1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 identical springs hanging from ceiling

1. May 6, 2006 #1
    I got the following problem wrong, and don't know why, so hopefully somebody would be able to help me out!

Three identical (massless) springs are hung from the ceiling.
    Spring 1: Nothing hung from spring. The spring's bottom is 0.2 m below the ceiling.
    Spring 2: A 7 N object is hung from the spring. The spring's bottom is 0.5 m below the ceiling.
    Spring 3: An object of unknown weight is hung from the spring. The spring's bottom is 1 m below the ceiling.

a. Find the spring constant that each spring has.
    b. Find the weight of the unknown object.

For A, I used k = 4pi^2(0.7143)/1. I got 0.7143 as my mass by using F=ma, and I used 1 for T, since no time or frequency was given for either of the 3 springs. I guess since part A was wrong, that answer led to my answer for part B to be wrong also.

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2006 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are using the wrong equation. That equation can only be used when the mass is oscillating!!!!

And I have no idea how you got your mass!

No, use that at equilibrium, k x = mg. You then find the spring constant from spring 2. Since they are identical, they all have the same k.
    Now use that equation again to find the mass for spring 3 (the answer will be obvious)

4. May 6, 2006 #3
    I got the same answer I had before. 14? Or should it be -14?

5. May 6, 2006 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

14 N/m is the correct answer (k is never negative). Are you saying this is the wrong answer?

EDIT: Wait, I had not noticed the 0.2 meter of spring 1. So you must use a distance of 0.3 m, not 0.5m in the equation!

6. May 6, 2006 #5
    Oh, so it's the distance below the original location of the spring without a mass?

7. May 6, 2006 #6

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. In the equation kx = mg, the x represents the *extra stretch* of the spring when the mass is attached as compared to when there was no mass at all.

8. May 6, 2006 #7
    So 23.3 = k, and the weight of the unknown object is 18.64?

9. May 6, 2006 #8
    Never mind, it's correct, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?