1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[3-in-1] Radioactivity detection, Lightning & Magnetic field strength

1. Apr 27, 2007 #1

Methods/equipment for radioactivity detection.
    For my high-school Chemistry studies, needs clarification.

Geiger counter:

A small chamber contains a high voltage electric field inside filled with inert gas. When ionizing particles/radiation enters the chamber, it will ionise the inert gas atoms, giving them a charge which will attract them to the cathode, conducting electricity which is registered on a meter.

Cloud chamber:

A chamber that contains super-saturated liquid vapours (water or alcohol?) and as radioactive particles/radiation enters the chamber they will ionize particles inside which can be traced.

That's all I know, there's the Scintillation counter and radioactive film badges I'm not clear about and I heard there's something called the bubble chamber which apparently superseded the cloud chamber.

If lightning can create 100A in 0.1s, when a person is struck by this why have there been cases where this unfortunate victim has survived ?

Question: Define magnetic field strength (T)
    Answer: Magnetic flux density (Wb.m-2)

True ?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted