3 different solutions to the same integral

• Thread starter Karol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the three different functions have the same derivative because the slope of the tangent at x1 is the same for all three functions.
Karol

Homework Statement

Snap2.jpg
Snap4.jpg

Homework Equations

$$\frac{dy}{dx}=f(x)~\rightarrow~dy=f(x)dx~\rightarrow~y=\int f(x)dx$$

The Attempt at a Solution

If the interpretation of an integral is the derivative at that point, x1 for example, then these can't all be solutions since the tangent, the derivatives, at x1 are different.
The constant C can't compensate for that since it shifts the graph up or down, not to the sides, as the solutions ##~\sin^2x+C_1## and ##~\cos^2x+C_2## are, but the solution ##-\frac{1}{2}\cos(2x)+C_3## is neither that nor that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Karol said:
If the interpretation of an integral is the derivative at that point ...

An integral is not a derivative. It's an anti-derivative. If you differentiate two functions that differ by a constant, you get the same derivative

PeroK said:
An integral is not a derivative. It's an anti-derivative. If you differentiate two functions that differ by a constant, you get the same derivative
My mistake, of course an integral is an anti-derivative. if i differentiate these 3 functions i indeed get ##~2\sin x\cos x~##, how come? indeed the slopes to the graphs of these functions differ for the same x. so my question is can 3 different functions have the same derivative?

Karol said:
My mistake, of course an integral is an anti-derivative. if i differentiate these 3 functions i indeed get ##~2\sin x\cos x~##, how come? indeed the slopes to the graphs of these functions differ for the same x. so my question is can 3 different functions have the same derivative?

##f(x) = x+1##
##g(x) = x+2##
##h(x) = x + 3##

Three different functions. Same derivative.

Karol said:
In fact, an infinite number of functions can have the same derivative, provided that all of the functions are vertical translations of one another. For example, y = x2, y = x2 + 1, y = x2 + 2, etc. all have exactly the same derivative.

And, of course:

##f(x) = \sin^2(x)##
##g(x) = -\cos^2(x)##
##h(x) = -\frac12 \cos(2x)##

Indeed:
1.JPG
Strange, since these functions without the cubes look different

Karol said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 114571 View attachment 114572

Homework Equations

$$\frac{dy}{dx}=f(x)~\rightarrow~dy=f(x)dx~\rightarrow~y=\int f(x)dx$$

The Attempt at a Solution

If the interpretation of an integral is the derivative at that point, x1 for example, then these can't all be solutions since the tangent, the derivatives, at x1 are different.
The constant C can't compensate for that since it shifts the graph up or down, not to the sides, as the solutions ##~\sin^2x+C_1## and ##~\cos^2x+C_2## are, but the solution ##-\frac{1}{2}\cos(2x)+C_3## is neither that nor that.

You seem to have forgotten the basic trigonometric identities.

Ray Vickson said:
You seem to have forgotten the basic trigonometric identities.
I know: ##~\sin^2 x+\cos^2 x=1~\rightarrow~\sin^2x=1-\cos^2 x##
And not just ##~-\cos^2 x~##.
$$\cos(2x)=\cos^2 x-\sin^2 x=2\cos^2 x-1=1-2\sin^2 x$$

Karol said:
I know: ##~\sin^2 x+\cos^2 x=1~\rightarrow~\sin^2x=1-\cos^2 x##
And not just ##~-\cos^2 x~##.
$$\cos(2x)=\cos^2 x-\sin^2 x=2\cos^2 x-1=1-2\sin^2 x$$

Now you have forgotten the constants of integration. We have ##\cos^2 x + C_1 = -\sin^2 x + C_2## for some constants of integration ##C_1,C_2##. There is no contradiction. You will notice in the book extract you included that the book used three separate constants of integration.

But:
$$-\frac{1}{2}\cos(2x)\neq -2\sin^2 x+C$$
Snap2.jpg

Karol said:
But:
$$-\frac{1}{2}\cos(2x)\neq -2\sin^2 x+C$$
See post #6 for the correct relationship.

$$-\frac{1}{2}\cos(2x)=-\frac{1}{2}+\sin^2 x=\sin^2 x+C$$
You're right.
Thank you PeroK, Mark44 and Ray Vickson

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total amount of a changing quantity over a specific interval.

2. Why are there multiple solutions to the same integral?

There can be multiple solutions to the same integral because there are different methods or techniques that can be used to solve it. These methods can lead to different but equivalent solutions.

3. What are the three most common methods for solving integrals?

The three most common methods for solving integrals are the substitution method, integration by parts, and the method of partial fractions. These methods involve manipulating the integral in different ways to make it easier to solve.

4. How do you know which method to use for a specific integral?

The choice of method for solving an integral depends on the form of the integral and the techniques that you are comfortable with. It is helpful to practice all three methods to become familiar with their applications.

5. Can all integrals be solved using these three methods?

No, not all integrals can be solved using these three methods. Some integrals require more advanced techniques or specialized methods. It is important to have a solid understanding of these three methods as they can be applied to a wide range of integrals.