solution of

[tex]y = c1*t^-4 + c2*t[/tex]

Where c1 and c2 are constants.

The problem stated that t was already a solution so I'm assuming that [tex]t^-4[/tex] is the other solution.

To determine whether they were linearly independent, I found the Wronkian which was

[tex]-5t^-4[/tex]

I know that two solutions of a DE are linearly independent if the wronkian is non-zero for all points where the solution space is defined, but in this case, the wronskian is only zero if t> 0 or t < 0. But it will be zero if t=0.

The problem does not include a range for t...

So basically, my question is : Could [tex]t^-4[/tex] be a second linearly independent solution of the DE?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi anthony:)! welcome to pf! :smile:

(use {} round an exponent or subscript if it's more than one character :wink:)
anthony:) said:
To determine whether they were linearly independent, I found the Wronkian which was

[tex]-5t^{-4}[/tex]

I know that two solutions of a DE are linearly independent if the wronkian is non-zero for all points where the solution space is defined, but in this case, the wronskian is only zero if t> 0 or t < 0. But it will be zero if t=0. …

but y = t and y = t-4 are obviously independent!

i think you only need to look at the wronskian to check independence if you don't already know what the solutions are :wink:

Sorry I'm kind of slow...

Thanks

anthony:) said:

[tex]-5t^-4[/tex]

I know that two solutions of a DE are linearly independent if the wronkian is non-zero for all points where the solution space is defined, but in this case, the wronskian is only zero if t> 0 or t < 0. But it will be zero if t=0.

The problem does not include a range for t...

You mean the Wronskian is non-zero if t > 0 or t < 0. And it is not zero when t = 0; it is undefined.

Also note that the leading coefficient of the DE is zero when t = 0. That gives a singular point at t = 0 which is why the domain for the solution doesn't include t = 0.

1. What is a 2nd Order Linear Differential Equation?

A 2nd Order Linear Differential Equation (DE) is a mathematical equation that involves a function, its derivatives, and independent variable, where the highest derivative present is a second derivative. It is in the form of y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = g(x), where p(x) and q(x) are functions of x, and g(x) is a function of x.

2. What is the Homogeneous Solution of a 2nd Order Linear DE?

The homogeneous solution of a 2nd Order Linear DE is the solution to the equation when g(x) = 0. In other words, it is the solution to y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = 0. It is also known as the complementary function or the complementary solution.

3. What is the Wronskian in relation to 2nd Order Linear DE?

The Wronskian is a determinant that is used to determine the linear independence of two functions. In the context of 2nd Order Linear DE, the Wronskian is used to determine if two solutions to the homogeneous equation are linearly independent. This is important because if they are linearly independent, then they can be used to form the general solution of the equation.

4. What is the Euler-Cauchy Equation and how is it related to 2nd Order Linear DE?

The Euler-Cauchy Equation is a specific type of 2nd Order Linear DE that can be solved using the substitution method. It is in the form of x2y'' + axy' + by = 0, where a and b are constants. This equation is related to 2nd Order Linear DE because it is a special case that can be solved using the same methods as other 2nd Order Linear DEs.

5. How are 2nd Order Linear DEs used in real-world applications?

2nd Order Linear DEs are used in many fields of science and engineering to model real-world phenomena. They can be used to describe physical systems such as oscillations, electrical circuits, and heat transfer. They are also commonly used in economic models and population dynamics. Solving 2nd Order Linear DEs allows us to make predictions and analyze the behavior of these systems in a mathematical framework.